“Friendly staff but not 4 star accommodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff but not 4 star accommodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stopped over for one night on business. Lovely setting with lots of free parking. A friendly welcome and quick check-in. Quite a trek to my room in one of the wings. Along the way, it was disappointing to see that some of the decor was 'tired'.

Room was very clean and bed comfortable. However, on an upper floor of the building the temperature was uncomfortably high. There was no aircon in the room - just a fan to move the warm air around a bit. Any number of fans are no replacement for aircon. Opened the window and left the room to cool. Sat outside, reading, until the sun went down. Pleasant views of the countryside.

Bar was well stocked but overpriced. Didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment on the food.

In summary, not too bad ... but not great either.

Room Tip: If the weather is even slightly warm, ask for a room on the ground floor or a room with aircon.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Derek K
Dear Derek K

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel, its good to read that you enjoyed most of the aspects of the hotel.

I hope you will be back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Catrin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Polish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for one night last week. The hotel as you approach reminds you of a Harry Potter film!!

Reception is to the left of the main entrance, not the door right in the front of the building.....there was a sign but we didn't see it, maybe we were just overcome with the setting.

Check in was ok but directions to our room could have been much better. We had to go downstairs to take a lift to the 3rd floor, it was a bit of a maze.

Room was a standard and quiet large. Décor was ok and the room was clean and tidy. Divan had no valance though, so looked bare and unfinished, also needed a throw or something to give it a "luxury touch".

Beds really comfy though and a flat pillow for me. Wonderful !!

Bathroom was fine, clean with no mouldy grout, which is one of my pet hates.

We did go and have a look at the pool, the staff were nice, said we would need money for the lockers , they would give us towels etc. We did not use these facilities though.

We booked a table at the Grill for dinner. The menu was hard to figure out until you suddenly had a "eureka" moment, then it seemed clear. Maybe needs better definition.

Our food was very good, we both had different items for our 3 courses. I did send my Eton Mess back as it was strawberries and instant whip.....not one bit of meringue to be found. Chef did agree ....he sent out a new one. I should have asked for the chocolate brownie instead......next time.... I will.

Our waitress was Brilliant......a gem...she didn't rush us, was very caring and we hope she has a lovely time in Rome. What an asset to the hotel.

Breakfast was really good. Fruit was real, well my orange and grapefruit were, not out of a tin. I had smoked haddock and poached egg, husband had full English. Both were 100%. Coffee was hot, served in a pot and tasted of coffee.

Would we go back.......yes. Next time will go with friends, guys can have a beer and girls can have a swim.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SUNTAN47
Dear Suntan47

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel, its good to see you will be returning soon with friends to enjoy the hotel again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall

Regards

west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay, great setting.
Good food, good service in Restaurant. clean comfy beds.
good area for exploring

Good facilities

only downside was room service , we ordered sandwiches and drink,but it didn't turn up .
rung through a second time and just had drinks as took to long, so obviously got forgotten.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Chickwsx

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, I was pleased to see that you had a great stay and enjoyed the good food and service. I have passed on your comments regarding room service to the Food & Beverage Manager who is looking into these issues.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night stay with my husband and even though we really enjoyed our stay I was disappointed with the internal state of the hotel. Not what I expected from a 4*. The positives are that the grounds are amazing, the golfing facilities are good, the staff very friendly and the food lovely. The negatives are that it looks like the maintenance team who look after the hotel have gone on an extended holiday. Wall paper peeling away, light fixings hanging off the ceilings was very common in most areas and the swimming pool ceiling and walls are in a very poor condition. This surprised me as they should be able to afford to pay for these repairs considering a glass of Pinot Grigio costs £9. I had an refurbished room and yes the sleeping area was lovely but the bath room is very poor and does not look refurbished at all (see pics). If it was reviewed now I doubt it would pass as a 4*

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Nicole T
Dear Nicole T

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, its good to see that on the whole you had a good time with us. if you would like to discuss the points rasied please contact me, my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed along weekend here as part of a large group booking. Beautiful building and surroundings. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was clean and well presented. Breakfast was excellent. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Banksy1234

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, Great to read you enjoyed the building and setting as well as the staff being friendly and helpful.

Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

After visiting Dunston Hall and writing my review in February this year, we revisited for my birthday. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay lovely, I am glad we returned, Dunston Hall redeemed themselves. Would love to return another time when we have a celebration and have a romantic night without our children.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and go deluxe.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Holdixon

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, It’s really great to see that you had a fab time with us for your special occasion. I will make sure the team get to hear the feedback from yourself on making your stay great.

Pocklington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I just stayed for one night, but was impressed. My room was a good size, very clean and had all the bits and bobs I have come to expect. The room was quiet.
Breakfast was fine - there was a help-yourself buffet with a very good range of hot food and fruity bits, and some very good continental bread.
I had a drink in the bar, which was comfortable and not at all intimidating for a lone female. The staff were friendly but unobtrusive.
The best bit was the pool. It is like the Romans had just left! The decor was all pillars and soft lighting in an underground cavern, with loungers and a jacuzzi and best of all it was the same depth all the way across which I love as I'm not very good at swimming. It was just a lovely place to unwind and get the creaks out after a long drive.
Also, it is much closer to Norwich then I expected, the Park and Ride is just a few minutes away and I got to UEA in about 10 minutes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear WeaselD

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, It’s good to see that you enjoyed the service in the bar, the breakfast buffet and of course our pool.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,088 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!