“Full of surprise”

Dunston Hall
Diss, United Kingdom
“Full of surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We regularly stay at or visit this hotel and we are never disappointed.
We decided to treat ourselves to an upgrade on this occasion and booked a deluxe room in the old building. We weren't really sure what to expect as the website doesn't give specific info for each room but were genuinely surprised when we opened the door...
Not a room but a full penthouse suite! The 'room' had 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, a full kitchen, a dining area for 6 and a lounge area with 2 sofas.
The views were incredible and worth booking the room for on their own merit.
On the negative side, the beds were soft and we rolled together in the middle of the night due to the dip, the furnishings were a real miss match and I get the impression that they were once in another part of the hotel and brought up it furnish by accident rather than design.
The bathroom was probably stunning originally but the shower had seen better days although it was clean and there was plenty of hot water.
I have to admit to moving the furniture around (sorry housekeeping ) as the view over the golf course was amazing and I wanted to sit in comfort by the window to appreciate it.
There were plenty of consumables provided but a basic choice, tea (tetley), coffee (dowe egberts) and hot chocolate (suchet) and the toiletries were good quality though not the Espa products advertised.
Complimentary wifi in the suite was efficient and easy to log on to.
We had afternoon tea in the terrace bar. Super service, lovely manner from the waiter. Plenty of tea and coffee and quality sandwiches. Sadly, the cakes on this occasion were disappointing - we have had afternoon tea previously and the selection and quality could have been better on this occasion. There were 3 bits of lemon cake, chocolate brownies, bake well, coffee cup cakes and cherry scones. 15 bits of cake for 2 people! The clotted cream was good quality but there was no jam :-(
Breakfast was superb as always. Hot food continuously replenished, beautiful thick bacon and tasty sausages. Again the staff here were friendly, polite and efficient. We went down at the busiest time of 9am but we were easily found a table, didn't have to queue for hot food and were given hot tea and coffee promptly.
Reception staff were superb. Check in was smooth and our taxi booking was arranged with a minimum of fuss.
I would recommend this hotel without question. It has a fantastic spa and pool, great golf course, superb treatment rooms and professional staff.
On our next visit we are going to try one of the 4 poster rooms and maybe take part in one if the party nights again. Looking forward to it already :-)

Room Tip: Basic rooms are clean, comfortable and well furnished as you would expect in a 4 star hotel. Request...
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Mel51e

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review, its great to read you enjoyed the stay and will be returning to see us again soon.

Im sure you will love both the 4 poster rooms and the party night on your next visit.

Catrin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Arriving at Dunston Hall my hopes were lifted by the London driveway and the beautiful building at the end of it. Check in was efficient if not a bit off hand.
I had booked a King de vere Suite as I was travelling with my wife and 2 young children. The suite was as far from reception as possible and was unfortunately exceptionally old, all the furniture was ripped with age, no tea and coffee making facilities, the bath was rusty and wallpaper coming off the walls. All of this I could have been able to forgive, what is not acceptable is that the bins were still full of rubbish and that old Doritos were found on the floor.
If you are planning on staying here with children and then having room service when they have gone to bed, my only suggestion would be to see what local take aways deliver! Room service menu is very limited and expensive.
All in all a lovely place but no attention detail and not what I expect when booking a hotel suite.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

lincoln
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Have just returned from a couple of days at the Dunston Hall Hotel. Booked before I read the reviews otherwise I might have given it a miss. However the Hall itself is beautiful and the rooms are spacious. We had room 645 and the bed was lovely and comfortable, plenty of tea and coffee and even a hot chocolate for bedtime. We didn't eat in the hotel as the menu was not to our taste but the Breakfast was very good with as much as you wanted. The fruit bowl was a real delight with strawberries, blue berries blackcurrants making a very refreshing dish. All the staff were very helpful from Nicky on reception to Christine the cleaner they couldn't do enough for you. The only negatives were. No mattress protector, the safe in the room didn't work and the room could have done with a good clean on the bedroom side of the bathroom door the dust was thick. We were directly facing the lift but heard no noise at all which for us light sleepers is very good. The leisure facilities were very good with a great size pool. Would definitely go back to explore more of the area.

Room Tip: A basic room only has a 4'6 bed so if you can upgrade to a king it is better.
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful building with some very friendly staff on the ground, but very poor standard for the money and star rating.

No table service in the bar initially (til we had other issues so a couple of waiting staff really stepped up to try and make things better). No tabs. No signing to room despite the fact a company card was behind reception (talk to each other people!) No experienced cocktail making staff behind the bar (if you have a cocktail menu, you need to have someone who can make them properly!). Limited menu in the bar. Food choice not exactly inspiring, orders forgotten, food not of the quality you would expect for the money paid. Other option was a buffet in the 'restaurant'. ....a buffet ? In a 4star hotel? Really?! Not acceptable as the only real dining option I'm afraid for a 4star hotel.

Outside club bar had very limited wine stock, and very overly keen to close even though there was a reasonable group of residents there.

Reception had issues with several of our party at check in, unable to find room keys, despite us allegedly already having been checked in. Beds soft and uncomfortable.
Breakfast -all cheap ingredients, cheap orange juice....again not the standard you would expect for money paid

On the plus side, a really good indoor pool with again friendly staff, and a golf course if that is your bag.

Over all though, overpriced, and shocking for the star rating and price tag. Friendly staff is not enough I'm afraid. Don't waste your money on this hotel. It's a real let down.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank J N
maidstone
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed as part of a group and upgraded to a deluxe room. Spacious, air conditioned and free wi fi and bedroom well decorated but bathroom with the wash basin with peeling paint, very basic shower, basic toiletries..no shower cap and no bottled water. Room not made up one day so forced out after a long day whilst we waited for room to be done eventually with no offer of a free drink or compensation.The water I requested did not appear either. Staff were friendly but totally inexperienced with no idea of customer service.
However the buffet restaurant food takes the crown for being the worst food I have ever eaten. I would not even feed it to my dog! Much was totally dried out having been standing for hours I suspect ,it was unappetising, lacked any flavour and frankly inedible.We ate out on last night as couldn't take any more of this pig swill. Breakfast pastries hard and inedible, plastic sliced cheese and cheap coffee although the cooked buffet breakfast was acceptable.

Drinks overpriced...was not prepared to pay £12 for a glass of Pinot Noir, Needless to say we will not be returning.I suspect the 4 star rating is totally down to the golf course .

Room Tip: A large hotel not for those with mobility problems. Not worth an upgrade to a deluxe room unless ver...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
NORWICH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We travelled the short distance from our home for an evening meal, accommodation and breakfast at Dunston Hall.
In the past I have not been impressed with this place, feeling that it is overpriced and overrated but this past weekend has changed my mind.

From the moment we arrived at reception, every member of staff was polite, friendly and attentive. All staff said good evening or good morning which I find is a major thing. We were in the deluxe wing which meant a room in the most modern part of the hotel and air conditioning in our room. The room was very nice with a large comfortable bed. Our sink had a huge crack in it which meant it didnt hold water very well. Maybe a biggie to some people but not to us.

We went and had a 3 course carvery included in our deal. Not the best carvery I have ever had but pretty good with well cooked meat and a great selection of vegetables. The waiting staff though in the restaurant were superb, and couldnt do enough for us.

We went for room service for our breakfast and had delivered a sumptious full english breakfast with lovely sausages, bacon, eggs, beans and all the trimmings. Absolutely superb. Receptionists were lovely on our check out and everybody seemed to genuinely care that we enjoyed our stay.

So all in all, a very good stay and I am impressed with the huge improvements made at Dunston and can only thank all the staff that made my birthday night special.

One minor moan though. I have been to 5-6 weddings at Dunston, been to the bar before and now stayed for the night and every single pint of beer i have ever had has always been flat. Silly thing but this must improve.

Room Tip: I think they are dearer but if you get a room in the deluxe wing you get aircon as standard.
1 Thank lastyboy
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Lastyboy
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to Dunston Hall. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay on this occasion and you found the team here to be polite, friendly and attentive. I will pass on the feedback to the team as they enjoy hearing positive feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall in the future.
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We are pasting this review because we found Dunston Hall to be an excellent hotel.
The reception staff, the first people you see in any hotel were charming efficient and at all times provided a professional service. The refurbished room was lovely and the cleaning staff conscientious and very pleasant. The food was excellent - mass catering to meet all levels of need takes some skill and commitment and every meal we had was most enjoyable - even the vegetables, were prepared with care, imagination and thought. The staff in the restaurant including those behind the Carvery were pleasant and helpful. I have a peanut allergy and have to make sure of what I am eating and nothing was too much trouble. Without exception all staff were charming, attentive and helpful and the staff in the bar were great ambassadors of your hotel's ethos of hospitality - Robert looked after us charmingly and efficiently while we enjoyed the conservatory. We only had the time for one visit to the swimming pool which was clean and well maintained and even on that one occasion we were greeted warmly and made welcome. Staff in passing greeted us pleasantly and courteously, were smart and efficient and we came away with the overriding impression that it is a happy hotel that seeks to provide a quality service. Altogether it was a lovely break and I can firmly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: The refurbished rooms look out to the back of the golf club house with some shipping containers pres...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Rosemary K
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to Dunston Hall. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay on this occasion and you found the Reception team to be welcoming and efficient on arrival. It’s also great to hear that you enjoyed the dining experience and found the food to be excellent, I will pass on the feedback to the kitchen team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,087 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!