“Excellant Hotel”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very imposing building as you arrive along the driveway. Hotel is lovely. All rooms are clean and tidy and the staff are very courteous and polite. Loads to do during your stay with amongst othe things a lovely pool.
Good value for money and would recommend.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is a mid-stay review! We are regular De Vere visitors (we got married 16 years ago at Carden Park Chester!), however have never stayed here. Upon arrival there was a large queue at reception, but extra people were quickly drafted in and a nice chap was handing around biscuits and offering cups of tea and coffee which made the 5 minute wait no issue at all.

We are in a Chambre Unique and the room is lovely, in the new wing. Very up to date, Bluetooth Bose speakers and Sky TV. I suggest this is worth the upgrade but we are staying on a BOGOF Deal so it's a bargain anyway!

Afternoon tea was lovely in the Terrace Bar, sitting in the garden room. Sooooo much food! We had to take cake back to the room and may indulge in a midnight snack.

We visited the swimming area at about 6pm. It's a lovely pool and other facilities but was a bit let down by the dirty changing room floors and in the gents area the locks on the changing room lockers didn't work and the shower was coming away from the wall plus no shower gel in the gents either. Have to say the ladies was better although the floor needed a clean there too.

After a drive to old RAF Coltishall (ex RAF engineer for a husband) we headed back for a snack, again in the terrace bar. Service not as good at 9pm, I have to say! We had to find someone to order from, the order was incorrect and one dish came 10 minutes later than the other, however as soon as it was delivered we were told that it was free due to a mix up in the kitchen. That was a bonus! Having two nights here, so breakfast tomorrow will be a first for us.

The service from all staff has been pleasant and attentive (except meal order at 9pm but he was then gushing with apologies) and the decor seems lovely throughout so far. We are in a refurbished room though.

The grounds look lovely and we may even try the gym!

Room Tip: Pay that bit more for a Chambre Unique - try and get the deal though!
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Attended here one night for a wedding. Good location and building is very impressive and plenty of free parking. The rooms are nice and clean but the bathroom looked tired and in need of a good scrub around the tiles. The room was oppressively hot, even after turning the radiator off the room was still uncomfortable, the décor makes the room look very dark. Nice comfy big bed but the room was noisy - think it was the central heating pipes - humming through the night and at 6am - mentioned at check out and was offered a discount on our 'next stay'.

The bar area was cluttered and full of empty glasses, and the staff are slow and there are not very many of them which resulted in queues at every opportunity (i.e. the bar/check in/ check out/ breakfast) and they were not very attentive (almost bored) in my personal opinion.

The food was nice (not amazing), the drinks are expensive (captive audience), but the grounds are lovely. I wouldn't stay there again as I didn't think it was worth the money paid. On a positive note the breakfast buffet was very nice (although we had to wait to be seated and although we stated we were with the wedding, we were still seated across the room from our friends.)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We booked a two night stay special offer with dinner B&B in a king size room. They offered us the chance for a half price upgrade which we accepted - not really sure what extra we got for it, didn't get any robes in the room and not even shower caps!! When we arrived they advised that maintenance was being carried out and that we would not have any water in our room for at least two hours, this wasn't too much of a problem. The room itself was pleasant but the air conditioning unit was playing up and would only give out cold air. When reported they did get maintenance to reset the unit, but the same thing happened each morning, we had to phone reception to get it reset again and had to wait 30 mins or so to get heat. The restaurant was nice and food ok. Staff generally very helpful and friendly unfortunately because the maintenance of the hotel has lapsed somewhat they probably have many complaints to deal with and we did sympathise with them. The gym was very well equipped and a lot bigger than expected. The pool area again could do with some attention it's looking a little run-down, some showers didn't work too well in the changing room either.

Room Tip: We had room 540 which was at the end of the block - it was nice and quiet but the hotel was not that...
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I had booked my partner a business trip to De Vere Village in Warrington in 2010 and he hadn't stopped raving about it ever since... so as we regularly go for weekends away I decided to book a de vere hotel for our valentines treat. I had a look on their website and liked the look of Dunston Hall with its charming character and exterior I was hooked within a matter of minutes, so with no time to waste I booked with only 3 days to wait until we checked in.
Our first impressions were wow..... It looked stunning from the outside and even the reception area looked inviting..However when we got to our room i found it very dark, with darkish decor which is dated and a small window which didn't shed much light..but the room was clean apart from a bit of mould on window sill. The room had everything we needed, including trouser press, iron and ironing board. Tea and coffee facilities too.
After unpacking we went for lunch in the bar... now where do I start... The tables were too high for the very low chairs and could have not ate my lunch with out looking like "Wot No"..... we change to a comfy sofa with a treasure looking chest to eat out lunch off of which was no way ideal.... now for the food.... I had fish chips peas and tartare sauce which was absolutely gorgeous £13.95 and my partner had the dunston hall burger £13.95... The menu did not elaborate in detail about the food which is a shame as when choosing dessert I didn't no if the "chocolate tart" was milk, dark or white chocolate... If I had known it was a dark mud pie I would have avoided it like the plague as we don't like dark chocolate.... A waste of £6.50... I did think the prices at this hotel was a little bit pricey compared to others espicially when in the evening we decided to order a cheese board thinking there would be enough to share....It cost £8.50 and had 3 pieces of cheese, 5 biscuits some grapes and apple...not even a bit of chutney or pickle in sight.... I think I need councilling after ordering that.....Our breakfast was included and had everything we wanted from cooked to continental. ... loved the sausages by the way.....lush!!!
Didn't use either of the restaurants so could not possibly comment.... but they did look nice.
The pool area was lovely though and we spent the morning/afternoon using all the facilities. .. very nice...

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Akiradog33
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Myself and two girlfriends visited to celebrate a birthday, we had afternoon tea which was such good value for money, also they allowed us to swap the sandwich around as none of us like smoked salmon - without feeling like we were a hassle. The presentation was lovely and all of the food was lovely, there was a lot of food so rather than stuffing ourselves we opted to take some cakes home (they were too good to leave) when we asked the waiter to take some cakes home he offered to wrap them for us, but as it was confusing as to what we were taking we asked if he could just bring us the boxes and we would divide it between ourselves, he brought us a roll of tinfoil!! I was so embarrassed and I would have just left it, but my friend decided to wrap the cakes up much to my amusement. I think an establishment like this should invest in some small cardboard boxes, anything would be better than tinfoil. Also the toilets could do with some TLC as I felt like I was in a cafe, small critics but they do hold an impression over your visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed one night with dinner at Dunston Hall and found it to be ok. We live in Norfolk and needed a night away 'just us'. We had a fairly lengthy wait checking in as it was busy and only one member of staff, but we were offered an upgrade. As our original booking included dinner and a bottle of wine in our room - once upgraded our room was amiss the bottle of wine, but was quickly rectified by helpful staff. Our room was clean, comfy and VERY quiet so we had a great nights rest. Our evening dinner however was not so great. The restaurant was not easy to find though the food was delicious but we were initially seated in a cramped area with Saturday night carvery guests where we had about 15 inches between our VERY small tables. Serving staffs' bums nearly touched our table! Other diners were easily listening in to our conversations and it was awful. However once I asked to be moved, we were immediately moved to a much nicer table in a more spacious area. (Perhaps they should do this as a matter of course, for overnight guests and not seat us with the 'turn up and eat' guests on a Saturday night or the kids birthday parties which also take place). BUT we then had to wait an HOUR between our first and course and main meal and when dessert came, one of the orders was wrong. Bringing a cheese selection instead of cheesecake to someone who does not enjoy cheeses! Small complaints but its the small details that often make the difference Dunston Hall.

Room Tip: We had a room right at the back of the hotel, overlooking the car park for the golf course visitors...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Crostwick
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coltishall

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!