“A fantastic personal B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Willows Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
The Willows Bed & Breakfast
“A fantastic personal B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed here for one night when attending a local wedding. I wish we had been able to stay for longer and enjoy a couple of local walks!

Joh was very accommodating and went out of her way to have us in early so that we had somewhere to get changed, giving us a key to allow us to return after the reception. The room was delightful; the bed is comfortable (especially with the heated blanket) and has everything you would require. The en suite was great.

Breakfast is exceptional - go for the full Yorkshire! I would stay here again very happily, hopefully next time it will be for a couple of nights and we will enjoy the local area a little more.

Note that this is a room within Joh and Steve's home and not a "small hotel". When we booked we were sent a very complex and strangely formatted e-mail which stresses that it is their home and this that and the other which to be honest did put me off a little, and the need to take my shoes off was the first thing I was told on the phone, but I needn't have worried. We didn't feel in the way and very much enjoyed our stay.

Thank you!

Room Tip: We had the room "Pen-y-Garth" which is great and had a fantastic en-suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I did the 3 peaks with my daughter charlotte over the bank holiday weekend. We enjoyed our 2 nights at The Willows and found Joh and Steve very welcoming and helpful. The B and B is spotless and is right next door to the train station. One of the nicest things about it was the closeness to the foot of ingleborough. We did this mountain last so to arrive at the B and B at the end of our long walk was bliss.
Joh seems to get on well with the owners of The Crown pub which is closeby. It is very busy as you can imagine but when you say you are staying at The Willows, they try very hard to get a table for you.
I would love to do the walk again as I didn't complete it in 12 hours. I would definitely stay at The Willows. It really is very clean and welcoming and we met some lovely people during our stay. Thank you

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Stevenage
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed here to climb the three peaks over two days. After booking we were sent a multicoloured, 11 page email which was very repetitive and difficult to follow, however it did contain some extremely helpful information.
As our train arrived one hour before the 5pm book-in time, I asked in advance if we could leave our cases to enable us to go for a walk without dragging our cases around, and I understood we could do this. However, on arrival the hostess (Joh) seemed very harassed to see us stating that our rooms weren’t ready (we hadn’t expected them to be) and seemed reluctant for us to leave our cases and for us to use the toilet! Unfortunately we had not been able to use the toilet on the train and at the time we didn’t know where the public toilets were. Her attitude surprised us and seemed contradictory to some of the reviews on the website and not what you expect after a considerable journey. We were also told several times to leave our walking boots and shoes in the hallway: we knew this already as it is stated at least 3 times in the lengthy email so didn’t feel we needed to be told again on arrival!
We were allowed to leave our cases on the last day beyond the checkout time to go walking and we really appreciated Steve and Joh's flexability with this.
The room we stayed in (Whernside) was spotlessly clean and our bathroom was large with a wonderful bath and shower. The beds were really comfortable. There were many complementary and thoughtful items in both the bedroom and bathroom, which we enjoyed after a day’s walking.
Steve and Joh are very knowledgeable regarding the local area and spent time with us looking at our map and helping us with our route, there was even an offer of collecting us from a village if we had got stuck – amazing hospitality! Steve also spent time letting us know weather updates and train times.
The breakfasts were lovely and Steve’s early start to cook the bacon butties was really appreciated. There was an amazing choice of cereals, yoghurts and jams – a really good start to a day’s walking. The cups of tea/chocolate and great selection of cakes after the days walking were also really appreciated.
This accommodation is lovely, we really enjoyed our stay and recommend it, but ensure you read and inwardly digest the 11 page email and don’t arrive before 5pm!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BikeStevenage
Beverley02, Owner at The Willows Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
I’m sorry you where unhappy with your Initial greeting at our home at 4pm - Which do I apologise for. Yes, I’m only human & was probably did look flustered after Single Handily rushing around trying to get seven beds in three rooms/en-suites ready for guests arrival at our usual check-in time of 5pm. Please believe me it’s no mean feat turning-around three rooms & en-suites after guests check-out 10:30am to be ready by 5pm by myself. This is why we advertise our check-in from only after 5pm.
Also that day, I did had to travel many miles on our 2 hourly train service to the supermarket & back to get provisions for packed lunches. Then had to try to quickly finish rooms before 5pm.
As you knocked at door at 4pm I had only finished washing/sanitising bathroom floors. So too be mindful of guests safety we like these floors to be dry before guests walk on them. This is why we didn’t invite you in to use the bathrooms. You did say in your email you where just dropping bags & going into the village for a walk, where there is a pub & public toilets just 3 minutes away. I also explained in our communications “We are sorry but can’t Welcome guests into any part of our home before check-in from 5pm” because of the above reasons.
I do apologies if I did repeat myself to your daughter about dropping shoes/boots in the porch but you would be surprised how some do still walk into our home still wearing outside shoes/boots or have not to read Confirmation emails requesting this.
Thanks for your comments we have now made the decision we will only provide the minimal information on Confirmation emails - But several past guests have commented that they have found these ‘hits or tips’ of around the area plus info on the pubs limited meal times v.useful. Also advising about ‘clocking-in’ or the 12hr, 3 Peaks Challenge at the Pen-y-Ghent Cafe’s helpful.
Also I’m sorry you you have chosen to mark us down on our ‘location’. Surely with The Willows having magnificent views over to Pen-y-Ghent mountain this should of been taken in to consideration? Also being right in the heart of Horton village & just three minutes both from our local station & lovely village pub & the Pen-y-Ghent Cafe. What better location could you have?
Also you have marked us down on ‘value’ & ’service’ - considering we are not the most expensive in the village, but do offer all many Complementary/free Services. Plus each of our rooms has its own luxury bathroom facilities & fresh white towels.
We also we offered you: ( Complementary to all guests) Several various ’flavours’ of Radox bath soak for the large luxury bath you had in your own bathroom with underfloor heating & radiator. Free Shower gels for your large shower. Free Shampoo, Conditioner, Toothpaste, Bath hats, etc etc.
Plus we offer a fantastic selection of many various tea/coffee/chocolates/herbal/de-cafe tea/coffee tray. Plus Individually wrapped biscuits & Chilled Water each day. We offered: Complementary cake & tea/coffee after all your walks. Free Wifi - (that not all accommodation providers have in our tiny village), Beautiful Egyptian cotton sheets, Expensive Memory foam mattresses, Packed lunch service, Clothes Wash & Dry service. Plus you choose to use our Early morning Walkers breakfast’ - from 6AM. - So I think we do deserve more value stars than you have given.
Thank-You your comments, all will all be noted.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I made a telephone booking which was accepted for three nights early in August 2013, I provided debit card details for the full amount due. Two days later I was informed by email that they were "unable to accept my booking" I replied by email requesting an explanation. No reply has been received. No money has been taken from my account but I am unhappy about my details being in the possession of strangers who refuse to reply to a legitimate inquiry. Be warned!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Summonedbyfells
Beverley02, Manager at The Willows Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
The Willows B&B is providing guest accommodation in our Family home. For the Safety & Security for our family & our other guests staying here we do require certain Important contact details to be taken at time of booking. This gentleman was evasive about providing some contact details. He was also rude & derogatory to my partner about our B&B, when we asked to take a non refundable deposit to secure his room. Each room is secured with this deposit in good faith. He inferred we where out to ‘shaft’ guests by taking these deposits - which we are not as you can see by over 100 ‘Excellent’ rated reviews on Trip Adviser. The gentleman’s contact details have been destroyed. We do not hold any other past guests card details in any of our computer files/ledges.
Hawes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

we stayed for two nights , everything was perfect the beds are so comfy and the breakfast is so fresh and lots to choose from , very spotless all around , would recommend it to anyone thanks again. Carol and Ian

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 10Carol
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here since I was doing the 3 Peaks. Joh was so helpful with her local knowledge which she happily shared. Also she was accommodating by letting me keep my packed lunch in their fridge and letting my wife heat the milk for our daughter. The rooms are well maintained and Joh was kind enough to wake up in the morning to fix breakfasts for walkers!

The only negative comment I have is about the prices. I know Willows charge around the same as other B&B's in that area but feel £80/room is slightly on the high-side but guess due to the location of the B&Bs, they have an edge. If I ever do the challenge, I will be staying here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We have just returned from a great 2 night stay at the Willows. We did the 3 Peaks during our stay. Joh sent us lots of helpful information about the walk prior to our stay, she was very caring and knowledgable about the local area.

Joh made us feel most welcome, the rooms are lovely and the breakfast is superb. Its a perfect place to stay when doing the 3 peaks and if we are ever mad enough (which I am sure we are) to do it again we would definitely stay at the Willows again :)

I would highly recommend this lovely Bed & Breakfast and its lovely owners Joh & Steve.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank donfambhx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
New Inn Hotel
#3 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#6 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale

Been to The Willows Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!