“Disappointing”

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

Dunston Hall is a mixed bag and needs to improve to match its 4 star rating
I stayed for 3 nights in August, having previously stayed in March.
My room was below standard – generally shabby with burnt lampshades, hole in the net curtains, loose fittings, TV remote not working and worst of all next to a drier room that meant the level of noise at night was unacceptable. I don’t find this poor standard of room in a Travelodge or a Premier Inn and certainly don’t expect it in a 4 star DeVere hotel. I moved room and this was better but still not up to scratch. Bathroom tiling was grubby, TV remote again not working and for the two nights in the room I had no hot water, despite reporting it twice. General tidieness in the lobby areas also lets the place down making me feel management really need to open their eyes to the issues here.
The setting is impressive as is the building. Breakfast is good and the Al-a Carte in the Brasserie was enjoyable with good quality local ingredients and really good service.
I will choose not to stay again for while and hope that when I do improvements have been made

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

I booked one of the summer special breaks at this hotel (£250 for four midweek nights) but was concerned when I read some of the recent reviews. I feared the low price was going to be reflected in a poor experience but I could not have been more wrong.
We were given an upgrade to a deluxe room which was modern, clean, well equipped, very comfortable with a wonderfully large bathroom. It was a 4-star room at a 2-star price. In contrast, some of the furniture in the public areas such as the bar was distinctly shabby which clearly shows the hotel has issues it needs to resolve.The leisure facilities were first rate and the hotel is set within beautiful grounds.
However, this is a large hotel and, at the time we were there, was very busy with families with children. Consequently, there were delays at breakfast but all the staff worked hard to keep these to a minimum. If you're looking for high levels of personal attention, this is probably not the place to go. But for value for money (especially if you get an upgrade) it's hard to beat. They say you get what you pay for but here, we got so much more.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

My wife Wendy and I (Gary) payed £100 each for a one night stay which included breakfast, an evening meal (which was a great Buffett style affair) and two rounds of golf.
Our room was wonderful. We paid an extra £40 for a view over the golf course. Stunning view.
The room was very clean. The bathroom was huge but when you use the shower it was not too good on pressure but fine for a quick job. The bed mattress was not that good as we did roll towards each other as it was flaccid in the middle. We did sleep fine but woke up several times as we were a bit uncomfortable.
The restaurant was fine. Great food and the Buffett meant that you could eat as much food as you wanted. The staff were wonderful. My only fault was that they sold water at £3.85 a large bottle. Ask for tap. Free. Don't but alcohol or extras as they will be expensive.
Right, the golf course. My wife and I aren't great at golf and are members at a small golf course. Warning, this is a huge stunning course and if you ate even slightly unfit might struggle to get round without feeling tired. Either lose some weight and get fit as what I should have done or get used to walking. The course is amazing. The views fantastic and the wild life just wonderful.
We did cheat and take our own wine and drink it outside on the patio to save money. Any alcohol is always expensive in these sort of hotels.
Overall our stay was fine. The staff were good and helpful and the room was adequate and the golf course stunning. For a short golfing holiday this was wonderful.
We would definitely go again some time in the future.
Overall our stay was good. Alot

• Stayed August 2010
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

I booked this hotel for my first weekend without kids in tow. I mentioned this when booking online and asked for a quiet room. I was allocated a lovely deluxe room (think it was an upgrade too) at the end of a corridor in the new block. It was really quiet, huge bed, comfy seating area and nice decor.
We made full use of the pool and spa area which was very pleasant. I found all the staff friendly, saying hello in the corridors etc.
the breakfast is normally a highlight for me and my husband, and we were not disappointed here. To be picky we were not offered tea the first morning, but the waitress was apologetic when I approached her. The toast was closer to bread too, but overall lots of choice ( the cakes divine!) including jars of peanut butter, nutella etc!
Our room was so quiet we were surprised how many people were at breakfast, we saw a couple of weddings from afar which looked lovely. The weather was poor but we managed a quick stroll around the grounds which were delightful. We went into Norwich on the park and ride which is just a mile from the hotel and ate out both evenings.
We thought it was a good value break and would consider going again and taking the children too!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

After reading recent reviews i was concerned that my husband's treat for me of a two night stay here, whilst attending a family wedding, could prove a big disappointment. He mentioned this when he rang to confirm our check in time and when we arrived we had been upgraded to the third floor of the new wing.
Although it is a bit of a trek involving two lifts and a bit of a walk these are well appointed, with air conditioning which is just as well as the windows are far too small . But the enormous bed with lovely linen spacious sitting area and practical bathroom are all to be recommended. I personally liked the big pile of cushions - lovely for reading the papers in bed. There was the odd thing to be picky about - only one of each for the toiletries - guess who used all the bath stuff in one go leaving husband without! Kettle was all furred up but quickly changed by housekeeping staff. TV reception was rubbish - that does need improving. I hate noise and it was so lovely and quiet at night.
Food - carvery good value and good choice. Breakfast - excellent, fresh fish and poached egg came very quickly when i ordered it. It is all a bit diy but there was plenty of choice
The hotel was tremendously busy - weddings ,hotel guests, golfers etc but all the staff i met were helpful and friendly. Yes there was a queue to check out - but people do have the option of express checkout if they so choose.
We checked out the spa- yes underground but fine, mini golf - brill, walked in the grounds lovely.!
so in summary - if you get one of the newer rooms this hotel is certainly a nice place to stay near Norwich. I enjoyed my break and would stay at Dunston Hall agan.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

Having stayed at Dunston Hall on many occasions, both business and pleasure, we were so disappointed with our recent visit, suffice as to say I dont think we will return. As a traveller, I can take furniture thats a bit market, but as long as the hotel is clean and the food OK I would not make too big a deal of it. However, what I cannot take is poor customer serivce, especially at a four star hotel. The Reception staff certainly did not give a warm welcome - one person only at reception, who then left to take the customers luggage to their room - no porter! A further receptionist materialised by which time a long queue had formed, my husband handed over his credit card, and then the whole queue were informed it was "declined" not professional (if did then go through). A further receptionist came to serve to another customer - poor bloke, a name was not down in his name and he was virtually left to resolve the matter. Why oh why is there a need to change the check in time - we were not allowed to check in before 3pm. This was a company function so lots of people trying to check in to not friendly staff. I was allowed to charge items to my room even though I couldnt check in as such and told this would not be a problem. I had a pimms in the bar - went to sign for it as the bar person was unable to allocate it to my room and whilst waiting (again) to be served, two members walked past me, ignoring me - so I left the bar!
We then ordered sandwiches on the terrace - tasted like the bread had been frozen and the defrosted in the microwave - they went back and the 2nd lot although better not exactly worth their money! The meal in the evening was, in my opinion, poor but then it was for a very large group and I do appreciate the difficulties that are involved. Our room was clean and tidy although the lampshade had been ripped (nit picking I know). Emailed the hotel to advise them of my thoughts, email back saying manager would like to contact me - not heard anything yet. We picked this hotel for my husbands 40th birthday (8 years ago) and have been back several times - all good, although the last few visits left you thinking an upgrade was needed to the decor. Where have those lovely comfy sofas gone opposite the fire in reception? Reception looks very formal - personal I know but not how I think this hotel needs to promote itself.
What didnt help was on the 13th July we stayed at the De Vere in Leeds - Oulton Hall - great go there totally wonderful experience everything and more - lovely welcome and great stay.
Really hope De Vere recify these issues as I for one would not return paying the rates to receive this level of service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

The hotel is impressive when you drive up. Check in was fine but once I got to the room it was a let down. The place needs updating for the prices it charges.

The bed was ok but I ask to be moved to a room that didn't smell of mould. The second room I had was a non smoking room that reeked of tabacco so asked to be moved again. (Seriously it was that bad I don't think a smoker would have stayed there!)

Third room was silimar standard and having seen three rooms, I can say the 2 star rooms don't deserve the four star price. Cleaning and/or maintenance is an issue.

Breakfast in the restaurant was good and they had a chef that you could actually talk to and get freshly cooked items. Much better that food hanging around on a buffet getting dry and overcooked.

Only issue was that evening, it seems when I changed and went for an early dinner, my atire on a Wednesday evening during spring/summer was in appropriate. (Shorts) I was told I would have the options of changing, eating 4 meters from the restaurant door I had been turned away from in the bar or going to the bistro in the country club in the grounds. I'm sure the 100 seater restaurant with 4 people in it could have beared with me at 1830 in the evening for 90 minutes. I got the impression it was more the guy at the door had little else to do and wanted a bit of authority in his life. He also wasn't to impressed when I said he had forgot the fourth option of where I drive into Norwich and get something to eat there still in my shorts and my money would go with me. (I could understand on a busier night or Friday/Saturday but when I got back later and decided to have a drink there were a different four people in the restauarant. Not particularly busy I thought. Perhaps this place makes so much money they dont need our custom. Anyway as Al Murray says, their rules.)

Did actually have a meal with a collague in La Fontaine another night and it was good.

Also did try Bunkers the bistro type place in the golf club. That wasn't so good. Bar food and not particularly impressive.

As per other comments, yes there were things on my bill there shouldn't have been when I checked out. Sort quickly though like its a normal event????

Did use the fitness club but the pool isn't really suitable for a swim. It's an L shape and you can't do laps. Seemed fine for the women doing water arobics though.

So overall all, I'd eat here again but would i choose to spend my own money to stay here. Lets put it this way, if the company booked me back in and were paying again yes.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,087 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!