“Enjoyed a good pint at a price I was happy to pay”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I find the negative reviews a little surprising as my experience was pretty good. The gentlemen that welcomed us into the pub actually stopped us from talking off our boots and said he has seen a lot worse inside. Anyhow, the pint was nice and the food was decent. Granted we were famished after 10 hours climbing hills, but even still, I thought it was good. I had the chicken pie with chips while my gf had the steak and mushroom pie with chips. For dessert we got the sticky toffee pudding and the mixed fruit crumble (both with custard). Again, enjoyed them both. Good spot to conclude our walk!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 May 2014

we had just finished 1 of the three peaks and needed a beer, I should have known something was wrong with the pub when I read the many notices around the place I thought making it quite clear walkers were not welcome! as these people will be the pubs core business granted mainly at weekend I felt a little short sighted!
the first issue we dealt with was our dog wanted some water I asked for some to be told "we don't have a bowl" maybe a bit petty but I would have expected one outside! like every other dales pub has.
the next issue was the beer (black sheep) which I felt was off and had a nasty aftertaste I took it back to get a replacement only to have a major inquest as to how good the beer was and my judgement somewhat incorrect I explained that I am a Black sheep share holder so know a bad pint when I taste it they did however replace it and it was better
my experience has this weekend has stopped me and 20 walkers booking in for 2 nights accommodation plus all the drinks and meals we would have spent when we do the three peaks this summer because I know it would be a problem to stay there!!!!
last time I did this walk this pub was buzzing with discos great food and cracking beer

Room Tip: read the notices and stay at The Goldern read the notices and stay at the pub up the roa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kevin H
helen471, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Just because you are a shareholder of Black Sheep doesnt mean to say you know everything about about Black Sheep, which proved to be the case.
You brought your pint back to the bar and said it wasnt right, i looked at it and found it to be clear not cloudy, smelt it, and tasted it and found it to be fine. I poured another one and it tasted fine, i told you that i had served around 20 pints of that before you came in, and no one else had complained. I served you another one and you said that tasted better, even though it had come out of the same barrel, what more could we have done. You thought by telling us you were a black sheep shareholder you knew what you were talking but obviously you didnt. May i just add no one else complained about the Black Sheep that day. We do take complaints about beer seriously as we are a Cask Marque registered pub, and get full marks whenever it has been tested my a member .

As for dogs, it is there ownwers responsibility to look after them not ours , after all you brought them out for the day not us. We have lost count of the number of water bowls we have bought and people gone off with them that is why we no longer provide them. If people bring their own water bowls which alot do we are more than happy to fill them with water for them.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Pleasant and friendly staff, the landlady even entertained our 9 month old for us while we ate our tea. My steak pie and chips were very nice however my partner thought the lasagne was a tad dry but nothing to panic about. Nice draught beers and a nice country pub atmosphere in the bar to sit and enjoy a pint and some food.

The room was clean and tidy and exactly what we expected of a small country pub. No problems with the room at all. Constant hot water supply allowing us to have a bath on the evening.

All in all I am happy with The Crown and would go back. My only negative would be the prices £85 for 1 night was slightly steep and the food and drink were a bit more than I'd usually like to pay. Apart from that all was good and the staff were lovely.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Adam B
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stopped in here for dinner, couldn't get in earlier as had backpack and boots on, apparently a major no-no, which was a bit odd as the Pennine Way goes right past the door. Lots of notices inside listing things you can't do, which wasn't very welcoming. The food service was OK as the food was brought by the one member of staff who felt able to smile. Felt the food was over-priced for what it was. Certainly the worst dinner I had in a week's walking in the Pennines. Heard two other members of staff loudly discussing the merits [or otherwise] of the half-finished drinks left by two recently departed guests, which I thought was unprofessional. We made our excuses and left [the third member of our party didn't even want to eat or drink here and he was actually staying at the hotel itself, which to my mind says a lot].

Room Tip: Find your designated room yourself instead of asking to be shown to it...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andrew S
helen471, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

I think most people nowadays take tripadvisor with a pinch of salt. They realise that some people no longer write honest reviews , thank goodness for that.

We have never turned anyone away with a backpack, as we are only a small pub we ask people to leave them in the porch or in a corner of the bar. Our industry revolves around walkers and most walkers wear boots. We have a sign up asking people to remove muddy footwear before going upstairs , people that go upstairs are residents. Of course people with boots are welcome in our bar, we have one side of the bar for walkers with boots leggings etc, and the other side is for people in their better clothes.

If a member of staff paased comment about some drink that had been left, it was probably out of concern , nothing else.

As for our food all i am going to say is at least our food is homemade, not frozen, from local sourced suppliers, and is priced at the going rate for the area for food of the same standard.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Lovely pub with great staff. The rooms are very old fashioned with miss matching decor. No hair dryer or shelves in bathroom for toothbrushes. Everything is a bit old and tatty. The cleanliness is good though. Unfortunately, as a vegetarian, the menu was very limited. The pub in the same village did a very varied menu and was far better priced. In conclusion, i would say it is fit for purpose when going for a walking trip but don't expect to be "wowed"

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014

On the road down to Malham from Hawes there wasn't much else for lunchtime, so we stopped at The Crown Hotel at Horton-in-Ribblesdale. Initial impressions were of shabby decor & a chilly welcome.

The menu presented sufficient choices, but the results were disappointing at best. The Wenslydale Cheese & chutney sandwiches were probably the highlight. Nice local cheese, though not much of it, and a pleasing chutney, with a decent salad garnish & coleslaw, although the cheap white bread spoiled the effect, and the undercooked chips were distinctly unappetising. The £6.50 price was exorbitant given the content. The fact that the otherwise pleasant waiting staff rather pretentiously called it a "baguette" was laughable.

The tuna mayonnaise sandwich ("baguette" lol) was awful, consisting of more cheap mass produced bread with a minimal tuna content which clearly came from the cheapest of the cheap product, the sort that contains black bits.

The Cumberland sausage ring was pretty good, with decent mash & peas, & lots of gravy. Perhaps the best thing on the menu.

Finally, the pie. Although the pastry was crisp, the contents were dry, with any gravy that might once have been there long since gone overboard if the dried trails down the side of the pie dish were anything to go by.

The management clearly don't like what people have said here, as they've seen fit to cover the "Trip" part of "TripAdvisor" on their door sticker with a white label carrying a rather childish profanity. They'd be better off putting all that effort into improving something small, like sourcing decent bread & pies from one of the several decent local bakers.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived Friday at 2.15 and was met by a lovely girl behind the bar. She showed us our room one with double bed and bath and toilet and a twin with a shower. Toilet was communal to be found on first floor. Food on night 1 was 2 lamb Henry a steak ( cooked to perfection) and sausage and mash. Food was well priced and very tasty. Loads of meat on the lamb. We walked the 3 peaks on Saturday and 2 of us bought a packed lunch consisting of sandwich, piece of fruit, kitkat crisps and a drink. In evening we had meat and pot pie chips peas gravy (just what the doc ordered after a long walk). Steak and curry. Curry was a bit dry. Couple who own pub very nice. Accommodation is basic so if you looking for 5 star you won't get. But we were All very happy and very friendly and welcoming. Will definitely return.

Stayed: April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
The Lion at Settle
#2 of 4 in Settle
The Royal Oak
The Royal Oak
#17 of 22 in Settle

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!