“A very nice place”

Ranked #9 of 14 Samal Island B&B and Inns
Davao City, Philippines
“A very nice place”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This resort is very nice especially the pool and the rooms but the staff not so good. I go there by bus the "Island Garden City of Samal" somewhere in Magsaysay Park in Davao City and took me 1 hour trip. Going there once is enough. :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Judax09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Quezon City
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The resort offers accommodation for large groups and it's a good thing. Their rooms are a bit spacious and their private restroom is also large. The beach front is also great as there are many benches. I can also say that the beach is safe. They installed nets around their beach area to warn swimmers that it's the deep part. The swimming pool has a fee of Php100 for adults and Php75 for kids (I am not sure of the rates).

It was a nice and affordable place to stay in. However, just before we checked out, my cousin lost her phone in just a matter of few minutes. She's just a few feet away from the tables and chair and lost the phone. The management didn't do anything to compensate the loss or investigate further on the incident. Oh well.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank HALLYCS
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I booked to stay here based on a blog I read about this resort. I phoned the resort's mobile number obtained from the net and after a few unanswered calls, finally someone picked up the phone. There was only one cottage left, it is non-aircon. Non-aircon is okay so I took it.

My cousin and I arrived at the resort at about 5:00 pm. At the gate the guards let us in after verifying we had bookings. We went straight to the reception to let them know we've arrived. We were not asked for further personal details, no forms to sign, just the name that matched the booking. We were directed straight to our cottage.

The entire place looks great and tidy. The beach looks good, we went for a swim but soon we realized that the beach is not sandy, it is muddy, whitish mud.

The restaurant was clean and spacious, the free-form wooden tables and chairs look really great. There were 4 guests at the restaurant when we arrived for dinner. As guests you would usually sit down and the waiter comes to you. There are people at the counter but nobody bothers so we came to them to put our order in. I asked for the drinks to be served first because I got the feeling that like a few other cafes/restaurants I've been to in the Philippines, the people who work there got no clue what to do in their jobs due to very poor general/personnel management. After a long wait, the main meal was served but there was no sign that our drinks will be served soon. I asked where our drinks are. The reply: Oh, sorry, I'll get it now.

The cottage we had got jalousie windows and 2 electric fans but it felt like there is shortness of oxygen inside the room. I had to open the door a couple of times during the night to let fresh air in. At first I thought it was only me but then my cousin also got up in the middle of the night feeling the same. We tried to open the door to the bathroom to help increase air circulation but the toilet deodorant they used smelt so revolting, we had to close the door again. We went to this resort to relax but we didn't have a comfortable night at all.

In the morning we went to the restaurant again for breakfast . We ordered coffee, bread and fried eggs. We were told they didn't have bread but could get it for us. I again asked for coffee to be served first while they get the bread. It took about 1/2 hour to get the coffee ready. Almost an hour later we saw these 2 people coming back to the restaurant in leisurely pace, one of them carrying a loaf of bread.

It is a real shame. This Fernandez Beach Resort is a great place, whoever the owner is must have done great planning to create this resort. The only thing, they forgot the other important part of runnining a business: GOOD MANAGEMENT.

Here they allow guests to bring their own food to cook. If you just want to go somewhere to relax, eat in a restaurant and to have an easy time, just don't bother coming here.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank me2itravelalot
cebu
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The room we accomodated was ok. The pool was fine.
As for the management,it was terrible! Very poor customer service! It was not what we've expected...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank georgita

Travellers are raving about these Samal Island hotels

Davao City
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I've just been to Fernandez yesterday with my co-workers and I've experienced the worst customer service I've ever had experienced in my entire life. We arrived there at around 9 AM and we're told to wait till 12 pm coz the room we we're booked was still occupied and was just about to checked out at around 11 AM,plus an hour of cleaning time.That was OK with us.We we're billeted at th function hall,told us to just wait till 12 and our room would be ready by then.We've made a follow-up at around 12:30 but where told that the room wasn't yet vacated,told us they would made a follow-up and just told us to wait.At around 1 pm,we made another follow -up.By this time,we went directly to the owner/manager to air our discomfort,and lo and behold!She was so mad at us because we've always pestering them about our delayed accomodation.She told us to choose;either we backed out,bring our stuff and leave or wait till kingdom come for the room to be available.She even told us that they we're previously informed that we are a bunch of snob and airy.!God!No wonder all their workers are so unprofessional and low-life lot,they were trained by no less than the owner with horrible attitude!Instead of apologizing for the much delayed accomodation,the uncomfortable feeling that we've been into by transferring from one function hall to another because it was also booked by someone else's,she has the nerve to be mad!HORRIBLE!HORRIBLE!HORRIBLE!
Beware: I f you're plannning to go there,be ready with loads of patience!My God!I would never recommend this resort to anyone!huh!

• Stayed May 2010
5 Thank freqtraveler81
manila
Reviewed 12 February 2010

This place was huge & awesome! The swimming pool looks nice & tempting and the beach was quite safe for us since they have this fence that limits us not to exceed for maybe it's not safe to go beyond that. The only problem was the mud when you go swim deeper but that's not really a big deal though. We also like the monkeys in the cage and children got amazed!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
cebu
Reviewed 5 May 2008

Been to Fernadez Beach resort in Penaplata last May 1 & I was overwhelmed by their warm reception, cheap & comfy accomodation, newly constructed cottages, creamy white sand & guarded beach. Only 1 hour by bus from Sta Ana Wharf & a 10-minute walk from the highway of Penaplata going to the resort, & at the end of the road, you will find a guard that collects the P20.00 entrance fee per person, not bad huh!!! Compared to other resorts in Samal that collects P75-P100 entrance fee per person. Food & drinks in the resort are cheap & also you can cook there if you want. The cottage for 7 persons, 1 queen bed, 1 matress in the middle of the 2 double decker beds P3,000 with hot & cold shower & a separate cr ensuite. Were happy with our stay in this resort.

5 Thank ernalyn