The Old Rectory Hotel
  • Pool
Hotel Wroxham(Wroxham)
Aylwyne House(Norwich)
View Hotel
All reviewsheated swimming poolround tablelarge conservatoryfamily run hotelnorfolk broadsfull englishfunction roomlovely hotelwedding venuegood sizepleasant stayrooms were very cleannothing too much troublewedding receptionample parkingevening meallovely setting
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We arrived at this lovely hotel on Thursday late afternoon. The Welcome was very good and nothing too much trouble. The hotel rooms were lovely, clean, spacious and the bed was very comfortable, a real home from home. Breakfast was lovely and service very good. We were part of a Wedding Party so there were a lot to cater for. The Wedding itself was wonderful from start to finish and the food excellent. The Hotel Gardens are lovely and relaxing, also the swimming pool looked wonderful although we did not get change to have a swim. All in all the Hotel was brilliant.

We would stay at this hotel again. If we were to comment about any negative it was that the Hotel Sign could have been larger to enable to be seen from the Road, but do not let this negative stop you from stopping at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Used this hotel as a dog-friendly venue for visiting Norwich. As stated, it's about 5miles from the city centre.

It has clearly developed a good business for weddings & hence we would be reluctant to stay if a large wedding was taking place at the same time. It has good spacious grounds and is a proper dog-friendly hotel.

The room was comfortable, clean, well fitted out & featured a good super-king sized bed. Food in the restaurant & bar was straightfood but entirely satisfactory & reasonably priced. Interestingly the free wi-fi signal tended to peter out the further you were from the reception area so if this is important the position of the room should be checked on booking.

The reception staff were delightful & could not have been more helpful. We were happy with this hotel & would use it again on any future visit to Norwich.

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi, book a room closer to reception.
2  Thank SKETTYTRAVELLER
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We went for Sunday lunch having seen very good reviews but our experience left us wondering was it a bad day or were the reviews written through rose coloured glasses.
The setting is ideal and the staff excellent and attentive but the actual food does not live up to the occasion. I had garlic mushrooms for the starter and they appeared very quickly after ordering, perhaps on reflection too quickly, and looked very grey and uninviting probably due to the fact I suspect they were tinned not fresh and my wifes melon with a fruit coulis consisted of two small fanned pieces of melon with three blobs of coulis, small, smaller and minute.
We ordered lamb for the main course which in itself was very tender, no complaints, but the vegetables seemed very downmarket with tinned peas which tasted very sugary and carrots that were cut very roughly lengthways and thick, OK with a cheap £4.95 carvery but not for this pricey meal.
Desserts were lemon tart which my wife said was very nice and my crepes which consisted of two small COLD crepes with a warm fruit compote that again came out of a tin, the strawberries being just a quivering blob.
If attention was paid to the use of fresh ingredients rather than tinned then the meal and the venue would certainly be worth recommending

2  Thank AvidtravellerNorfolk
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Booked the Valentine meal for myself and my good lady wife thinking it would be ok but at least we were out for dinner. What a thoroughly pleasant surprise we had when we turned up. The room had been decorated out very nicely and we were met by very nice staff with a complimentary drink, shown to our table and placed our food order. The standard of the food was very good and value for money. To top off the evening a box of chocks was the complimentary gift to the ladies. Good food, lovely efficient staff and value for money made a lovely evening, thank you to all responsible, will definitely try this place out for a normal evening meal.

1  Thank buster38284
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I held our wedding reception here last weekend and we can safely say we couldn't of picked a better place. The food was second to none and service was amazing. Bedrooms are decorated tastefully and beds very comfortable. Bathroom was modern with a wonderful shower (I wanted to take it home!)

The staff are brilliant, especially Becky and Ian. From the day I contacted the hotel, I felt I could trust them with our big day, and how right I was. Everything ran smoothly and I am sad to know that I won't be popping over there for anymore meetings or having regular contact with these fabulous people. I can't recommend them enough.

Thank you for your amazing service, and keep up with the hard work, you deserve many more future customers:)

• Stayed: February 2013