Dunston Hall
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
2,931 results
All reviewsgolf courseterrace bardeluxe roomspa breakevening meallovely groundsmain barsteam roomleisure facilitiesfour posterplay golfnight breakpark and ridebirthday treatshort breaklovely roombiscuits
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I booked to stay here for one night in a King De Vere Suite to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was not cheap - £270 for room , dinner and breakfast as a package.Overall impression of hotel is that is dated and tired. Pre dinner drinks on the terrace were disturbed by two different male golfing parties who were loud and using crude and foul language with no regard for other guests. We gave up and went to dinner in the brasserie and chose the carvery which was a major disappointment as food was overcooked, over heated and watery. We were offered a glass of prosecco each to "celebrate" our anniversary which we thought was a nice touch until we saw that it was not complementary and we had been charged £6.50 a glass on our bill! When we went to bed we could not sleep as there was a wedding in the marquee in the grounds and they were playing loud music until 1.30am. We were then woken again by a faulty fire alarm at 3.30am. We phoned reception and they apologised. But we still could not sleep as some drunk was outside in the grounds singing in a loud voice. No one seemed to try to stop him. When we checked out in the morning no one asked how our stay was. It was rather busy with other guests checking out so we left and decided to send De Vere an email outlining our bad experience. This was sent to the customer services email address on the web site but so far we have had no acknowledgement let alone a reply or apology. If Dunston Hall wishes to book golfing and wedding parties and does not advise other guests of this when booking then that is a poor show and they will not get us staying there again. And if De Vere cannot be bothered to reply or even acknowledge our email then we will not be staying at any of their other venues.

Room Tip: pick a corner away from all function rooms if possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KEVIN P P
Catrin_Long, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Kevin PP

Thank you for your review of Dunston Hall, i'm sorry to see you didnt enjoy your time with us, please contact me directly to discuss your stay, my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a belated valentines night and it was perfect, we upgraded for a refurbished room and I cannot find anything to complain about it was clean, the bed was comfy had a lovely feel to it as did the whole place the bar and conservatory area was so relaxing to sit in for a few drinks, breakfast was also very tasty, will definitely be going back soon :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Amybum1993

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel, it's great to see you both had a good time with us. I hope you will be coming to see us again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here in February for my husband's birthday, Valentines Day and our first night away since having children! We'd been frequent guests to this hotel before and always had an enjoyable experience. This time was a totally different experience. We had booked one of the King suites, which wasn't ready when we arrived-it was past the check in time. We went to the bar and returned forty minutes later. We were then given a story about our room door being broken so they were putting us in a different room. On looking at this room, it was nothing like what we had paid for. On speaking to reception, I was dealt with by a young girl with a bad attitude who just said it was a "matter of opinion". I asked to speak with the manager and was kept waiting for a further twenty minutes. Eventually, the previous room miraculously opened and we ended up getting what we'd booked, some one hour and thirty minutes after we arrived. We were given a free bottle of wine at dinner which was a nice gesture but didn't make up for the disappointment of our check in experience. Little things like bath robes and slippers weren't in the room so had to be chased. At breakfast the next morning, all of the bread by the toaster was mouldy.It put me off eating. Overall this hotel has drastically gone down hill over the years. The first night we had of freedom from the kids was totally spoilt! The manager told us to email if we wanted to visit again so she could offer us a deal. I've emailed twice now about a September stay. No reply to either email. Think we'll go elsewhere!! Avoid unless you want to be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Karly82

Dear Karly82

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, sorry to read that it wasnt up to the standard expected. Please contact me to discuss your stay, my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stopped over for one night on business. Lovely setting with lots of free parking. A friendly welcome and quick check-in. Quite a trek to my room in one of the wings. Along the way, it was disappointing to see that some of the decor was 'tired'.

Room was very clean and bed comfortable. However, on an upper floor of the building the temperature was uncomfortably high. There was no aircon in the room - just a fan to move the warm air around a bit. Any number of fans are no replacement for aircon. Opened the window and left the room to cool. Sat outside, reading, until the sun went down. Pleasant views of the countryside.

Bar was well stocked but overpriced. Didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment on the food.

In summary, not too bad ... but not great either.

Room Tip: If the weather is even slightly warm, ask for a room on the ground floor or a room with aircon.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Derek K

Dear Derek K

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel, its good to read that you enjoyed most of the aspects of the hotel.

I hope you will be back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for one night last week. The hotel as you approach reminds you of a Harry Potter film!!

Reception is to the left of the main entrance, not the door right in the front of the building.....there was a sign but we didn't see it, maybe we were just overcome with the setting.

Check in was ok but directions to our room could have been much better. We had to go downstairs to take a lift to the 3rd floor, it was a bit of a maze.

Room was a standard and quiet large. Décor was ok and the room was clean and tidy. Divan had no valance though, so looked bare and unfinished, also needed a throw or something to give it a "luxury touch".

Beds really comfy though and a flat pillow for me. Wonderful !!

Bathroom was fine, clean with no mouldy grout, which is one of my pet hates.

We did go and have a look at the pool, the staff were nice, said we would need money for the lockers , they would give us towels etc. We did not use these facilities though.

We booked a table at the Grill for dinner. The menu was hard to figure out until you suddenly had a "eureka" moment, then it seemed clear. Maybe needs better definition.

Our food was very good, we both had different items for our 3 courses. I did send my Eton Mess back as it was strawberries and instant whip.....not one bit of meringue to be found. Chef did agree ....he sent out a new one. I should have asked for the chocolate brownie instead......next time.... I will.

Our waitress was Brilliant......a gem...she didn't rush us, was very caring and we hope she has a lovely time in Rome. What an asset to the hotel.

Breakfast was really good. Fruit was real, well my orange and grapefruit were, not out of a tin. I had smoked haddock and poached egg, husband had full English. Both were 100%. Coffee was hot, served in a pot and tasted of coffee.

Would we go back.......yes. Next time will go with friends, guys can have a beer and girls can have a swim.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SUNTAN47

Dear Suntan47

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel, its good to see you will be returning soon with friends to enjoy the hotel again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dunston Hall