“Beatuiful Hotel”

Dunston Hall
lincoln
“Beatuiful Hotel”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Have just returned from a couple of days at the Dunston Hall Hotel. Booked before I read the reviews otherwise I might have given it a miss. However the Hall itself is beautiful and the rooms are spacious. We had room 645 and the bed was lovely and comfortable, plenty of tea and coffee and even a hot chocolate for bedtime. We didn't eat in the hotel as the menu was not to our taste but the Breakfast was very good with as much as you wanted. The fruit bowl was a real delight with strawberries, blue berries blackcurrants making a very refreshing dish. All the staff were very helpful from Nicky on reception to Christine the cleaner they couldn't do enough for you. The only negatives were. No mattress protector, the safe in the room didn't work and the room could have done with a good clean on the bedroom side of the bathroom door the dust was thick. We were directly facing the lift but heard no noise at all which for us light sleepers is very good. The leisure facilities were very good with a great size pool. Would definitely go back to explore more of the area.

Room Tip: A basic room only has a 4'6 bed so if you can upgrade to a king it is better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful building with some very friendly staff on the ground, but very poor standard for the money and star rating.

No table service in the bar initially (til we had other issues so a couple of waiting staff really stepped up to try and make things better). No tabs. No signing to room despite the fact a company card was behind reception (talk to each other people!) No experienced cocktail making staff behind the bar (if you have a cocktail menu, you need to have someone who can make them properly!). Limited menu in the bar. Food choice not exactly inspiring, orders forgotten, food not of the quality you would expect for the money paid. Other option was a buffet in the 'restaurant'. ....a buffet ? In a 4star hotel? Really?! Not acceptable as the only real dining option I'm afraid for a 4star hotel.

Outside club bar had very limited wine stock, and very overly keen to close even though there was a reasonable group of residents there.

Reception had issues with several of our party at check in, unable to find room keys, despite us allegedly already having been checked in. Beds soft and uncomfortable.
Breakfast -all cheap ingredients, cheap orange juice....again not the standard you would expect for money paid

On the plus side, a really good indoor pool with again friendly staff, and a golf course if that is your bag.

Over all though, overpriced, and shocking for the star rating and price tag. Friendly staff is not enough I'm afraid. Don't waste your money on this hotel. It's a real let down.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank J N

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

maidstone
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed as part of a group and upgraded to a deluxe room. Spacious, air conditioned and free wi fi and bedroom well decorated but bathroom with the wash basin with peeling paint, very basic shower, basic toiletries..no shower cap and no bottled water. Room not made up one day so forced out after a long day whilst we waited for room to be done eventually with no offer of a free drink or compensation.The water I requested did not appear either. Staff were friendly but totally inexperienced with no idea of customer service.
However the buffet restaurant food takes the crown for being the worst food I have ever eaten. I would not even feed it to my dog! Much was totally dried out having been standing for hours I suspect ,it was unappetising, lacked any flavour and frankly inedible.We ate out on last night as couldn't take any more of this pig swill. Breakfast pastries hard and inedible, plastic sliced cheese and cheap coffee although the cooked buffet breakfast was acceptable.

Drinks overpriced...was not prepared to pay £12 for a glass of Pinot Noir, Needless to say we will not be returning.I suspect the 4 star rating is totally down to the golf course .

Room Tip: A large hotel not for those with mobility problems. Not worth an upgrade to a deluxe room unless ver...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
NORWICH
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We travelled the short distance from our home for an evening meal, accommodation and breakfast at Dunston Hall.
In the past I have not been impressed with this place, feeling that it is overpriced and overrated but this past weekend has changed my mind.

From the moment we arrived at reception, every member of staff was polite, friendly and attentive. All staff said good evening or good morning which I find is a major thing. We were in the deluxe wing which meant a room in the most modern part of the hotel and air conditioning in our room. The room was very nice with a large comfortable bed. Our sink had a huge crack in it which meant it didnt hold water very well. Maybe a biggie to some people but not to us.

We went and had a 3 course carvery included in our deal. Not the best carvery I have ever had but pretty good with well cooked meat and a great selection of vegetables. The waiting staff though in the restaurant were superb, and couldnt do enough for us.

We went for room service for our breakfast and had delivered a sumptious full english breakfast with lovely sausages, bacon, eggs, beans and all the trimmings. Absolutely superb. Receptionists were lovely on our check out and everybody seemed to genuinely care that we enjoyed our stay.

So all in all, a very good stay and I am impressed with the huge improvements made at Dunston and can only thank all the staff that made my birthday night special.

One minor moan though. I have been to 5-6 weddings at Dunston, been to the bar before and now stayed for the night and every single pint of beer i have ever had has always been flat. Silly thing but this must improve.

Room Tip: I think they are dearer but if you get a room in the deluxe wing you get aircon as standard.
1 Thank lastyboy
Dear Lastyboy
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to Dunston Hall. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay on this occasion and you found the team here to be polite, friendly and attentive. I will pass on the feedback to the team as they enjoy hearing positive feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall in the future.
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We are pasting this review because we found Dunston Hall to be an excellent hotel.
The reception staff, the first people you see in any hotel were charming efficient and at all times provided a professional service. The refurbished room was lovely and the cleaning staff conscientious and very pleasant. The food was excellent - mass catering to meet all levels of need takes some skill and commitment and every meal we had was most enjoyable - even the vegetables, were prepared with care, imagination and thought. The staff in the restaurant including those behind the Carvery were pleasant and helpful. I have a peanut allergy and have to make sure of what I am eating and nothing was too much trouble. Without exception all staff were charming, attentive and helpful and the staff in the bar were great ambassadors of your hotel's ethos of hospitality - Robert looked after us charmingly and efficiently while we enjoyed the conservatory. We only had the time for one visit to the swimming pool which was clean and well maintained and even on that one occasion we were greeted warmly and made welcome. Staff in passing greeted us pleasantly and courteously, were smart and efficient and we came away with the overriding impression that it is a happy hotel that seeks to provide a quality service. Altogether it was a lovely break and I can firmly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: The refurbished rooms look out to the back of the golf club house with some shipping containers pres...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Rosemary K
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to Dunston Hall. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay on this occasion and you found the Reception team to be welcoming and efficient on arrival. It’s also great to hear that you enjoyed the dining experience and found the food to be excellent, I will pass on the feedback to the kitchen team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall in the future.
Heacham
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We didn't stay long, and didn't eat here due to a family function, but the room was lovely. Beuautiful building and grounds.

Check in and out was easy and problem-free. Buffet breakfast lovely apart from rather hard and mangled pastries!

Dear Happyseasidegirl
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to Dunston Hall. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay on this occasion. It’s good to see you had a nice quick check in and out and that the breakfast was lovely. I will ask the Head chef to ensure the pastries are presented correctly in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall in the future.
Norfolk, England.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We entered the sweeping drive passing alongside the beautiful golf course. The imposing facade of this beautiful and historic building does take one's breath away.
As we had been to a function nearby, I was ready for a relaxing evening so, with only a single overnight stay, I certainly did not get the best overall experience of this gorgeous hotel. We were greeted by efficient, knowledgeable receptionists and, after a false start, managed to locate our beautiful room which was extremely clean and with plenty of facilities within. Due to a health problem which affects my muscles, I prefer a softer mattress but my husband slept very well. The surroundings make you feel as though you are in another world. The food is well presented and delicious; breakfast plentiful should you have a large appetite. We concluded our all~too~short a stay by relaxing in the Garden Terrace and it was SO relaxing and the perfect place to relax and read the paper and indulge in coffee, lunch or afternoon tea. All the staff were very helpful and in fact the only tiny minus I have is that, whilst I could not say the hotel smelled stale, it certainly was not fresh either. Maybe this is something to do with the age of the building for the housekeeping staff ensure everywhere is immaculate. We did not take advantage of the swimming pool, gym or spa but they are there for all of those who wish to avail theirselves of the facilities. All in all a superb hotel which we very much hope to return to at a future date. Thank you for all the staff from front of house to behind the scenes who keep the hotel running with apparent ease.

Room Tip: I cannot advise on the rooms for, requiring a wheelchair accessible room, you are given a room where...
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Nellybucket

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your recent stay at Dunston Hall. I am delighted to read that you awarded us 5 stars.
With the fabulous weather we have been having of late, the Garden Terrace is perfect for al fresco dinging or a relaxed drink and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy it.
Our new executive head chef has been developing our menus and it was lovely to see that you found the food well presented, delicious and plentiful.
I do hope on your next visit you may get the time to take adavantage of our pool and spa.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!