“A beautiful find”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Lovina Beach
Brisbane
“A beautiful find”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently and it was lovely. Large spacious rooms, relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff. Loved seeing the house dogs walking around the garden. The staff were friendly and helpful. We had local Balinese friends visit and they were greeted with respect, which is sometimes not the case in other high end hotels.

The fixed breakfast menu doesn't provide a big choice but there are plenty of local restaurants around if you want to try something different.

An added bonus was the friendliness of the owner and his wife. We would certainly recommend this hotel to other Australians. Jo & Tony

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Richard H, Owner at Rambutan Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for your complimentary review. We hope to see you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Indonesian first
St. Andrews Beach, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After 5 days in Legian, we were ready for our first trip up to Lovina. After researching online for a place to stay, we found great value at Rambutan. With 2 boys aged 4 & 2 years old we needed space and the 2 bedroom Permaisuri villa was perfect.The staff at the Rambutan are so friendly, you tend to feel like you are part of the family. The larger of the 2 pools was close by to our villa and perfect for the kids who are learning to swim. Breakfast included was always good and the restaurant serves yummy food with a wide selection. The kids enjoyed the playground and the play area in the restaurant. We organised our transport requirements through the Rambutan and "Eddie" our driver was fantastic - a great tour guide and entertainer for the kids. We also took the cooking class which was well and truly worthwhile. The resort is in a good location with a short walk to the main road or down to the beach. We had 4 nights of peaceful sleep and would highly recommend the Rambutan as a place to stay when in Lovina. Thanks to Richard for a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed 16 October 2013

As described in title, the hotel was beatiful, good and big rooms, especially the staff was very nice and friendly, was in contact with 3 girls working at the bar and the man working overall at the bar and reception.
Restourant was good, especially loved the beef with mushed potatos, the best potatos I've ever tryed :)
And nice dogs you got there, loved the old one.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
brighton uk
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We were recommended this resort by a close friend and have been very satisfied with the quality of this friendly boutique hotel. The grounds and gardens are particularly well maintained. Large clean spacious rooms and they were more than happy to provide an extra double mattress for our small children. Great quality breakfast and only a two minute walk to the beach. If you fancy something different on the north coast of Bali well worth checking this place out

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Our 3 night stay was very comfortable here. Good breakfast! They have 2 swimming pools and nice lounging blocks. Wouldn't book a trip here, way to expensive. Bali Bali has great prices. The place is just a 3 minute walk from the beach and central area! Go for it..

Stayed October 2013
Yangshuo County, China
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Overall a nice place with a very nice and well kept garden. Two swimming pools, one of which is right by the bar. There are all these superbly designed little areas where you can sit and relax. The building style of the bungalows is also very, very nice. That part was a-OK.

After waking up at 02:00 in the morning, climbing a volcano and having to take two long car rides, with a boat ride in the middle, we were happy to finally arrive in Lovina. Being that tired makes it easier to be annoyed maybe, but if the receptionist stops in the middle of a sentence and turns his back on you to go talk to a lady who is passing by, you are obviously not amused. Luckily there was another guy who could take over the check-in process.

The room was good, spacy. I guess our travel agent hadn't explained our situation very well so I got to sleep with Donald Duck blankets :). I don't mind the smaller bed, we knew there wouldn't be family rooms available at all hotels during the trip and it could just be an extra bed. (BTW if you ever travel in Indonesia in a group of three adults, check all hotels beforehand or make sure you book family rooms only, or even stay in an other cheaper hotel if you want to save the money, because you'll be camping in the room in some places, This has nothing to do with this or other hotels, it's good they offer the extra bed service, but don't expect too much of it). I don't mind the Donald Duck misunderstanding either, but when you see me in person, even changing the sheets while I'm sitting in the room you may want to change them for normal ones :)

The service in the bar was very good. And whenever you are walking through the huge garden area, staff you pass is always very friendly and welcoming, as in most places in Indonesia.

On one of our outings we passed by our hotel again and I went to ask the reception for directions to a particular place in the area (not a business, just a location). In response I was asked me for my room number. So, if I'm not staying here you're not gonna tell me?

There were some minor issues in the room (which we should have mentioned to reception but didn't because of our previous encounters), like a blocked drain in the shower.

I guess we came at a wrong moment to the wrong place. We were exhausted and were expecting to arrive in a comfortable hotel where we can just get into the room, take a shower, maybe sleep for a while and then see what's next. My liking of the place got a big hit from the start and despite the nice environment, good location and everything, it never really recovered.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank StevenJ944
Richard H, Owner at Rambutan Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Firstly I would like to apologize for your bad experience when checking in. I have talked to my reception staff about this and the importance of making a guest feel welcome right from the start. First impressions are so important. Am glad you seemed to enjoy most other aspects of our place and hopefully you give us a second chance and come back again to a more friendly welcoming.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I'd never been to the Lovina side of the island before, but it was well worth it , despite the three hour drive from the airport (which was lovely, I had booked a driver from the hotel and we stopped a few times on the way to see the temple at Lake Bratan and Git Git waterfall) The Rambutan is set in beautiful garden grounds and I arrived to a feel of the old Bali style and welcome. I only stayed one night and took a basic room, which was more than adequate for my needs, clean and simple. Bed was fine, all very comfortable. I peeked in one of the villas and would certainly take a better room if I was with someone, They have a range of different rooms for different budgets. Very quiet , just geckos and Indian music in the restaurant.. The pools are lovely and after my early morning dolphin trip that the hotel organizes, (out on a narrowboat at 6 am and yes, we saw them!) I had a really nice breakfast by the pool (choice of a few dishes , Western & Asian) and swam in the sun, followed by an excellent massage in the mystical spa.. loved it! And very reasonable. I would definitely come to stay again and have time to explore more of the northern coast and go snorkeling. It is a much more simple life here away from all the hustle of the south. Have to say, the only thing I didn't like was my supper, which was.. hmm , not the best. and please, please, get some decent tonic water! )) The wifi does only really work in the restaurant, well, what can I say. Richard and Tini were really nice people and I felt very comfortable.. will definitely go back!

Room Tip: If you are of simple needs and plan to be out a lot, take a simple room.. if you want to spend time...