“Walking Break” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Crown Hotel
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Walking Break”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We read the various reviews before booking so came very open minded but aware of others experiences both good and bad.
Our findings were as follows;
Lovely friendly welcome by Sandra, Tom and their staff.

The room was very basic and dated but we had expected this and the bathroom 'smelly' which we think was due to the saniflow system, the plastic jug was a thoughtful touch to rinse hair but surely it wouldn't be too much to fit taps with a shower attachment.

Dinner was very tasty and the early breakfast was a nice touch

A basic need for us is to be warm, our early start on the first morning we accepted it was probably too early to put the heating on but were surprised to find our room freezing cold when we returned in the late afternoon and again when we got up the following morning for breakfast.

The hotel charges are not reflected in the facilities provided as for slightly more we had a luxury night in a Boutique hotel in Kirkby Lonsdale

We chose the Crown for its location to walk the 3 peaks but will think again about staying here next time.
We don't think it would take much to turn the Crown into a place people will flood back to, crisp white bed linen , fluffy white towels, a plumbing overhall and a bit of TLC

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Steve B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
kingston upon hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

we were booked to stay here for a family party and i was nervous after reading the reviews on this site and almost canceled, All i can say is im glad that i didnt as the hospitality and friendliness of the staff could not be better. we were in a family room that was very spacious and well furnished. the Food and drink prices were also lower then i had expected (always a bonus) . We did have an issue were my youngest made a small mess on the bath mat however after explaining this to the manager there was no problem

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Flint, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I don’t go to any hotel, restaurant or any other establishment just to find fault and criticise, but if they jump out at you and are repeated by other reviewers management should take notice and address the issues that constantly niggle customers. What I do like to see is management responding to good and bad reviews. Most managers do this far more politely than their reviewers - but wow, prepare to get torn into here if you dare complain!
The main entrance has a ‘trip advisor’ label on it – altered to ‘Dick advisor’ presumably by the staff? There’s ya warning!
This Inn is beautifully situated; see images, in a lovely village
I stayed here one night, and had the last room that could sleep 3, so for the price I paid for one, it would have been superb value had I had a couple of mates with me. Fitted with a shower, wash basin, toiletries, tea, coffee, flat screen TV (no remote). Everything worked as it should do. No room in a wardrobe though unless you emptied the bedding first. It was very clean and comfy (I think I’m doing OK so far? – gulp). Lacked free mains sockets.
There’s a folder with containing resident information er . . . . Hardly. As others say, just a rule book, much in capital letters because we need SHOUTING at. And we’re SHOUTED at with other notices around the premises.
There’s poor mobile reception for some providers here, Vodafone was OK for me. Free Wi-Fi would be really handy and cost barely anything to the owner.
There was an excellent atmosphere in the evening, really busy with pleasant staff and hosts keeping things ticking over. Beer prices just a fraction more than I hoped. I sat with a large party in the evening, we all choses our own meal from the menu and I thought the food was very good. I don’t think it was all homemade but nevertheless, very good.
There is quite a narrow time window for breakfast - as it happened it was OK for me on this occasion but they will sort you out if you need to get away earlier ( not all of us are here to hike). Good choice for breakfast and very well cooked
I’d definitely want to come back, I’d hope there’s just a little tweaking to eliminate the minor niggles.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
wakefield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here for one night on the 8th of September after a day practicing for the 3 peaks, The food was of good quality and plenty of it, after a power nap we sat in the bar till late drinking with the landlord and some of the locals who were all very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sambretta-1
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I read the reviews for this accommodation and read many mixed reviews. From my experience I found the staff every helpful. When I spoke on the phone the gentlemen allowed us to stay for one night instead of two and advised that since we doing the 3 peaks challenge we need to set of at 7am which was great advice. They also had somewhere to store the bags we did not need for walking. They also had a help yourself breakfast since we were leaving so early. The room we were in was nicer that the photos have shown and was lovely and large. I found everyone to be friendly and helpful and upon return asked if we completed the challenge. I would stay there again.

If you are doing the 3 peaks challenge this is a great place to stay as it is a few minutes from the train station and a few minutes from the starting point for the challenge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah N
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Crown for a walking holiday. The room was basic clean and comfortable. The food was home cooked, reasonably priced, delicious, and big portions for the hungry walker. So good that we ate there every night. The owners Tom and Saundra were friendly welcoming and couldn't be more accommodating with great local knowledge. We will certainly be coming again to stay.
Eddie and Karen From Cambridge.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I booked a table for 8 to enjoy a meal with friends after a days walking. As we approached the Crown it looked inviting and promising, we were all ready for a good meal. We ordered our drinks and sat in the bar area so far so good! Then we were approached by the manager who asked us to move into the dining area bearing in mind we had a booking for half six and it was only six o clock at this point, he told us he had another party booked in at eight o clock so he wanted to get us out of the way! (what would they of done if we had turned up at half six?) once we got into the dining room we were split into two fours that wasn't explained when I rang to book. Anyway we didn't see this as a massive problem as we suggested joining the two tables together, but this was a big NO NO we asked what the problem was apparently it was a space issue however it would have created more space for the staff to get round. We asked, who I think was the manageress/owner Helen I think? and she said the tables couldn't be moved because that's how they were and it was her dining room! We wasn't made to feel welcome at all there just didn't seem to be any interest in taking anything on board. Another strange thing was the use of regimental signs pinned up all over stating do's and don'ts which I thought was a bit strange. we decided to move on to the pub at the other end of the village where we spent over £300 which I am sure would have been welcomed at the Crown. a member of our group explained to the manageress why we were leaving and she still didn't want to try and put things right it seemed the only way is her way. As a rule I don't use trip advisor for checking up places as I prefer to make my own mind up, but on this occasion I think I would of been better of as there is a few comments on here stressing similar points. This lady doesn't seem to receive criticism very well, but I really think she needs to take some on board and start meeting customers expectations (what happened to the customers always right) even though I know sometimes they might not be. Just humour them and maybe the £££s will start filling your till instead of the pub down the road! so much potential as well as the food looked good. never mind we had a great time in the golden lion.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank 650rich
helen471, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
You were asked to move politely because you were blocking the main pathway where food comes out in the bar, and were shown to your table in the dining room. You then continued to block access in the dining room, as you had booked for 8 but was around 12 of you sat in the pathway again where food was being taken out.. You did ask if you could move your tables together first my husband,,, who said no and explained why and then you asked myself who told you exactly the same. I then heard one of your party muttering to the person next to him that he would be awkward and make sure his chair was pushed right in the way so it made it awkward for anyone to get by, so i politely tapped him on the shoulder and said i wasnt been awkward we knew best how our seating plan worked in our dining room. We then heard some more abusive comments , then you got up and left.
When you approached me i did apologise for you not being told by whoever took the booking that you might not be sat together and for not being told we had another sitting at 8.00pm. You should have been told this. You were not interested, so i asked you if you would like it if i went into your home and started moving your furniture around ,
No one likes to loss any trade nowadays but we dont have to put up with abusive customers.
The people that were sat on the table next to you, actually said they were glad you had left as they could see you were going to be trouble.

Travellers are raving about these Horton-in-Ribblesdale hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
The Traddock
#3 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
The Royal Oak
The Royal Oak
#15 of 20 in Settle

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!