“Very classy”

Dunston Hall
Higham Ferrers, United Kingdom
“Very classy”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was made to feel very welcome as soon as I arrived at the Hotel. All the staff were friendly and helpful. My room was very nice, clean, warm and plenty of storage space. Obviously with it being an old building there is some touching up and minor repairs that need doing but nothing to spoil your stay. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and again very attentive staff. The Terrace Bar was really comfortable and prices only a little above Pub prices. The Health Spa was great fun, steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi, swimming pool and a huge gym. This place is well worth a visit whether it be to play golf, relax in its splendour, or enjoy the spa, go on treat yourself.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Polish first
lincoln
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Hello

I recently came to a spa day/relaxation day at Dunston Hall and I have always loved the venue because I had my wedding reception there 10 years ago now. However we came last Saturday for a relaxation day to use the spa and facilities and I was horrified how awful Dunston Hall has become. We first went into the changing room which were filthy, floors were covered in hair and dust, the ceilings in the showers were covered in mould and the shower floors were disgusting and we had not even got in to the pool area yet. It was only ten o'clock in the morning so in theory it should have not been too bad but the pool side and floors were covered in clumps of hair and dust. It just looked like it had not been cleaned in ages. Actually in the jacuzzi there was some lovely squashy stuff that I stepped on and I was just so disappointed and the place has gone series lay down hill. Previously I recommended Dunston Hall very highly but after the tired , disgustingly dirty swimming pool, changing rooms and showers I can not give a high recommendation anymore. I am not a person who just review bad things, I love to praise places, items and people and my previous email has just been to next to say how amazing there staff are. I really would love to see something done about the filth all over Dunston Hall and ideally it needs a serious revamp. A paint would do it the world of good. Just look at the doors as you push to go in the changing rooms. Seriously I can't stress enough how disappointed I was. Good job the company I was with was good that all I can say, however your chocolate cake was amazing.

Sorry for complain but if you expect a certain kind of service/place/standard it's not good when your greeted with that and I won't be coming again until I know it's had a revamp.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carinamcmorran

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel, we booked a cheap two night bed & breakfast deal at £59 a night. We were allocated a family room which I specifically booked as the photograph showed that it had a settee. The room we got did not have one, I mentioned this whilst passing the reception and to my surprise we were given a king size room, which had a separate lounge are and had views of the golf course, so thank you to the staff.
Breakfast was very good as was the attentive staff.
I recommended this hotel the first time and would do so again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

stopped on a wine and dine deal which was very good value.The hotel is very fine but feels homely,with very professional staff.We received a room upgrade,a bottle of wine on the dinning table,an excellent 3 course meal,and breakfast(with lots of choice).All this for £99 for the two of us.

The hotel is well placed for the city center,a 10 mins drive or 5 mins to the park and ride.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the de vere Dunston Hall for a celebratory day and night for the Mrs' birthday. We visited the spa and I used the golf range to entertain ourselves through out the day and the services were ok.

Where We had a problem is with our room. I had asked for the best room they had. Indeed I got the most expensive however I hope the other rooms did not have the problems this room had.
Firstly room advertised as having a smart tv. These only work when connected to the internet. This was not so was basically just a digital tv.
Secondly, mould marks throughout the bathroom grouting.
Thirdly, skirting board had fallen off due to what appeared to be poor fitting and warping. It was leant up against where it should be and was quite dangerous due to its location.
Fourthly, the 'four poster bed'. Not a classically made four poster. A four poster bed that had been crudely screwed together with large visible silver bolts. Very classy! Also the fabric trim at the top of the bed had suspicious stains all over them. Nice.
To make it 5, the carpet had a huge split 2meters long where a join had come away and it created a trip hazard.
Finally, I had been asked to supply feedback. My feedback was fair and balanced but asked for a apology and recognition in which I have never received and have decided to complain for the first time in my life.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bully81
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The building was beautiful, the staff were kind and helpful. The food was lovely and the rooms very clean and comfortable. This is great value for money and a must for anyone thinking of visiting the area

• Stayed February 2014
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very imposing building as you arrive along the driveway. Hotel is lovely. All rooms are clean and tidy and the staff are very courteous and polite. Loads to do during your stay with amongst othe things a lovely pool.
Good value for money and would recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!