“Lacked customer service”

The Crown Hotel
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We had pre booked a table and paid a deposit as requested. We had walked the 3 peaks and were so pleased to finally be able to sit in the pub and have a meal as we were all very tired! Sadly the welcome wasn't warm and there was no table service in the restaurant, we had to go to the bar and queue to order. After a long day walking I think table service with a smile would have been very nice.
The food was freshly cooked and was nice, they brought out an incorrect starter but did bring out the correct one after having to go to the bar to check we had ordered what we said we had ordered! All a bit of a faff.
My advice to the owners is to offer table service, there's enough staff to do this and its quick, easy and helpful to tired customers with achy legs!

helen471, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your meal.
We are not a 5 star restaurant , but a small country pub, we ask all our guests to order their food at the bar it works best for us,, I'm sure if you have managed to do the 3 peaks its not asking to much for you to walk the short distance to the bar to order your food.
It's probably best we aren't a 5 star restaurant as the mud you left behind on the floor from your boots would not have been acceptable . We had to get the brush and shovel,out to clean up before we could allow anyone else in.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I am changing the commencement of my review as 2 of the people I visited with also use TripAdvisor and, as the experience was shared, I thought I might see similar reviews to mine. I did - but not by any in my party.
When we visited the most obvious thing to note was the number of sheets of A4 laminated paper requesting that visitors don't do various things: not in here with boots on; don't put wet clothes by the fire; the toilets are not changing rooms; etc, etc etc. I can understand how this might be but feel it can be dealt with differently.
I could put this aside but what was worse was the cost of lunch. There were 4 of us; we each wanted a sandwich, a soup. We also had 3 and half pints of ale between us. The cost was almost £60! Many places do a 'soup and a sandwich' deal. The Crown does not - to be fair it is not advertised as such (but the price still seems a bit steep.

Something else the Crown did not advertise was the cost of bread. The sandwiches were advertised at around £6.25, all 4 of us chose brown bread. When we got a receipt there were additional charges equal to 4 x £0.01 for brown bread. Honestly!!!! I could not believe that any restaurant would charge customers extra for brown bread (especially if not mentioned in advance). It might not have been so bad if the bread was artisan (it wasn't) - it was two slices of brown bread.

The options in Horton are very few but there are others. Please give this place a miss as I feel they are taking advantage of 3 Peaks walkers.

3  Thank SM66

Your review is very unfair .
First of all, notices need to be displayed because of health and safety to cover ourselves, also we ask politely for people to remove their muddy boots before going upstairs what is wrong with that. Our bathroom facilities are quite small so there isn't any room for people to start changing in them so we ask politely again for people not to use them to change in.
As for your food , prices are displayed and we didn't force you to eat with us. A sandwich priced at £6.50 comes with chips salad and Coleslaw and the price is very fair we get loads of people commenting on what good value they are . When you order a sandwich you have the choice of either brown or white bread first of all we press a button on the till to say your choice of filling and then what bread you require and to be able to do this both white or brown bread come with a charge of 1 p as this is the only way we could do it on the till,it won't allow us to do it without a charge , we then knock the penny off when we take your money so you were not charged extra for brown bread , perhaps this was my fault I should have explained this. Soup is £4.25 another average price.
The prices were there for you to see yet you continued to order then go away and complain ,

Reviewed 17 June 2013

This used to be a great dales pub. Now it's not. 101 'do not' signs, staff that don't know what they sell and a landlord more interested in counting cash than serving customers, literally.

Beer like dishwater so between the Crown and the Golden Lion down the road there isn't much to choose. Both these places seem to not really care too much thinking they have a bit of a captive audience. Try another village, it really couldn't be worse

2  Thank SMWelli

It's obvious no one in the village could please you.
Our beer is certainly not dishwater , perhaps in New Zealand you don't know what proper beer is.
Notices do need to be displayed for different reasons , they don't apply to everyone, asking people to remove their muddy boots before going upstairs is not unfair , you wouldn't do it in your own home so why do it in ous.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

After walking over Ingleborough we thought this looked a good location for lunch - and were greeted by sign after sign saying don't do this and don't do that. Its not what you expect from a country pub

The food was average and overpriced (over £60 for soup and a sandwich and one beer each for four people) - and extra charged for brown bread (!) - the beer was good though

Sadly the unwelcoming atmosphere means we'll never go back

1  Thank Riddler1
helen471, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

It helps if you tell the truth when writing a review.
First of all your bill was not over £60.00 it was in fact £57.00 as I served you myself.
I wasn't unfriendly.
Signs are there for a reason, health and safety, and asking people to remove their muddy boots before going upstairs is not unreasonable.. Also the toilets are small so we ask people not to use them as changing rooms I don't think that's unreasonable either.
Prices are displayed on the menu and we didn't force you to eat with ourselves.
A sandwich is £6.25 - £6.50. This includes a sandwich of your choice chips salad and coleslaw many people have said they are good value. When ordering sandwiches you are asked for your choice of filling and either white or brown bread the choice of bread comes up as being 1 penny as this is the only way the till will accept it, it won't go on the till without a charge, but then we deduct the charge at the end, which I should have probably explained to you. Soup is £4.50 with a roll which is a large bowl. If you thought we were to expensive you could have eaten else where the choice was yours.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

If you took notice of all the negative signs that bombard you from the moment you open the door,inc in the toilet and garden you could never feel welcome in a place with such negativity.
I've never seen anything like it.
However,once you have dared pass thru the door with a little intrepidation, you will find very good pub food, which is the main reason for the visit. All of our 4 meals were very good.
Value was reasonable too.
The real ale was dreadful. The first pint I sent back as it never cleared and tasted off, to be replaced by a different one which was bland and watery.The barman was incredibly slow serving and not very friendly.
So a mixed bag. It just doesn't welcome people in what is supposed to be a hostelry.

1  Thank Badcat110