“Fantastic staff, wonderful stay”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic staff, wonderful stay”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay on a dinner, B&B special rate. This is our second visit and once again the staff were amazing. They make a real effort to ensure your stay is as relaxing as possible. We arrived early for a golf and spa booking; as the room wasn't ready a member of staff offered to take our luggage to our room so we didn't need to worry about it! We upgraded to a deluxe double which was really comfy and highly recommended. The food was really good both at dinner and breakfast; the carvery option is great. We enjoyed our golf and spa experiences. It was so good that we recommended it for a family celebration with a large group booking and look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Catrin_Long, Front Office Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Cath W

Thank you for posting a glowing review of your stay at Dunston Hall. We are delighted to hear that the staff were "amazing", this will certainly encourage the whole team to keep on providing the highest standard of service to all our guests.
Our carvery is extremely popular to both residents and non residents. We also offer a 3 course set menu and a la carte option which you may like to try on your next stay.

Thank you again for sharing this with us.

Kind Regards

Catrin Long

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Polish first
Brixham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just a short break this time , but what a great location with facilities to match and all very professionally run by well trained staff...........all a credit to the De Vere group and the Hotel Management.

Room Tip: Ask at Reception for your specific needs
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ron

Thank you for posting a glowing review of your stay at Dunston Hall. We are always delighted to hear great feedback from our guests, especailly when it is to praise the customer service standards of our team.

I do hope we will see you back at the hall soon.

Kind Regards
Catrin Long
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We booked a twin on the day of our planned arrival as both of us had forgotten our anniversary! The staff at Dunston found us a family room and on arrival we were greeted with warm home made cookies and sparkling wine!

The room was beautiful and the staff have been fantastic. We took our daughter to play crazy golf and the Golf Pro shop saved us the long walk back to reception to borrow clubs by lending us some of theirs! At dinner we were treated brilliantly and really well looked after. I should add that the food was fantastic.

I should add that the hotel is absolutely beautiful, stunning frontage and very classy interior. The bar area is absolutely wonderful. All the staff are wonderful, passionate about the hotel and very helpful.

To cut a long story short we booked our repeat trip next year as we left!

Room Tip: All are brilliant!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from a nights stay after an evening wedding do. We paid £140 for B&B as a wedding special rate. The good stuff - the staff were really nice and helpful. We had a sandwich and a cream tea in the garden terrace and that was really tasty. Breakfast was great and there was a huge range of food to be had.
The not so good stuff - we were in room 607 and it felt very tired, not sure when it was last cleaned but as the sun streamed in the dust was very evident and the bathroom was extremely tired and in need of a full refurb. It was probably the worst shower I have ever come across....temperature was very difficult to control and it took me 20 mins to wash and condition my hair as there was hardly any water coming out. I thought about a bath but again it would have taken ages to fill with the slow flow of water. Other guests reported the same with their showers so something needs to be done. I think it was a very expensive rate for what we experienced and wouldn't book again unless the rate was better.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happysheep
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Excellent pool, sauna and steamroom. Very comfy bed and large, well appointed room - you could adjust the radiators from off to splendidly hot. Very good breakfast selection and freshly prepared egg and fish dishes.

Room Tip: Any would be fine from what we saw but ours on the top floor, NE corner was v. quiet and overlooked...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Suffolk
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for my sister in laws hen party - just a small group of 7 of us. It was the perfect location for us and the hotel arranged several extras for us which made it very special. We used the spa facilities - perhaps the environment was a bit too chloriney if I'm going to be picky - and the Lilac Room - they do a sensational massage! The food was very good and the hotel / grounds seemed very clean and pleasant. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Overall great value and I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JandJ-Suffolk
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Just returned after a night stay for my husbands birthday. I booked a king suite and after a speedily, friendly and informative check in we managed to track our room down after a few wrong turns. We were surprised how big the hotel was. The room was large with a separate lounge area and later found out a second toilet off the lounge. We made our way to the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna

I had booked a massage for my husband and had a hot stone massage with Amy. I have got to say I have had several in the past but must say this was probably the best hot stone massage I have ever had and highly recommend her. My husband was really pleased with his massage.

We returned to our room to get ready for our evening meal, the shower was lovely and hot and supplied with shampoo etc.

We had the carvery and it was nice to see a bit of life in the beef so many placed I have visited where they cook the life out of it. I ordered off the menu for my starters as I felt the starters in the chiller cupboard looked a bit dry. I had creme brûlée for pudding, again off the menu, which I had to send back as this was split and the biscuit that came with it was not edible as so hard but had a trifle out the chiller which was quite nice.

Only couple of little grumbles was that the pillows were past their use date as they were obviously fibre filled once upon a time and had moulded together making them hard lumpy pillows and the other little gripe was that the sofa in the lounge was quite grubby and wouldn't have fancied sitting on it if I had time. It such a shame because it was a lovely lounge and wouldn't cost much to get a company in to clean it.

But all in all a lovely night stay and very friendly staff

Room Tip: King suite
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!