“The view is awesome”

Amatoa Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bira
“The view is awesome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Been there for breakfast n evening coffee...The view is awesome...and very kindly staff...i like this place, they keep all the area also clean...If you have enough budget, i recommended you to stay here

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I visited Amatoa to grab some meal for lunch with my husband & sister. When we were there, all of their guests were island-hopping so no guests were around but us (and later, there was a beautiful woman, I assumed Spanish, came to have lunch too). It is a very nice place, even the best resort in Bira, based on its architecture and surrounding. A thing that bothered us at that time was there were so many people suddenly coming into the resort just to take pictures and wandering around the resort, freely. I mean, this could be an issue for their safety. The staffs were too busy to cook our meals and I didn't see any security staff around to assist those visitors. I think Amatoa needs to consider to let visitor without proper intentions in. Other than that, me and hubby would really love to stay at this hotel for our next trip to Bira. The room rate is reasonable; they even have a 6persons capacity room for only below IDR3million/night. And, the food was great, even better than other meals served in some other hotels I've tasted.
Overall, Amatoa is a nice place to stay in Bira, but still, I agree with other testimonials written here: it could be a lot better :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KaniaRaras
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

When we arrived there some other guesses stayed in the hotel then a day after we were the only visitors so it was very quiet. We stayed in this beautiful hotel for 3 nights and were disappointed with the quality of service with that high price they demanded. The architecture and design of this hotel is great reminding me to Park Guell in Barcelona, maybe the owner (whom I heard is a Spanish) wanted to bring the beauty of Catalan architecture to this place, it works well and I love it so much, I like our boat shape bed and the mosquito net. I love the view of blue and greenish sea color stands in front of our room in the morning. I like to watch the stars in front of our room while listening to sea breeze in the night

However, there are some improvements can be made for this hotel:
1. Improve cleanliness of the room with sufficient amenities, one of bathroom sink didn't work
and the water was stuck after we used the sink for washing face or brushing teeth for
example
2. Improve the lighting in the room, we stayed in room no.2 and it was too dark, my boyfriend
said the room is sad especially in the night and I fully agree with him
3. Provide the remote control for the AC in each room so we can adjust and turn it off when we
don't use it (it saves energy and electricity bill by the way)
4. Clean up the swimming pool regularly, it was too dirty and we didn't want to get skin problem
swimming in uncleaned pool so we skipped swimming there, we would love to do it actually
5. Improve the quality and taste of food, breakfast and the food we ordered for dinner
were not so delicious, I think the local ladies who are employed in this hotel can be trained
with better cooking skills. They are nice and helpful girls, I like them but they have very
minimum skills to run and serve the guest.
6. Provide sufficient lighting on the pathway to the hotel, it was too dark and scary, luckily we
brought a torch so we could use it every time we went out in the night to find dinner to
illuminate the dark road

Room Tip: Room in the corners are more private, less noisy and you got your own sitting area in the night to w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ikacika_a
Surabaya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have booked family room 3 large double-bed for yesterday for about usd250/night. First come, we were amazed the beautiful Bira beach seen by the cliff. Then we were shocked by double booking for our room. We'd tried to call their number for 30 more times before we went to make sure, and even sms them. But no answer until we have arrived to that hotel. The staff is very confused but they had to move the other guests to other hotel nearby and gave us other room with 2 large bed and a single bed. One bed they just put on the floor. We think the rooms and toilet need lots of maintenance. The shower clogged, the rooms, gangway and pool are really dark. We have twice black-out over night and I don't think they have genset. They didn't put enough soap, shampoo and no amenities at all. But the Air Con is good.
The cleanliness is okay, but the have really lack staff for cleaning, cooking and serving guests. The menu is very short. We even had to have dinner outside because they didn't prepared. Choice of breakfast only bread+egg or fried rice+egg only.
Oh one more thing, don't ask anything from the staff!
In short, expensive rate for the room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Bira hotels

Jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We spent three nights at Amatoa. The place is beautiful but needs some real care and attention. We were there during the end of Ramadan, Idul Fitri, holiday. This is the busiest time of the year for Bira and the hotel was full but unprepared - they were under-staffed and under-stocked (out of many of the items on the menu). The 'welcome' was someone who spoke no English summarily dropping our bags in the room. The woman serving did there best but lacked training and dishes came out of the kitchen sporadically. We ordered a seafood dinner in advance that the menu said would include several items and got some not-so-good fish (parrot fish) that normally aren't eaten by Westerners. Compare this to the $3 seafood meal we had at lunch at the island across and 10 minutes away that also was serving lobster. No vegetables, no fruit, no juice and 1/2 the items on a very short menu. Other things that were a bit off included a day when we couldn't use the pool for serveral hours because of chemicals they'd added (the water wasn't very clear anyway), no daily cleaning service in the room, some strange dirty covers on the otherwise beautiful tables, not enough tables for all the guests, and lightbulbs missing or lights broken in several places.

Perhaps most surprising is the two steep stairs or rather more accurately ladders to the water. The hotel is on a cliff and you can access the sea by two ladders. One has three steps missing and cannot be used at all and yet the access is there. I went down, almost missed a step that was missing then got as far as two steps from the bottom where another two consecutive steps are missing. Other steps were ready to break. The other ladder is falling apart as well with 2-3 steps already weakened and the bannister or railing half falling off and no use to support any weight. It is only a matter of time before this ladder is also unusable and as it is it is very unsafe. I see a major accident waiting to happen here.

The place is beautiful, the view and sound of the sea, the rooms, the starry nights all give it incredible potential. Melissa the manager and her staff all mean well but lack understanding of what it takes to run a resort and end up apologizing so frequently for things that are wrong. If they can get the training they need, take the time to do a little maintenance and do a little better organizing the place could be a true gem. I wish them well.

Room Tip: The rooms by the pool have less privacy. Best is probably room 1 and the room past and below the po...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pdanielski
JKT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Amatoa fits my definition of a Resort hotel. It is remote, and has a very good view. It sits on a cliff overlooking an ocean. I enjoyed the pool which is artistically designed. The hotel is quite clean. It is a 10-minute walk from a white sand beach.

My reservation was messed up between the hotel and an on line travel agent. I won't hold it against the hotel.

The cost is on the high-end of the Indonesian standard. However, I would consider coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

we stayed at amatoa resort last week for the weekend getaway at the room number 3, 4, 5. from the beginning until we arrived at amatoa, i always keep in touch with MR DANIEL ( the contact person guy at amatoa resort before, now they changed it to the manager phone number, mellisa ). i always asked and reminded mr daniel MANY TIMES to confirm that we want to go there for DIVING, and he always said that we can booked the diving centre when we arrived at the resort, no need to book anything. and WE TRUST HIM!

so, when we arrived there, i told mr daniel that we want to go to diving centre as he promised, but HE JUST ASKED THE DIVING CENTRE AND UNFORNATELY THE DIVING CENTRE WAS FULLBOOKED! i was so shocked and hopeless, cause mr daniel told me before its so easy to book the diving centre ( and we just knew that there's only one diving centre near from the resort ) the owner diving centre's name is CHRISS. and he told us that his diving centre is fullybooked. Chriss was shocked as well like us cause Daniel didnt tell him that we want to book his diving centre.

But we are soo thankful with Chriss cause his willing to help us without asked us for anything., he just wants to help us, thats it. he called another diving centre which its quite far from amatoa ( but he's willing to guide us with his motorbike to go to that another diving centre ).chriss is our favorite person in tanjung bira!! cause of him, we could go to diving the next day :)

and for the resort itself, i would say.. mr daniel is worthless. he even wants me to go to the parking lot to met him ( not he's going to the customer ). seems that he's lazy to work.

i met melisa, the manager. she's a lovely person. and for the service at amatoa resort is good ( but sometimes it takes a long time to get our breakfast and dinner cause they only have 3 people in the kitchen. but theyre such lovely people even we know it must be tiring to serve many customers in a small team.

the servant is an honest person, her name is LINDA cause when i was bout to pay the bill for the room. i paid extra 1 million rupiah without i noticed. and the girl came back and gave me the extra 1 million!! i still amazed until now :)

Room Tip: The view is awesome from the hotel ( i recommended to stay at the room 3,4,and 5 cause the room is i...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends