“basic accommodation”
Review of Golden Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Golden Lion Hotel
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This place accommodates walkers in groups, in the hotel and the camp site, and while you probably get all the basics you need - food, shower, booze, bed - there's not much comfort involved. It's all budget and basic. Dinner was good value.
Breakfast doesnt start until 8.30 - in a walking area??? This is a joke. So you fix your own continental meal, and astonishingly all early-rising customers are given free access to the main kitchen. But given the needs of the clientele a full breakfast service should surely be offered hours earlier! Equally the morning heating comes on after most people have left!
But it's all adequate....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MimiYorkshire

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed with a couple of lads prior to 3 peaks walk. Ideally placed for this walk. Room was so cold when we went in you could see your breath. Figured out how to turn the radiator on but took hours for room to heat up. Towels were damp and has crusted washing powder on them. Room was clean. Food and beer was good. Early breakfast needs more thought...food and kettles should all be placed in breakfast room rather than help yourself in the kitchen..no glasses put out for fruit juice either.

Overall the whole place needs a good tidy out, painting and refresh. Till that happens its just an average place to stay overnight when walking the 3 peaks. Personally id stay further out and get up earlier.

And if the owners read this...please oil the screaching hinges on the door to the rooms...it started screaching at 5.30 and didn't stop till we left at 9!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank northpawblack
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A group of us stayed here for the 3 Peaks in early April - some of us did B&B, some camped and 1 of our team stayed in the bunkhouse. All of us had a great stay! The bedrooms were really comfy, clean and modern (immaculate shower room). My only complaint would be the dreaded waterproof matress cover - I hate them with a passion!! On the first night we ate at the pub at the other end of the village - taking too much notice of other reviews - and we were VERY disappointed. However, on our 2nd night, after completing the 3 Peaks, we dragged ourselves into the front (boot friendly) bar of the Golden Lion and drank and ate there. Food was good, the Black Sheep pints went down a treat and the company was superb - very friendly bar that was conducive to getting everyone chatting. Just remember that you need to remember to book the night before if you'd like a full breakfast - otherwise, if you're up early for walks, it's a DIY contintental breakfast. We'd all stay again - and eat here too!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed in hotel after completing 3 Peaks walk. Arrived about 7.30pm wet and tired. Disorganised check-in and initially informed that food was finished for the evening even though we had offered to make a choice in advance of arrival. Some discussion resulted in a change of mind as long as we ate before 8.30. Food was sketchy, cold chips, half of main course was cold and half piping hot and half of my main course was on another person's plate along with their lasagne? Breakfast was similar, stone cold toast which we could hear them scraping from the kitchen. No choice of items in full breakfast, you were just given a breakfast.

Rooms tired but clean. Sheets as thin as tissue paper and towels smelt of food.

Some of the staff were curmudgeonly, though the young staff were friendly and helpful, particularly the breakfast staff. Dining room clean and bright unlike the rest of the place, dark, tired and slightly sticky!

Room Tip: Go to the other pub and stay there!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank UlverstonSwimmer
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I walked the 3 Peaks last weekend and chose to stay in the Golden Lion Bunk room. What a good choice, it cost only £12 ,clean,super showers and toilets too. The folk staying in the bunk room were really friendly and after a great meal we all got together in front of the fire for a good chin wag and a few beers. I had forgotten milk for my cereal in the morning,essential before I walked, without hesitation upon enquiries a half pint was put aside for me in the morning and no payment would be expected ! Not the smartest chic place in the world, but hey this was the Dales and the folk running and in the Lion were first class, I WILL stay again.

Room Tip: Book early as this is a very busy place for walkers doing the 3 Peaks.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Warm, friendly staff and locals, kept me and my friend entertained for the two evenings we spent in Horton-in-Ribblesdale. My friend and I did not eat/stay in the Golden Lion, but we had a few drinks and enjoyed our time spent in the traditional English pub :-)
The staff did not hesitate when i asked to put my phone on charge using their power, nor did it cost me!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here for two nights in order to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks. The trek was grim due to heavy rain all day. But the hotel was warm, cosy and friendly, with a great bar. And was a pleasure to get back to after the day. My room had a smart en-suit bathroom, and a comfy bed, television, and a great view of Pen-Y-Ghent from my window.
I could'nt recommend the Golden Lion more.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Marton Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Giggleswick
The Whoop Hall
The Whoop Hall
#4 of 4 in Kirkby Lonsdale

Been to Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!