“Perfect”

Lilin Lovina Beach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Lovina Beach
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I just want to say everything is perfect. The location, the view and the service. We do not want to leave until the last minutes. If I have a chance to go to Lovina, I will choose Lilin again definitely.
Highly recommendation for family trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Lilin Lovina Beach Hotel

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Visited this unique boutique hotel in October 2013, and I loved it! I have been to Bali 3 times and after holidaying in Sanur with family and friends on this third visit, I decided I would go off on my own and travel north, to see another part of Bali. I stayed for 3 nights (which I booked on line, and it was much cheaper than my hotel in Sanur!). My bed was comfortable, the food great (don't expect the 'normal' type of food that you get in large hotels, nor the same type of menus. The food was fresh and the cocktails different in a nice way. Sit and have a cocktail by the ocean listening to Rikki and her husband entertaining you from 6-7pm. She has a great voice! There's no TV or telephone, so I enjoyed looking at DVDs I took with me and a portable DVD player. It was great to hop into my own little pool after I had been out all day visiting temples and waterfalls. My only disappointment was the dolphin experience; it was more a hunt by dozens of small boats, chasing after the dolphins, with the fumes and noise of the boats. At least I was up early enough to see the sun rise behind the mountains, as we returned to the shore! There is a security guard at night as you are close to the road. I put all my valuables in Rikki's safe. I am in my sixties and often travel on my own. I did not feel quite as safe in Singaraja as I did in Sanur, as there are not as many tourists there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights.

Pros
- Very friendly staff especially Kadek who will drive you into town and pick you up when needed.
- only 5 rooms each with their own plunge pool (though I'm not sure when our pool was cleaned last, was a little dirty)
- very quite place to relax
- live band each night
- amazing sunrises and sunsets

Cons
- Food at the restaurant is expensive compared to the rest of Lovina. (Eat at the Global Village Cafe. A Non for Profit)

- the locals who hang out the front of the resort can be quite persistent to buy clothes / jewelry and was annoying by the end of our stay. Even after getting a massage, buying some clothes and jewelry from them, they put a guilt trip on us by saying they didn't have enough money to buy rice for the children and wanted us to buy more. But seem to have enough money to use their mobile phones! They really spoilt the experience here and was glad to move on.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 18 July 2014

A bit difficult to find with GPS, we missed the sign coming from Singaraja. We were pleasantly surprised by the nice rooms and the small, clean pool. The beach bar is a great place to enjoy the sunset

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was our 5th trip to Bali but first time we had ventured north and chose Lilin Lovina as our home for 4 nights. We had Villas 1&2 which were booked as a family room - consisted of two separate apartments of a large bedroom and separate bathroom. They didn't have internal connecting doors but both opened onto a large shared verandah with a small plunge pool for each room. Suited us perfectly with my husband and I in 1 room and 16yo daughter in the other.
Lilin is not the usual private villa as they open out onto a lovely shared grassed area across which is the small outdoor restaurant and a couple of lovely sitting areas with hammocks, comfy cushions, sunlounges and chairs and tables all overlooking the beach. There are only about 8 villas so even when full there were not alot of people around and always plenty of room to get a seat by the beach.
The rooms were simply furnished with fantastically comfy bed and chair, bar fridge and a quaint hanging contraption made of rope and bamboo (this was the only 'wardrobe' but seriously who has clothes that need hanging up when you are in Bali!)
There was no television in the room but when we mentioned it a television, dvd player with selection of DVDs and an Ipod dock were promptly delivered without us asking for them.
All the staff were great - especially Peter and Kadek who seemed to be the ones in charge and with the best English. Lilin is quite a long walk from the main eating/market area in Lovina but they offer a free shuttle service anytime until 9pm at night. We used this a couple of times a day and it was fantastic - just had to ask at reception and the vehicle and driver were available within minutes. We would then phone them to be picked up or you could set a time and place for them to come back and get you.
Breakfast was a set menu with a different sweet and savoury option every morning - some interesting dishes on offer but every morning included fresh juice and a lovely fruit platter so if the cooked offerings didn't appeal you still had plenty.
The evening meal menu also looked interesting but a bit confusing to order - we steered away from it and ate in Lovina every night until our last when we couldn't be bothered going out. What a lovely surprise - the spread we received at Lilin was amazing, so much food and all really tasty and well presented. Wished we'd had another chance to dine there!
There are locals on the beach that offer massages and the usual sarongs/necklaces/carved dolphins. They will call out to you or try and engage in conversation while you are relaxing or having a meal - this was a little annoying (only 2-3 at a time though) but once you said no they would leave you along until the next day! I had a couple of great massages from Sari and of course bought a sarong and carved dolphin while we were there!
All in all our stay at Lilin Lovina was great - such a lovely relaxing place to spend our last few days in Bali. We didn't want to leave. The WiFi was great too.
I did take a bag of clothes to the laundry directly across the road - when I collected it and unpacked it back at the Villa there were 2 of my daughters nice tops missing. I went straight back to ask about them but she was adamant that I got all of the items I had left there back. A coincidence that only the nicest of my daughters tops didn't return? Who knows. I have always used the 'home laundries' in various place across Bali and this is the first time that has happened so a real shame.
If we ever venture back to Lovina we would certainly look at Lilin Lovina to call home again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I've been to the Lilin Beach Hotel for 4 nights and it was a very pleasant stay. The hotel has arranged a pick up car from the Denpasar Airport. Arriving at the hotel – 3 hours later we were greeted with the best "karma" that Bali has and quickly got our room, which is a small bungalow with a small swimming pool - and terrace with table and hanging bed - private yet in contact with the "surrounding world" and look to the beach. Lilin is a small and intimate beach hotel, where you have time to get into conversation with several guests and staff. Everyone is smiling and friendly welcoming - not just at the hotel - but generally the area. There is outdoor seating in the evening - actually on the beach - and Lilin has probably the best lounge music at the beach in Bali - live every night - an hour during dinner, between 6-7 pm, when the sun goes down. Great experience. A general good beach, with little stones for the more inexperienced swimmers and with many opportunities for boating, snorkeling, dolphin tours etc, if you do not just want to laze on the beach with a cocktail and a good book. Free transportation for instance from and to the hotel to the nearby "Center" where there are lot of small restaurants, shows that Lilin want to make your stay as good as possible. Overall a very pleasant stay which can only be recommended, if you want some days away from the hard beat and life in Kuta. Thanks to all Lilin.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anders L
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were beyond delighted with our stay at Lilin Lovina in June 2014. We stayed for 3 nights and wished we'd booked for another couple of nights!
The 'resort' is small, I'd say boutique. I could see only 7 rooms, each with a semi-private plunge pool (each room has their own pool but it is not completely walled off, so you probably wouldn't consider skinny dipping!). All the rooms form a semi-circle around a central grass area, on the other side of which is a few lounges and the small boutique dining area, on the other side of this is the beach!! It is a black sand beach with tiny waves lapping at the shore, not a surf beach. The grounds of Lilin Lovina are perfectly quiet and serene. There was usually one person on the beach trying to sell things in the morning but they weren't very persistent, so we were largely un-harassed the whole time. The rooms were bright, clean, new and comfortable and they even had a water cooler so we could drink all the clean water we wanted!! How thoughtful!!
The breakfast was a set menu, but this changed every morning, and each meal was cooked fresh for you, no buffet-style food that's been sitting around all morning. Also, the dinner menu looked unusual, so we gave it a miss and ate in town the first night. The next night we ate at the restaurant and were blown away by how good the meals were - definitely give it a try!! Each night there was free entertainment. The nights we were there this consisted of live jazz tunes on the beach, simply amazing, with the sunset in the background, lounging on a cushion, drinking cocktails... ahhh how I cant wait to go back!!
I would definitely recommend this place, it ticked all my boxes and more!! I would recommend if you do the dolphin tour in the morning then organise for the boat driver to stop and let you snorkel some spots on the way back, it's about 200 metres off shore - a bit far to swim, but looked amazing! Defintely worth the few dollars it cost.
'Peter' seemed to be running the place when we were there and his service was second to none, he kept very good attention to detail and I hope he is still there when we return!
If you are thinking of visiting Lovina then do it sooner rather than later. I think they are planning an airport here, and if that eventuates then this will probably be the next Kuta, what a disappointment that would be.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple