“Perfect night away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dunston Hall
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Perfect night away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a belated valentines night and it was perfect, we upgraded for a refurbished room and I cannot find anything to complain about it was clean, the bed was comfy had a lovely feel to it as did the whole place the bar and conservatory area was so relaxing to sit in for a few drinks, breakfast was also very tasty, will definitely be going back soon :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Amybum1993

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel, it's great to see you both had a good time with us. I hope you will be coming to see us again in the near future.

Catrin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Polish first
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here in February for my husband's birthday, Valentines Day and our first night away since having children! We'd been frequent guests to this hotel before and always had an enjoyable experience. This time was a totally different experience. We had booked one of the King suites, which wasn't ready when we arrived-it was past the check in time. We went to the bar and returned forty minutes later. We were then given a story about our room door being broken so they were putting us in a different room. On looking at this room, it was nothing like what we had paid for. On speaking to reception, I was dealt with by a young girl with a bad attitude who just said it was a "matter of opinion". I asked to speak with the manager and was kept waiting for a further twenty minutes. Eventually, the previous room miraculously opened and we ended up getting what we'd booked, some one hour and thirty minutes after we arrived. We were given a free bottle of wine at dinner which was a nice gesture but didn't make up for the disappointment of our check in experience. Little things like bath robes and slippers weren't in the room so had to be chased. At breakfast the next morning, all of the bread by the toaster was mouldy.It put me off eating. Overall this hotel has drastically gone down hill over the years. The first night we had of freedom from the kids was totally spoilt! The manager told us to email if we wanted to visit again so she could offer us a deal. I've emailed twice now about a September stay. No reply to either email. Think we'll go elsewhere!! Avoid unless you want to be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Karly82
Dear Karly82

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, sorry to read that it wasnt up to the standard expected. Please contact me to discuss your stay, my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stopped over for one night on business. Lovely setting with lots of free parking. A friendly welcome and quick check-in. Quite a trek to my room in one of the wings. Along the way, it was disappointing to see that some of the decor was 'tired'.

Room was very clean and bed comfortable. However, on an upper floor of the building the temperature was uncomfortably high. There was no aircon in the room - just a fan to move the warm air around a bit. Any number of fans are no replacement for aircon. Opened the window and left the room to cool. Sat outside, reading, until the sun went down. Pleasant views of the countryside.

Bar was well stocked but overpriced. Didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment on the food.

In summary, not too bad ... but not great either.

Room Tip: If the weather is even slightly warm, ask for a room on the ground floor or a room with aircon.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Derek K
Dear Derek K

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel, its good to read that you enjoyed most of the aspects of the hotel.

I hope you will be back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for one night last week. The hotel as you approach reminds you of a Harry Potter film!!

Reception is to the left of the main entrance, not the door right in the front of the building.....there was a sign but we didn't see it, maybe we were just overcome with the setting.

Check in was ok but directions to our room could have been much better. We had to go downstairs to take a lift to the 3rd floor, it was a bit of a maze.

Room was a standard and quiet large. Décor was ok and the room was clean and tidy. Divan had no valance though, so looked bare and unfinished, also needed a throw or something to give it a "luxury touch".

Beds really comfy though and a flat pillow for me. Wonderful !!

Bathroom was fine, clean with no mouldy grout, which is one of my pet hates.

We did go and have a look at the pool, the staff were nice, said we would need money for the lockers , they would give us towels etc. We did not use these facilities though.

We booked a table at the Grill for dinner. The menu was hard to figure out until you suddenly had a "eureka" moment, then it seemed clear. Maybe needs better definition.

Our food was very good, we both had different items for our 3 courses. I did send my Eton Mess back as it was strawberries and instant whip.....not one bit of meringue to be found. Chef did agree ....he sent out a new one. I should have asked for the chocolate brownie instead......next time.... I will.

Our waitress was Brilliant......a gem...she didn't rush us, was very caring and we hope she has a lovely time in Rome. What an asset to the hotel.

Breakfast was really good. Fruit was real, well my orange and grapefruit were, not out of a tin. I had smoked haddock and poached egg, husband had full English. Both were 100%. Coffee was hot, served in a pot and tasted of coffee.

Would we go back.......yes. Next time will go with friends, guys can have a beer and girls can have a swim.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank SUNTAN47
Dear Suntan47

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel, its good to see you will be returning soon with friends to enjoy the hotel again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall

west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay, great setting.
Good food, good service in Restaurant. clean comfy beds.
good area for exploring

Good facilities

only downside was room service , we ordered sandwiches and drink,but it didn't turn up .
rung through a second time and just had drinks as took to long, so obviously got forgotten.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Chickwsx

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, I was pleased to see that you had a great stay and enjoyed the good food and service. I have passed on your comments regarding room service to the Food & Beverage Manager who is looking into these issues.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston hall in the future

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night stay with my husband and even though we really enjoyed our stay I was disappointed with the internal state of the hotel. Not what I expected from a 4*. The positives are that the grounds are amazing, the golfing facilities are good, the staff very friendly and the food lovely. The negatives are that it looks like the maintenance team who look after the hotel have gone on an extended holiday. Wall paper peeling away, light fixings hanging off the ceilings was very common in most areas and the swimming pool ceiling and walls are in a very poor condition. This surprised me as they should be able to afford to pay for these repairs considering a glass of Pinot Grigio costs £9. I had an refurbished room and yes the sleeping area was lovely but the bath room is very poor and does not look refurbished at all (see pics). If it was reviewed now I doubt it would pass as a 4*

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Nicole T
Dear Nicole T

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, its good to see that on the whole you had a good time with us. if you would like to discuss the points rasied please contact me, my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed along weekend here as part of a large group booking. Beautiful building and surroundings. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was clean and well presented. Breakfast was excellent. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
      Location
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Banksy1234

Thank you for taking the time to comment after your trip to Dunston Hall, Great to read you enjoyed the building and setting as well as the staff being friendly and helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston hall in the future

4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,069 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!