“What a lovely hotel!”

Dunston Hall
Birmingham
“What a lovely hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

I thought Dunston Hall had some of the best views and nicest staff I've come across. I was fortunate to stay in the penthouse which was huge and very novel. The food in the bistro was delicious. The decor was tasteful and beatifully done. Loved the spa, the swimming pool was a bit of a funny shape and it was delinated for lane swimmers which people didn't stick to but not the hotel's fault! A delightful and relaxing atomosphere in a pretty part of the country. Would recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eagerguest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Polish first
suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

Having read some of the reviews was a bit concerned about booking, but having stayed for 2 nights im not sure what people want. The place was clean,staff friendly,we had free use of the pool,steam room,sauna, food very good but quite expensive for dinner.but the breakfast which was included in the price was very good lots of choice we would not heitate to go back again. look on the net for cheap offers

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

We stayed for 2 nights and had a really good stay. Our room (standard) was clean and comfy and quiet. Breakfast was excellent and service good. Staff were friendly and smiled when passing in corridors. Room was quite a way from Reception but lifts were available and signage very good. I used the pool and was very pleased with the facilities there. We ate out in Norwich first night and on second decided to try the Carvery which was £19.95 for 3 courses and coffee/tea. This was all buffet type but the choice was fantastic through the three courses. Service was good as it was at breakfast. We had the added thrill of the England Under 21 football team staying there as they were playing at Carrow Road. We really enjoyed our stay and would happily return.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Wiltshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

We booked a two day stay at this hotel and when we arrived we were in awe at the facade of the hotel and the lovely drive to it. Thats where the smiles ended. We were welcomed by a receptionist who advised me that they had no rooms available to accommodate us as were were travelling with my 3-year old daughter (although we did book a family room in advance) so we were "upgraded" to a suite (The Ash Suite). When we finally reached the room, after going up and down in the lifts, we thought we had reached a store room for old damaged furniture. It was truely awful. The mattress was so flat that it hurt to turn over. It is our opinion that it was so old that the springs had just given up. The room was tired with broken furniture. The bathroom was dirty. In fact, we refused to shower in the room and waited until we found another hotel and showered there.

We were immediately below a function room, and heard staff rearranging the furniture all night. The movement did not stop. My wife complained at 11pm and was told that there were no rooms left in the hotel. At 2am she could bear the noise no more and again complained to Reception, who basically said there was absolutely nothing more they could do! At 7am when our daughter woke up, we went to breakfast, which was cold considering we were the first there it was unacceptable. We checked out and told the hotel that we were not paying.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It is extremely poor value for money. The rooms are dirty and delapadated. The staff are unfriendly and will not listen to any critisism. To give this hotel a 4-star is beyond a joke! It only deserves 2 at the very very most. The very worst of this chain that we have ever stayed in. If you are thinking of staying in Norwich, try the Holiday Inn as it overlooks Norwich City Football Club pitch and is absolutely superb.

I have read the reviews of this hotel and notice that a bad review is closely followed by a positive review - I wonder if mine will be followed by a positive review (I am wondering if anyone associated with this hotel is adding their views!!!)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank andrewc73

Travellers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

We can only say good things about the restaurant as that was areal treat and exceeded expectations, the food and service brilliant - pricey though.

But we were let down by our room (number 523). My parter's side of the matterss was...well ripped and collapsing and uncomfortable. The ironing board/trouserpress didn't seem to work, the filter in the bathroom either broken or deactivated? AND there wasn't a pen in the room to complete the maintenance form, and no we didn't bring one with us, well there was a pencil in the drawer but it was blunt. I know these are relatively small things but you do expect this and more don't you.

When we reported the issues, especially the mattress issue, the next morning at check out, the woman questioned us why we didn't say at the time? I explained that we didn't go to bed till after midnight by the time we finished our meals etc, and it was too late then...we wouldn't have been prepared to wait for a new mattress for who knows how long, let alone move our stuff into a new room. The woman automatically offered a discount on the bill (which we appreciated), but I feel she wasn't sincerely sorry or interested in the complain issue..and I'm not even sure if she's going to see to it that it's sorted. Customer services is not just about giving a discount so we weren't impressed such a shame.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HB79UK
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

I recently stayed at Dunston Hall with my partner and was instantly delighted with the hotel's impressive exterior. Even better was when we had been upgraded to the penthouse at no extra cost! We stayed on a Monday/Tuesday so it was very quiet with only a few golfing groups staying alongside us. Our room was HUGE with high wooden beamed ceilings - We had a kitchen, two bedrooms, a dining area and living room. It was clean, well furnished and comfortable. My only gripe would have been that the kitchen was not functional (I was told not to use the cooker or dishwasher) and I would have been severely disappointed had I paid the full price for a penthouse. But, perhaps this was owing to necessary repair work? The receptionist could not explain. Breakfast was good quality and the staff was very helpful. The only time I had mild annoyance was when I was waiting patiently at the bar for a drink whilst the bartender served a group, then when they left, another bartender arrived and both ignored me and my partner and pretended to do other things like wipe the surface! The room was empty so we looked so obvious standing at the bar on our own. Then, another guest walked in and they asked him what he wanted straight away ! I spoke up and one bartender apologised and said he thought his colleague was serving us. The other colleague had a smirk of a grin on his face as he wiped an glass and it narked me a bit. But I guess it happens to a lot of people in a lot of places. I just don't expect it in a 4 star hotel. But I had a comfortable stay in all and the hotel is beautifully located. Would visit again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Lincolnshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

Stayed in a Suite at Dunston Hall with our two children - aged 2 and 11 years. The suite itself was spacious with two rooms, a dining area, a bathroom and an addition seperate toilet in the childrens room. Each room had a seperate TV which was great for the evenings as it meant we could close the adjoining door over whilst the children were sleeping at night to watch TV and in the mornings they could watch TV without waking us up (great to have a sleep in occasionally). That said, the actual quality of the room was a bit tired - paper peeling off the walls in the corners etc. We had a great view over the golf course oneside and the terrace the other.

Breakfast was good quality and the choice was quite extensive. Did not eat in the main dining room for any other meals but did have room service, which was just about OK but no more.

All in all - good value, nice location, nice pool, nice looking hotel but in need of a refurb inside. Would stay again if I wanted to go back to that part of Norfolk and could get a good deal but wouldn't be shattered if there were no vacancies!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,084 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!