“Needs some TLC”

Dunston Hall
Braintree, Essex
“Needs some TLC”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

There is a lot that is good about this hotel - the staff, the grounds and the public areas but it needs some money spending on the rooms. At £218 DBB for a Saturday night stay in a classic king room I had hoped this would be a fairly luxurious experience. The room was large but the furniture was tired and dated and the room was unbearably hot. There was only one pane of the window that opened and even though a fan was supplied it was very uncomfortable. Obviously the hotel cannot be responsible for the extreme heat but maybe some airconditioning is now expected in a hotel charging these prices. Some bottled water would have been nice too. However, the big letdown was the bathroom. It was probably superficially clean but I didn't want to touch the edges due to the black marks around the taps, shower screen and bath edges and mould in the grouting. The bath panel looked disgusting. I didn't actually want to spend any time in there and certainly didn't want to have a long luxuriating bath before dinner. The toiletries were good quality but no flannels. Our friends were in a different style of room (though we had booked the same) and they had 2 huge rooms linked together. The second room had easy chairs, a settee, a dining table and chairs, another tv and another toilet. This would be nice but the settee was so stained (and torn and stitched in one area) we didn't want to sit on it.

Carvery buffet for dinner was good if not quite the fine dining we expected.

After dinner we went to have a drink in the bar or terrace. The bar was full so we ventured out onto the lovely terrace and this is where the next problem arises. It is a very large hotel and a I realised there would probably be a wedding on in some part of the hotel. However, there were three weddings at the same time in different areas of the hotel. We had already experienced this in the afternoon when sitting on the terrace. Various photos were being taken around us and we were listening to two wedding events. In the evening we got to enjoy the loud music from the different weddings at the same time!! Not quite the relaxing evening we hoped for.

Long queue to checkout in the morning (particularly as two receptionists were involved in complaints) but staff very polite.

To summarise: If you are a guest at a wedding or part of a group of golfers this hotel is a good option but for anyone not part of a large group it is not suitable and De Vere hotels must invest in their hotel rooms to charge those prices. We would not go again or recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ChristiG148
Dear ChristiG148

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us, sorry to see some aspects of your time with us were not as you had expected.

Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss them my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Catrin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Polish first
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

An impressive facade. Inside, still an impressive looking building, although there are a few tired looking areas.

My room was very nice. Probably recently redecorated and in keeping with what I would expect for a mid-priced hotel of this type.

Once I had finished work I was able to use the driving range, which was a pleasant way to end the day. In good condition and not unreasonably priced. I hope to have the time to use the golf course on my next visit, which may well be in September.

Rather than go to the dinning room, I had a burger in the golf bar. The service there was very good. Polite but friendly.

Room comfort was average, with the room being fairly hot I didn't have a great night's sleep.

Breakfast was a buffet style. Edible, ordinary...no complaints.

My bill included a second dinner and drinks which I hadn't had. I explained this to the receptionist, who eventually agreed to take them off. It was only when I got home that I found that the drinks had in fact been left on my bill. Only £7.00, but nonetheless it does demonstrate a degree of disinterest on her part. All in all though that is my only real negative.

As I mentioned above, I will be going back and hope that my experience will be similar or better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Andy W

Thank you for taking the time to review Dunston Hall, its great to see you enjoyed your stay and will be returning to see us again soon.

I look forwrad to welcoming you back.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

stayed for a night with the wife, greeted very well on check-in by by friendly staff. our room was a little dated / tired looking but was fairly comfortable.used the pool which boasted a steam room and sauna . the hotel also had spa treatment and a gym which looked o.k .. the restaurant was good , food alacarte or self service carvery..
a nights sleep was disturbed by people coming back to their rooms , and a yappy dog. not a bad golf course for those interested.
overall not a bad expierience but the hotel could benefit from some t.l.c .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Clydehicksie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Dunston Hall, it's good to read that overall you enjoyed your stay, its a shame to read that other guests disturbed your well deserved nights rest.

I hope you will return to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on vacation with my wife. The hotel is a real gem in a lovely setting. I would say the public areas of the hotel are well maintained and very pleasant. Some of the areas behind the scenes like corridors and the pool area would benefit from a bit of tlc. On check in we were not given the room I had booked. Had to go back to reception to sort it out (sponsored walk) and was told the room I had been allocated was the one I had booked, which it was not. I was upgraded which was ok but would have preferred the room I wanted originally. The girl on reception didn't believe me, was difficult, rude and the duty manager had to step in, importantly it was sorted which is what I would expect, it didn't ruin the stay but was unnecessary. I stay in a lot of hotels and this one is ok, but my expectations were higher than it delivered. On a positive note the breakfast was very good. If staying again I would recommend a deluxe garden room as they are downstairs and in a new wing, they looked very nice.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Portised
Dear Portised

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Dunston Hall, its good to see that overall you were happy with your stay, I hope you will be returning to us in the near future and trying out one of our ground floor deluxe rooms, im sure you will enjoy them.

Kind Regards

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I booked to stay here for one night in a King De Vere Suite to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was not cheap - £270 for room , dinner and breakfast as a package.Overall impression of hotel is that is dated and tired. Pre dinner drinks on the terrace were disturbed by two different male golfing parties who were loud and using crude and foul language with no regard for other guests. We gave up and went to dinner in the brasserie and chose the carvery which was a major disappointment as food was overcooked, over heated and watery. We were offered a glass of prosecco each to "celebrate" our anniversary which we thought was a nice touch until we saw that it was not complementary and we had been charged £6.50 a glass on our bill! When we went to bed we could not sleep as there was a wedding in the marquee in the grounds and they were playing loud music until 1.30am. We were then woken again by a faulty fire alarm at 3.30am. We phoned reception and they apologised. But we still could not sleep as some drunk was outside in the grounds singing in a loud voice. No one seemed to try to stop him. When we checked out in the morning no one asked how our stay was. It was rather busy with other guests checking out so we left and decided to send De Vere an email outlining our bad experience. This was sent to the customer services email address on the web site but so far we have had no acknowledgement let alone a reply or apology. If Dunston Hall wishes to book golfing and wedding parties and does not advise other guests of this when booking then that is a poor show and they will not get us staying there again. And if De Vere cannot be bothered to reply or even acknowledge our email then we will not be staying at any of their other venues.

Room Tip: pick a corner away from all function rooms if possible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KEVIN P P
Dear Kevin PP

Thank you for your review of Dunston Hall, i'm sorry to see you didnt enjoy your time with us, please contact me directly to discuss your stay, my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a belated valentines night and it was perfect, we upgraded for a refurbished room and I cannot find anything to complain about it was clean, the bed was comfy had a lovely feel to it as did the whole place the bar and conservatory area was so relaxing to sit in for a few drinks, breakfast was also very tasty, will definitely be going back soon :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Amybum1993

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel, it's great to see you both had a good time with us. I hope you will be coming to see us again in the near future.

UK
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here in February for my husband's birthday, Valentines Day and our first night away since having children! We'd been frequent guests to this hotel before and always had an enjoyable experience. This time was a totally different experience. We had booked one of the King suites, which wasn't ready when we arrived-it was past the check in time. We went to the bar and returned forty minutes later. We were then given a story about our room door being broken so they were putting us in a different room. On looking at this room, it was nothing like what we had paid for. On speaking to reception, I was dealt with by a young girl with a bad attitude who just said it was a "matter of opinion". I asked to speak with the manager and was kept waiting for a further twenty minutes. Eventually, the previous room miraculously opened and we ended up getting what we'd booked, some one hour and thirty minutes after we arrived. We were given a free bottle of wine at dinner which was a nice gesture but didn't make up for the disappointment of our check in experience. Little things like bath robes and slippers weren't in the room so had to be chased. At breakfast the next morning, all of the bread by the toaster was mouldy.It put me off eating. Overall this hotel has drastically gone down hill over the years. The first night we had of freedom from the kids was totally spoilt! The manager told us to email if we wanted to visit again so she could offer us a deal. I've emailed twice now about a September stay. No reply to either email. Think we'll go elsewhere!! Avoid unless you want to be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Karly82
Dear Karly82

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, sorry to read that it wasnt up to the standard expected. Please contact me to discuss your stay, my email is catrin.long@devere-hotels.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Holy Cross
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!