“Sometimes you do get more than you pay for”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
London
“Sometimes you do get more than you pay for”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I am not one to dish out 5 stars for everything or to argue that everyone who disagrees with me can't have stayed in the same place, but I really do struggle to understand some of the negative things about this place. I have just returned from a 2-day stay there and absolutely loved it.

There is an undoubted 'wow' factor in driving down the approach to see this Victorian take on an Elizabethan mansion. But the inside was not the disappointment that some seemed to feel. It is quite plush, with friendly and helpful staff, decent sized rooom and, at the price of £68 per night for a double that I got online, excellent breakfast included, an absolute steal.

After a rather mediocre salad at lunch, our expectations for dinner were not high. However, the option of a £20 themed three-course meal or carvery, with one child eating free for each paying adult, was exceptionally good value. The Italian on the first night was a lot better than the carvery on the second and sometimes the service got slow because of the high occupancy, but these are minor details and I would feel petty quibbling anything.

It is mainly a golf hotel and I can't comment on the course, but it does make for lovely grounds in which to walk our dog - it is both child- and dog-friendly, which is not that common in golf hotels. The pool and gym are also well above average.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Polish first
Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel with lots of character there were just a few things that let it down for me.

Swimming pool, steam, jacuzzi and sauna area were lovely and a real bonus.

We booked a deluxe room which was fine just nothing made is stand out as 'deluxe'. We weren't very happy with cleanliness in bathroom, little hairs up the wall in shower so it hadn't been cleaned properly. We had half a toilet roll so ran out by evening had to ring reception to ask for more but it never arrived. The bottle of water in the room was half full. We asked for another of those which did arrive. Overall had the impression that housekeeping had only half serviced the room!!

Food in the restaurant was average nothing spectacular. Breakfast was ok.

Good points were service, nearly all the staff friendly polite and keen to help. Grounds and character of building and lovely bar areas and places to sit.

There were 2 weddings going on and hotel felt quite full so could account for the drop in standard of what we would expect from a hotel of this class.

Overall was a good stay and probably would return. We aren't people who complain so in fairness to hotel didn't complain about anything whilst there.

• Stayed August 2013
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Dunston Hall is entirely phony. First impressions are good: it looks like a beautifully preserved Jacobean mansion (it isn't, it was built in the 1850s). I had a spacious, nicely appointed room with a large bed (springs had gone) with air conditioning (which didn't work).

But all that would be forgiven if it hadn't been for the food. I ate in the Brasserie restaurant - a cavernous, ugly, noisy barn. There were three menu choices: the first was a curry, which looked really nice, and is the door I wish I had opened. Most people were taking the carvery options, but this seemed to me to be tired, listless food served by tired, listless people. So I chose the a la carte menu, If you ever go to the Dunston Hall, don't make this mistake.

I ordered a bottle from the quirky but overpriced wine menu and looked forward to my pancetta and black pudding scotch egg. Not bad, but no evidence of black pudding. But the main meal, the lamb, was just dreadful. It managed to be fatty, gristly and tasteless, and was served on a bed of undercooked potatoes and onions braised in Bisto.. and this had cost me twenty quid! Three forkfuls was enough, and I moved onto the cheesecake, which was chewy and stale.

The staff clearly are hardened to dissatisfied diners - the person next to me was complaining loudly about their 'dry, fibrous chicken' and didn't seem to care, and neither did the staff at checkout.

So if you must stay at Dunston Hall, and I urge you to think again, don't eat there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank lazy_diver

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have numerous medical conditions and need a gluten free menu which makes staying away from home both stressful and hard work at times but Dunston Hall and their staff went completely out of their way to make sure my stay was relaxing and enjoyable. If you have any special dietary requirements like me I really recommend staying here. And on top of all that the hotel, Spa and surroundings are beautiful. I cannot praise the staff enough and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel or stay again

Room Tip: We book a Spa break which included B&B, 3 course meal, 60 minute spa treatment and use of spa fo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
dorset uk
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed here as part of a (senior) coach party for four nights. Our first impression was, what a grand house/hotel but one of the first disappointments was that the nearly all of the160 acres of 'landscaped grounds' was Golf Course and off limits to guests to walk around. The approved walk took us out of the grounds along busy narrow lanes and not what we expected. Flower beds around the terrace were half empty and neglected.
The room was ok although the bed mattress dipped in the middle making uncomfortable sleeping.
The Hotel is remote so unless you have your own transport you are stuck there with no entertainment other than the room tv.
The worst part of our stay was the meals. Breakfast was fine apart from barely warm overcooked hot food which I tried once.
Evening meals were a disgrace. Over four nights we were served the same veg and the same carvery and again most was warm and tasteless. Four Star, more like two!
The is primarily a Golfers hotel with nothing else to offer, for us at least, other than a swimming pool and a gym.
The staff were very good, attentive and helpful but I wish there was something more positive I could say about this hotel but there isn't.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed for one night with friends. The hotel is a beautiful building & the grounds are stunning as well. Reception was great, there was a large queue but drinks were offered & it didn't take too long & the receptionist was very friendly. I had stayed before & found the room dated but this time our rooms were lovely. Large, very clean & comfortable. It was my friends birthday & she had a box of chocolates from the staff along with a birthday card. My husband had only briefly mentioned this when booking so we were really impressed with this. We had dinner in the hotel & it was really delicious. Again the staff were very friendly yet professional. It really is worth exploring the building as it is so full of character. We couldn't fault anything about our stay & will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Beautiful stately building and approach up the drive to the hall was stunning. The reception area was pretty average, but the bar area was quite grand but could do with freshening up. Unfortunately the rooms could do with an overhaul, they had very old, tired decor. The beds were comfortable but unfortunately their was no airconditioning and as the day had been rather hot it was quite unbearable even with a ceiling fan, a portable fan and the windows open. Couldn't wait to get home for a good nights sleep. Also room not as clean as i would have liked but this was soon rectified by the house keeper.
Breakfast was very good and the guys in the party enjoyed their golf.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,102 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!