“simply lovely”

Dunston Hall
Bristol, United Kingdom
“simply lovely”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed here for a night for business
There is the nice mix of old and new. The old building is beautiful with oak panelling etc. My room was in the newer bit. Nice size good bed, quiet and nice furnished. Bath with shower over, the water could have been hotter but that is my only real complaint.
The pool is lovely with sauna etc and the gym is very good, not the most modern but good none the less.
Evening meal is not too expensive and is in nice surroundings, well presented and very tasty
Breakfast is a good buffet and well worth an indulgence.

Really overall very very good, just a couple of tweaks and it would be fabulous

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear Russell E
Many thanks for your feedback and i`m pleased you had such a good stay,do come and see us again soon
Kind Regards
Paul Murfitt
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Polish first
Terrington St John, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Me and my partner stayed for one night to celebrate our 10yr anniversary, we got a complimentary upgrade. On arrival to our room there was chocs, water and bottle of wine to help us celebrate. The room was lovely and the bed very comfy, service excellent when we needed help with the heating in the room it was sorted almost straight away. Breakfast was great with a wide selection of food. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the staff for making our anniversary special.

• Stayed November 2013
Paul M, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear stwephmerr
Thank you for your feedback and i`m glad you ahd a great saty and anniversary.Do come and see us again next year.
Kind Regards
Paul Murfitt
Operations Manager
Wigton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The hotel on 1st sight is very impressive very large a bit too large for me and very bland also we rang the restaurant to book a table for two we were told that they were full but if we got down there straight away and we were out in the next two hours they would be able fit us in on arriving at the restaurant of the 40 or so tables there was only about half a dozen in use we told the waitress at the door we had just booked and she said " She had no right to book us in as they were full " the eventually found us one of the thirty or so empty tables to have our dinner we were there about an hour and none of the other tables were still in use from that i take it that about thirty odd people must have given back word . either that or my face did not fit or my money wasnt good enough for them . maybe they didnt want a busy night that night

Room Tip: Dont expect too much
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joseph k
Essex
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Lovely building hard-working staff but nothing special as a hotel for a weekend break. The room was okay but jaded. The restaurant and bars were okay but jaded. Breakfast was a hot(ish) and cold buffet. Dinner also had a similar (optional) arrangement but labelled as a carvery. With a little more effort they may well raise the standard of their buffet/carvery to that of a good Toby Inn. One of our party mentioned that their food was cool and received a small discount. Personally I think they are more interested in looking after the golfers and spa customers than the hotel guests. I doubt very much if I will consider returning or recommending this place to anyone for a weekend break.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zarneywoop
Wickford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Visited this lovely hotel to attend an auction being held there. My partner and I along with my mum and our dog were given a very warm welcome. Everyone there was dog friendly and made a real fuss of our little fella! The rooms were very nice and not second rate as we've experienced in other hotels that accept dogs, there were also plenty of rubbish bins around in which to put 'doggie litter bags', something that is seriously lacking in other hotels that we've stayed in that claim to be dog friendly.

We dined in the Brasserie and chose the buffet option which at £19.95 for 3 courses was very good value. There was a selection of cold starters (I didn't try these but my partner said they were nice) then a choice of hot meats and a couple of vegetarian options available along with good variety of vegetables for main course which was very nice. The dessert choice was excellent although marred for me as all but a couple of them were garnished with strawberries which I'm allergic to! Having said that, the bannoffee pie I had was delicious. The buffet breakfast was nice enough, never as good as having breakfast freshly cooked and served to you but I guess trying to cook as many breakfasts as would be required in a hotel of this size individually would be impossible without a huge kitchen team, which I guess would then push the cost up ridiculously!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Yateley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel this weekend 25th-27th. A lovely building, room 533 was a good size, bed comfortable, clean towels room clean, but the mould on the tiles behind the taps was black.
The cleaning staff need to be shown how to clean the tiles!! The staff are very pleasant and helpful. There was quite a trek from reception to this room, so you need to be quite fit and strong to get your luggage from car park along corridors, down steps, along corridors, then into a lift and then along the final corridor to this room.
The service in the restaurant was very good, drink prices not reasonable, if you want a drink take your own and drink it in your room. A friend of ours bought two double single malt whiskeys and the bill was £20.60.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jillatbeesmart
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed this weekend. Great building. Checked in fine. Room was a good size and bed comfy. However there was black mould on the windows, the wallpaper was hanging off in places, the bathroom was mould ridden, the toilet wobbly and lime scale all over the taps and shower. Not what you expect from a
De vere 4 star hotel. The food was good from the buffet but you feel that the hotel lacks a silver service restaurant given it's image. The staff were very slow in the bar. I stood at the bar for twenty minutes before being asked if I was "ok". I was the only person at the bar and there were 4 people behind it. Ridiculous!! They were too busy playing on mobile phones and chatting amongst themselves. I had a massage in the spa and the staff were lovely and very good. The worse thing about the whole stay was the reception trying to say I had £85 on my rooms bill for drinks when it should have been £24!!! I queried and they got frustrated but when they eventually found the signed receipts and saw it was £24 and not £85 they didn't even apologise! Very poor customer service. Shame really, the building and grounds paint an image of a fantastic retreat, but the shabby interior and undertrained staff let it down.

• Stayed October 2013

#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!