“3peaks walk”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived Friday at 2.15 and was met by a lovely girl behind the bar. She showed us our room one with double bed and bath and toilet and a twin with a shower. Toilet was communal to be found on first floor. Food on night 1 was 2 lamb Henry a steak ( cooked to perfection) and sausage and mash. Food was well priced and very tasty. Loads of meat on the lamb. We walked the 3 peaks on Saturday and 2 of us bought a packed lunch consisting of sandwich, piece of fruit, kitkat crisps and a drink. In evening we had meat and pot pie chips peas gravy (just what the doc ordered after a long walk). Steak and curry. Curry was a bit dry. Couple who own pub very nice. Accommodation is basic so if you looking for 5 star you won't get. But we were All very happy and very friendly and welcoming. Will definitely return.

Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I've stayed here before and I think it is probably the best option for hikers walking through. I was doing the Pennine way again and found this place friendly enough with good food and beer at a reasonable price. I have stayed in better places and also in worse places - the crown hangs somewhere in the middle. Hearty breakfast served in the morning set me up for a very wet days walking to Hawes. I would return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank walker43
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We read the various reviews before booking so came very open minded but aware of others experiences both good and bad.
Our findings were as follows;
Lovely friendly welcome by Sandra, Tom and their staff.

The room was very basic and dated but we had expected this and the bathroom 'smelly' which we think was due to the saniflow system, the plastic jug was a thoughtful touch to rinse hair but surely it wouldn't be too much to fit taps with a shower attachment.

Dinner was very tasty and the early breakfast was a nice touch

A basic need for us is to be warm, our early start on the first morning we accepted it was probably too early to put the heating on but were surprised to find our room freezing cold when we returned in the late afternoon and again when we got up the following morning for breakfast.

The hotel charges are not reflected in the facilities provided as for slightly more we had a luxury night in a Boutique hotel in Kirkby Lonsdale

We chose the Crown for its location to walk the 3 peaks but will think again about staying here next time.
We don't think it would take much to turn the Crown into a place people will flood back to, crisp white bed linen , fluffy white towels, a plumbing overhall and a bit of TLC

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 20 November 2013

we were booked to stay here for a family party and i was nervous after reading the reviews on this site and almost canceled, All i can say is im glad that i didnt as the hospitality and friendliness of the staff could not be better. we were in a family room that was very spacious and well furnished. the Food and drink prices were also lower then i had expected (always a bonus) . We did have an issue were my youngest made a small mess on the bath mat however after explaining this to the manager there was no problem

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I don’t go to any hotel, restaurant or any other establishment just to find fault and criticise, but if they jump out at you and are repeated by other reviewers management should take notice and address the issues that constantly niggle customers. What I do like to see is management responding to good and bad reviews. Most managers do this far more politely than their reviewers - but wow, prepare to get torn into here if you dare complain!
The main entrance has a ‘trip advisor’ label on it – altered to ‘Dick advisor’ presumably by the staff? There’s ya warning!
This Inn is beautifully situated; see images, in a lovely village
I stayed here one night, and had the last room that could sleep 3, so for the price I paid for one, it would have been superb value had I had a couple of mates with me. Fitted with a shower, wash basin, toiletries, tea, coffee, flat screen TV (no remote). Everything worked as it should do. No room in a wardrobe though unless you emptied the bedding first. It was very clean and comfy (I think I’m doing OK so far? – gulp). Lacked free mains sockets.
There’s a folder with containing resident information er . . . . Hardly. As others say, just a rule book, much in capital letters because we need SHOUTING at. And we’re SHOUTED at with other notices around the premises.
There’s poor mobile reception for some providers here, Vodafone was OK for me. Free Wi-Fi would be really handy and cost barely anything to the owner.
There was an excellent atmosphere in the evening, really busy with pleasant staff and hosts keeping things ticking over. Beer prices just a fraction more than I hoped. I sat with a large party in the evening, we all choses our own meal from the menu and I thought the food was very good. I don’t think it was all homemade but nevertheless, very good.
There is quite a narrow time window for breakfast - as it happened it was OK for me on this occasion but they will sort you out if you need to get away earlier ( not all of us are here to hike). Good choice for breakfast and very well cooked
I’d definitely want to come back, I’d hope there’s just a little tweaking to eliminate the minor niggles.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here for one night on the 8th of September after a day practicing for the 3 peaks, The food was of good quality and plenty of it, after a power nap we sat in the bar till late drinking with the landlord and some of the locals who were all very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sambretta-1
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I read the reviews for this accommodation and read many mixed reviews. From my experience I found the staff every helpful. When I spoke on the phone the gentlemen allowed us to stay for one night instead of two and advised that since we doing the 3 peaks challenge we need to set of at 7am which was great advice. They also had somewhere to store the bags we did not need for walking. They also had a help yourself breakfast since we were leaving so early. The room we were in was nicer that the photos have shown and was lovely and large. I found everyone to be friendly and helpful and upon return asked if we completed the challenge. I would stay there again.

If you are doing the 3 peaks challenge this is a great place to stay as it is a few minutes from the train station and a few minutes from the starting point for the challenge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
The Lion at Settle
#2 of 4 in Settle
The Royal Oak
The Royal Oak
#17 of 22 in Settle

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!