“Premier Inn knocks spots off this place!”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Norfolk
“Premier Inn knocks spots off this place!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Too say I was disappointed is an under statement. Having stayed at a few Premier Inns I didn't expect to find Dunston Hall accommodation inferior to P.I.!!
The bathroom was disgusting, filthy floor, dirty grouting and broken tiles. Flushing the toilet wakes up your neighbours and likewise you hear them flush too. After you have got over the toilet noise prepare yourself for the gurgling sink.
This hotel is in need of some major t.l.c from De Vere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Due to work my wife and I decided to have a night away at Dunston Hall to celebrate Valentines early. We arrived at approx 1pm and the room wasn't ready so we went and sat in the conservatory to relax and unwind a little with a few drinks. We went to get our key to the room about 3:30pm, when we got to the room the smell of paint was very strong so we had to open the windows to clear the smell. Around the building itself it does look like they are trying to tidy the place up and the paint is one of those things I suppose. We had booked a meal on the evening in the carvery and our last visit to the carvery was not very good. We were seated in the conservatory area of the restaurant and the service I must say all the way through the meal has improved massively compared to our last visit. The food I think is still a bit expensive for what you get at £14.50 for a carvery. One thing for the management to note its nice to have warm plates but they were so hot that I had to use about 5 serviettes to hold my plate, someone will burn themselves they are so hot.
Overall from our last visit the hotel seems to have been tidied up and the service in the carvery has certainly improved.
The room was very warm even though they had no heating on but that could of been the drink that seemed to make it hotter. Room size and bathroom very good, room just painted as said earlier but the bathroom also needs to be updated as the splash door to the shower did have a bit of mould and black on the base of it.

Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Dunston Hall is a beautiful old house set in lovely grounds. Our room was in the newer wing. It was a good size, clean and warm though the bathroom looked as though it could do with an update. We had dinner at the hotel on our first night. We had a choice of menus, the inclusive one offered a buffet selection and a carvery. The carvery was one of the best I've had. There was a choice of beef, gammon and turkey, plenty of vegetables and really nice roast potatoes. Breakfast the next morning also offered a buffet thought there were freshly-cooked dishes too. We especially liked the coffee which actually tasted of coffee and not the weak stuff we've endured in other hotels. All staff were pleasant and helpful. It was a delightful weekend overall.

1 Thank Lupin52
herts-england
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed here Saturday night into Sunday morning. We had their dine and wine deal, bed, breakfast and dinner also bottle of wine on arrival. First time we'd been.
Staff were so friendly, so 10/10 for them, completely across the board. Only one issue with one member, she was a pain in the back side but didn't ruin anything.
The communal areas were spacious, comfortable and not over imposing from other guests, the décor and furnishings in these areas was stunning. The changing rooms were not great, really need updating and re doing of the whole area, the pool had a nice feel and ambience with the lighting but again they do need a revamp.
The bar to the golf club does normal 'bar' food, the terrace bar is the a la carte area. Drinks were very expensive on some, we was charged £3 for half a pint of coke! That seemed very ridiculous as a pint of Stella was £3.75????
The dinner was carvery or menu and was really good, the breakfast was buffet style or menu, again good.
The room was just a double, I think they need a revamp a little. They were old and everything in the bathroom was lime scaled and gave the appearance of looking dirty, bath panel heavily stained as the water flushes out of the bath when showering. But we only had one night so wasn't particularly put off. But I would say that I wouldn't risk upgrading to a more expensive suite/room seeing this in a standard double as it would really annoy me if I'd paid loads more and this was still like this in the other rooms.
I would stay again, I would only book a double and probably only when they have deals on.
The grounds are stunning and even though the rooms are a very slight let down, I would return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dodger_7
Reviewed 8 February 2014

my partner and i visited Dunston Hall for the second time in a few months to break up the bleariness of January!
the staff were all very friendly and professional, the food was truly delicious and the newly decorated bar was an excellent place to waste away a few hours!
i have a child, a 7 year old, however i do not believe that Dunston Hall is the place for children. they do not 'do' relaxing!
part of the attraction of a weekend away to Dunston is the excellent pool, sauna, steam room facilities. this was well and truly ruined by a party of approximately 8 10-11 year olds who were having a birthday party?! the mothers were all sat on the side of the pool chatting, completely oblivious to the chaos that the children in their 'care' were causing. it was clear that they were not staying at the hotel so i cal only assume one of the mothers was a leisure club member.why not take children somewhere with more facilities/slides etc?! seems like the mothers wanted as little effort as possible!
we had a room on the first floor in the new wing which as very nice. unfortunately at 6.20am on Sunday morning we were woken by a small child incessantly running up and down the floor space of the room above. it made the air con grid rattle everytime and made it impossible to sleep! after an hour of this noise my partner did go upstairs and politely ask them to control the child! i understand children get up early regardless of what day of the week it is, but why oh why put them on the top floor?!?!?!?
on the evening previous we booked dinner for 8.20pm, there were 2 of us and we were placed next to a very large table of approximately 12 people, clearly having some kind of family celebration. this is not a problem, the problem was the ratty toddler in a highchair who was approximately 3ft away from me!
i need to reiterate at this point i have a child and know how difficult it can be when they're tired but why not eat earlier?! (they had only just started their meal)
it would have been nice if there had some been thought regarding where a couple were placed to have a relaxing dinner

we highlighted all of our problems to the reception staff at checkout who dutifully wrote them all down on a piece of scrap paper, no idea what has happened from it!
we also had to attend reception 4 times in the space of a 2 night stay as out swipe card kept declining access to our room, annoying when we were so far away!!

i love Dunston Hall but i just feel like it needs to decide what it wants to be.
if it is family friendly then fine, but please don't market it as relaxing adult style getaway breaks!!!

Room Tip: get a room on the top floor and that way you won't be disturbed by from anyone staying above you...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clp1981
Reviewed 2 February 2014

For the price, not good value. Room was old with limescale, mould and stains in bathroom. Pool nice but cold, even Jacuzzi was cold. Rest of hotel looked sumptuous and classy, however, it had an oppressive feel to me. Not much daylight. Staff were friendly and helpful. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank cinnamonPhoenix
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Second stay in two months, on business. Last time was OK, but with a few reservations. This time things weren't as good though. The check in staff were polite but advised that my booking had been cancelled. In fairness, this was sorted but my entire visit was punctuated with questions about whether or not I was paying the bill.

My room was scabby. The door had boot marks on it, the veneer was flaky, paint and plaster finishes at the end of their life, the bedside lamp shade had been smashed before being coaxed back into shape....

I had an interconnecting room and noise transmission through the internal doors was severe. It didn't help that the occupant of the next room liked watching TV until 3 am but there was too much noise from both sides. The walls are too thin.

The carvery dinner was pretty good, but at £20 it was expensive. Service was good but diners are crammed in way too tight and it felt claustrophobic.

Although the room rate is broadly comparable to a Premier Inn, next time I'd actually prefer to stay in one because they are consistently in better repair, and guarantee a good night's sleep!

In summary: this place needs money spent on it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!