“Lovely and attentive staff!”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Diss, United Kingdom
“Lovely and attentive staff!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My mum pre-booked herself and I to have a surprise 'high tea' at Dunston Hall to celebrate my 17th birthday. The overall appearance of the hotel was absolutely fantastic and then inside was very inviting, with friendly receptionists. We got directed to the bar area, where the high tea took place- in a grand conservatory- and asked the barman where we were seated, however there had been a mix up and apparently our booking 'had not been placed on the system'. The waiter was very lovely and kept apolgising for the mistake and went out of his way to arrange us a table and chairs so we could still have the tea. However, because I have a wheat and gluten intolerance and the hotel specifically asked my mum to give around 2 weeks notice to cater for this, the mix up meant they did not have any gluten-free cakes or sandwiches. The manager was called at this point and she was extremely cooperative and apologetic. She promptly assured us that they would get some gluten-free cakes and sandwiches just for me as soon as possible and make it 'extra special' to apologise. They gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne while we waited which was lovely and when the food came (took around 10 minutes), it was amazing- they weren't joking when they said they would make it 'special'- we even gave some cakes to these two women on another table because there was so much gorgeous food! After we had finished, the hotel manager came over to make sure everything was okay and then told us that we didn't have to pay a penny... Just goes to show how much the hotel values their customers (and neither of us had been to there before). The afternoon made my birthday feel so special, as did all the staff there. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Driving along the long driveway you are welcomed by the front of the building which certainly has the wow factor with its fountain and golf course in the grounds, inside its lavish with wooden staircases and chandeliers, its really is grand, however this is where the spectacular stops and maybe this entrance sets your expectations too high, the rooms are spacious if you book the higher grade rooms however they are dated and still have box style tv's and are generally in need of a refurb,(I believe this is underway,so be careful to book a refurb room) the swimming pool is ok, but could do with a good scrub in places- not unpleasant but a little underwhelming, the same is to be said for the breakfast, at times it can be a let down due to the buffet style meaning food is sat around for a while- unless you go ala carte-included in the price- which is of good quality, overall you feel like a prince when you walk in but never quite feel as regal when you are checking out,

• Stayed May 2013
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I genuinely regret having to write this report. My wife and I decided to stay at Dunstan Hall purely to support the De Vere Group after they were so brilliant with us after a disaster at Christmas due to the flooding. Having received emails from them regarding short breaks, we chose Norwich as a city to visit over Easter. We booked a suite, Room 437 which is in a nice location but incredible tired and need of a refurb. We could live with that, but what faced us was probably the most disgusting experience We have ever had in a supposedly, "Quality Hotel " anywhere in the World.

My Wife commented on how decrepit the bed looked and pulled the Duvet back to investigate. This revealed a mattress with no Protector or Topper and just a single sheet. To describe the stains that showed through this sheet makes me feel ill just thinking about it ! It was positively disgusting and in that single moment the whole experience was ruined. Having retrieved the Manager from reception the Head of housekeeping was summonsed and the complete bed was dismantled and replaced. In the meantime, we had pointed out that the Bins were still full from the previous occupant's and the whole room felt dirty. After the team had left, they sent up a Bottle of Champagne to apologise, but the feeling of having to sleep in such a room never left us over the 2 nights we stayed. Later on the same day whilst using the Bathroom, I noticed the towel I placed on the floor to step on from the shower was filthy from the film of dirt on the floor. Closer inspection revealed hairs of all description's and another visit to the Manager. This time a gentleman dealt with it and told me he would have to do it himself as there was nobody else available. He then proceeded to write our room number on the back of his hand, adding to an already long list of room numbers he had there already. This is obviously the done thing, as the Manageress of the restaurant was doing the same thing !

We had booked in to the Restaurant for the first night and wished we hadn't ! Cold Soup, Overcooked Lamb and people all around us complaining and receiving complimentary Wine as compensation. The young Waitress however was delightful as was the young Lad serving in the Bar. How the restaurant makes any profit with all the freebies handed out as apologies is beyond me.

Its a shame people don't make an effort to dress for dinner. My wife and I felt completely overdressed (Only talking a Jacket and decent shirt ) which we thought would be the norm in a Country House Hotel ?. We sat and reflected on how such a Beautiful Building with such potential has been allowed to deteriorate so badly and how low standards of cleanliness and quality seemed to be acceptable to the management. Either the groups Senior Managers are not aware or don't care ? Just take a look at the Photos and previous visitor reports and make up your own mind.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any Room that hasn't been refurbished and check the cleanliness before unpacki...

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for an overnight stay as a treat to ourselves. Only living 15 minutes away it was convenient and local enough to not have to travel too far on a Bank Holiday.
Check in was quite slow but they were busy with an influx of people all at the same time.
We had upgraded to a deluxe room and although the room was large and spacious, little things let it down. Fixtures and fittings had been removed from the bathroom but the holes in the wall still remained, there were scuff marks on the walls and the carpet was quite grubby. Not what you would expect of a top class hotel and its impressive surroundings.
The leisure facilities were clean and the pool was very busy due to several functions being held that evening in the hotel.
Dinner in the carvery was ok but very overpriced. £15 for a one course carvery on a Sunday night seemed a bit extreme and £5.50 for a glass of wine made sure that it lasted me all evening!!
I had to wait 15 minutes for a latte to be served to me in the bar afterwards.
I think every door to every room on our floor slammed shut and the one to the entrance to the lift squeaked so every person using this door throughout the evening and during the night, kept us awake with the constant creaking.
Breakfast the next morning was ok but the slow service let it down. I had finished my cooked breakfast before I was even asked if I would like a hot drink and they should definatley invest in another toaster. One is just not enough for the quantity of people that they are catering for in a morning.
Check out was quick and painless. I dont think we would stay here again unless we were reassured that the door squeak had been fixed or they reduced their menu/wine prices!

1 Thank Kate E
Norwich
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is the first time we had stayed at Dunston Hall and I must say it is a lovely hotel, as you come down the drive you get the Wow Factor, what a stunning building I must say. On arrival we where greeted by a lovely girl on reception, who was very friendly and complimentary upgraded us to a deluxe room.
The hotel was faultless, from dinner to the swimming pool, the steam room was bliss. All members of staff we came across where very helpful and smilling.
We will defo be coming back to Dunston.

2 Thank BenjaminR980
Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The only good point to note is that the staff were excellent. Very helpful, eager to please and went out of their way to respond to any requests. Unfortunately, the rest is rather awful. The hotel is completely run down and has clearly been left for a number of years with no investment. The room we had was shabby - paint peeling, décor old and tired, room generally oppressive with very dated colours, bathroom with chipped enamel, peeling paint etc. The changing rooms for the swimming pool were filthy - used plasters and hair on the shower floors. This hotel boasts luxury and charges for it when in reality these times of luxury in this place have long since passed.

1 Thank Tig R
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I went to dunston hall hotel this weekend with my boyfriend to celebrate his birthday. The staff were very nice and welcoming. it was really nice and decorated in the main lobby and bar. the room was a let down. It didn't look like it did in the picture, we had a horrible view of the dirty roof of the conservatory. The window panes needed re-doing and the wall had smears and marks over it. The spa was lovely. You have your own sun bed which was nice and the steam room was very nice. overall it was a genuinely good stay. But it could have been better.

• Stayed April 2014
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!