“Thank you for renewing my faith in Dunston Hall”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Reviewed 14 July 2014

After visiting Dunston Hall and writing my review in February this year, we revisited for my birthday. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay lovely, I am glad we returned, Dunston Hall redeemed themselves. Would love to return another time when we have a celebration and have a romantic night without our children.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and go deluxe.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Holdixon

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, It’s really great to see that you had a fab time with us for your special occasion. I will make sure the team get to hear the feedback from yourself on making your stay great.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston hall in the future

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I just stayed for one night, but was impressed. My room was a good size, very clean and had all the bits and bobs I have come to expect. The room was quiet.
Breakfast was fine - there was a help-yourself buffet with a very good range of hot food and fruity bits, and some very good continental bread.
I had a drink in the bar, which was comfortable and not at all intimidating for a lone female. The staff were friendly but unobtrusive.
The best bit was the pool. It is like the Romans had just left! The decor was all pillars and soft lighting in an underground cavern, with loungers and a jacuzzi and best of all it was the same depth all the way across which I love as I'm not very good at swimming. It was just a lovely place to unwind and get the creaks out after a long drive.
Also, it is much closer to Norwich then I expected, the Park and Ride is just a few minutes away and I got to UEA in about 10 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear WeaselD

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, It’s good to see that you enjoyed the service in the bar, the breakfast buffet and of course our pool.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston hall in the future

Reviewed 13 July 2014

On arrival, this is an impressive building. Beautiful grounds, short drive from Norwich so easy to get to. The reception area is also lovely, quite grand and the staff were friendly enough. My room on the 2nd floor was a bit musty, decor was tired and it was very warm (it was 'close' outside though). I was there on business so had to leave quite quickly, returning late that evening.

The next day, I noticed the bathroom wasn't clean (dubious looking stains in the toilet, around the sink etc) and the shower hardly worked. I told the person at reception who took it on board and said it would be resolved. On return from my work event, the stain in the toilet had been covered with 'grout' (which was left next to the sink for me to see) but the shower still didn't work.

I had lunch in the bar and the food was good, nice staff, friendly service. I had time in between business to have a facial, and the treatment was really nice. So everything was good, apart from the room! A pity.

Room Tip: Ones that have been renovated?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Abel

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, It’s good to see that you enjoyed the service and food in the bar and also the treatments at the Lilac room.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that the bathroom was not of our normal high standards, I have passed your comments onto our head housekeeper who has taken remedial action to stop this occurring again.

I hope you return to Dunston hall in the near future and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Amazing!! Stayed for my birthday, wine in room, 3 course dinner, full use of spa, gorgeous room and lovely friendly staff! Cannot fault this hotel on anything...definitely recommend and will be staying here again very soon, I can't wait!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rachel D

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, It’s good to see that you enjoyed everything about the hotel and its great to see you will be coming back to stay with us soon

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My husband had explained on the phone that it was our anniversary and yet we were asked again at reception on booking in if it was a special occasion ? He then said that we should take a longer stroll to the room as something was being prepared for our anniversary stay. On entering the room the complimentary Prosecco and chocolates were in place but the room had clearly not been made up as the duvet was all over the place and bath robes on floor, with that there was a knock at the door from house keeping who were there to clean the room. It was 5.30pm and check in is at three! Secondly there was hot water coming from one of the cold taps on the bathroom and a Lino peeling from the floor. There was also a huge gap between the carpet in the middle of the bedroom,, a poor fit! The temperature in the room was a bit warm. It severely needed updating decor wise and there was a bulb out too. A very poor excuse of a four poster bed although comfortable it's not we expected for the price we paid for an executive suite. In addition to this our three course menu choices weren't to my liking so it was explained to us that we had a £20 leeway on the alacarte menu on the other page which was ok but to be honest a steak should of been included for what we paid. And £28 for a steak is crazy. After all this the customer service was great and the outside settings were beautiful. The place could do with some vital refurbishment.

Stayed: July 2014
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Emma R

Thank you for taking the to review Dunston Hall, please contact me to discuss your stay, my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Whilst most aspects of out stay were as to be expected, this stay was badly let down by two things.

One the bath had a rusty gash in the enamel (see photo) the bath panel was discoloured as was the grouting around the shower. This had obviously been that way for some time and so can not be just down to housekeeping not doing their job that day.

Two the Health Club showers were poorly maintained with mould all over the roof, the brass plaque on the door into the male changing rooms was green! Also the wooden benches had the varnish peeling off around all the edges.

There were other small niggles that for me were not up to a 4star rating (bland Mackeral Pate, Tinned mushrooms and poor quality bacon at breakfast, mushy roast potatoes at an otherwise excellent carvery)

This hotel has so much potential, it seems lack of investment or just poor management has let it down, there is no reason it should achieve a 5 star rating but as it stands it will be lucky to retain its 4 stars

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Christian H

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Dunston Hall. I am sorry that there were a number of aspects that fell short of the standard you would expect at Dunston. I have disussed your feedback with the departmental managers to ensure they are rectified. Should you like to contact me personally I would be happy to discuss your feedback further.

Kindest Regards
catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Only one night whilst visiting family. Very friendly staff especially the waiting staff. Wonderful evening meal and the breakfast enough to keep you going for the day. The grounds are well maintained with great views over the golf course. If possible take a room with a view not over the roof. Well equipped, clean and friendly gym, sauna, pool and Jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BobRedley

Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review of your stay at Dunston Hall. It is lovely to see that you have awarded us 5 stars. We are very proud of our team at Dunston, who work hard to provide a great service to all our guests and I am so pleased that you found them all so friendly.
I do hope that I will be able to welcome you back to the Hall soon and that you can make it a longer trip.

Kindest Regards

The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick
Holiday Inn Norwich City

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!