The Crown Hotel
US$309
US$299
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Tennant Arms Hotel(Kilnsey)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$105
Orbitz.com
Golden Lion Hotel(Horton-in-Ribblesdale)
All reviewslamb henrybad reviewspiesthe ritzwrite a reviewreal firerest stopyorkshire peakscommon senselots of hot waterdouble roomcoal firespent two nightscomfortable roomshis wifegood home cooked foodkeep up the good work
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here for one night on the 8th of September after a day practicing for the 3 peaks, The food was of good quality and plenty of it, after a power nap we sat in the bar till late drinking with the landlord and some of the locals who were all very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sambretta-1
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I read the reviews for this accommodation and read many mixed reviews. From my experience I found the staff every helpful. When I spoke on the phone the gentlemen allowed us to stay for one night instead of two and advised that since we doing the 3 peaks challenge we need to set of at 7am which was great advice. They also had somewhere to store the bags we did not need for walking. They also had a help yourself breakfast since we were leaving so early. The room we were in was nicer that the photos have shown and was lovely and large. I found everyone to be friendly and helpful and upon return asked if we completed the challenge. I would stay there again.

If you are doing the 3 peaks challenge this is a great place to stay as it is a few minutes from the train station and a few minutes from the starting point for the challenge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah N
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Crown for a walking holiday. The room was basic clean and comfortable. The food was home cooked, reasonably priced, delicious, and big portions for the hungry walker. So good that we ate there every night. The owners Tom and Saundra were friendly welcoming and couldn't be more accommodating with great local knowledge. We will certainly be coming again to stay.
Eddie and Karen From Cambridge.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked a table for 8 to enjoy a meal with friends after a days walking. As we approached the Crown it looked inviting and promising, we were all ready for a good meal. We ordered our drinks and sat in the bar area so far so good! Then we were approached by the manager who asked us to move into the dining area bearing in mind we had a booking for half six and it was only six o clock at this point, he told us he had another party booked in at eight o clock so he wanted to get us out of the way! (what would they of done if we had turned up at half six?) once we got into the dining room we were split into two fours that wasn't explained when I rang to book. Anyway we didn't see this as a massive problem as we suggested joining the two tables together, but this was a big NO NO we asked what the problem was apparently it was a space issue however it would have created more space for the staff to get round. We asked, who I think was the manageress/owner Helen I think? and she said the tables couldn't be moved because that's how they were and it was her dining room! We wasn't made to feel welcome at all there just didn't seem to be any interest in taking anything on board. Another strange thing was the use of regimental signs pinned up all over stating do's and don'ts which I thought was a bit strange. we decided to move on to the pub at the other end of the village where we spent over £300 which I am sure would have been welcomed at the Crown. a member of our group explained to the manageress why we were leaving and she still didn't want to try and put things right it seemed the only way is her way. As a rule I don't use trip advisor for checking up places as I prefer to make my own mind up, but on this occasion I think I would of been better of as there is a few comments on here stressing similar points. This lady doesn't seem to receive criticism very well, but I really think she needs to take some on board and start meeting customers expectations (what happened to the customers always right) even though I know sometimes they might not be. Just humour them and maybe the £££s will start filling your till instead of the pub down the road! so much potential as well as the food looked good. never mind we had a great time in the golden lion.....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank 650rich
helen471, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

You were asked to move politely because you were blocking the main pathway where food comes out in the bar, and were shown to your table in the dining room. You then continued to block access in the dining room, as you had booked for 8 but was around 12 of you sat in the pathway again where food was being taken out.. You did ask if you could move your tables together first my husband,,, who said no and explained why and then you asked myself who told you exactly the same. I then heard one of your party muttering to the person next to him that he would be awkward and make sure his chair was pushed right in the way so it made it awkward for anyone to get by, so i politely tapped him on the shoulder and said i wasnt been awkward we knew best how our seating plan worked in our dining room. We then heard some more abusive comments , then you got up and left.
When you approached me i did apologise for you not being told by whoever took the booking that you might not be sat together and for not being told we had another sitting at 8.00pm. You should have been told this. You were not interested, so i asked you if you would like it if i went into your home and started moving your furniture around ,
No one likes to loss any trade nowadays but we dont have to put up with abusive customers.
The people that were sat on the table next to you, actually said they were glad you had left as they could see you were going to be trouble.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Our most expensive stay on the Pennine Way and rooms although comfy and very clean were only basic so perhaps a little overpriced. However very good pub food. I had the veggie option with beetroot, lovely and great breakfast and pack ups too. Busy evening as they had a local 'doo' on and so noisy in to the night. But this is what a local pub/hotel is all about and it was a great atmosphere. Nice to see a room doubled as the Post office in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind words.