“Golden Lion Bunkhouse”
Review of Golden Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Golden Lion Hotel
Reviewed 25 May 2012

11 of us Stayed here while doing the Yorkshire 3 peaks,The place really could do with some updating,the bunkhouse smelled quite musty.
The bar could be really nice to sit in and have chat about the days walking you have all done but the service was so slow that we all went to the pub at the other end of Horton-by-ribblesdale which was nicer and service was a lot,lot quicker.
Shame really......because it could be a lovely little pub.
Only £12.50pppn for the bunkhouse so can't complain much about the price but thats as far as it goes!!!!

Room Tip: O.K. if you just want somewhere to get your head down
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank aimeeben

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed here for one night whilst cycling in the area, I had booked some weeks previously for B&B accommodation. On arrival the receptionist/barmaid was not particularly welcoming, it didn't help that she could not speak very good English. I was allocated a twin room with en-suite shower & toilet. After turning the radiators on I got the room warmed up. The room was basically tired & needed a lick of paint & a good clean. But for the money I paid (£40) I suppose I could not complain too much! I had an evening meal in the bar where service was slow as it was quite busy. Cooked breakfast next morning was just ok - although I was not given a choice of what I could have cooked - it just arrived (although in fairness I had been asked the previous evening if I wanted vegetarian) & was bacon sausage, beans, fried egg, hash brown & toast. Had I been asked I would have preferred poached eggs on toast. I could only recommend this place if you want somewhere cheap & cheerful with no frills & can put up with not so friendly staff. I should say that they did lock my bike away overnight securely though after I asked them.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NytramEssex
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This place accommodates walkers in groups, in the hotel and the camp site, and while you probably get all the basics you need - food, shower, booze, bed - there's not much comfort involved. It's all budget and basic. Dinner was good value.
Breakfast doesnt start until 8.30 - in a walking area??? This is a joke. So you fix your own continental meal, and astonishingly all early-rising customers are given free access to the main kitchen. But given the needs of the clientele a full breakfast service should surely be offered hours earlier! Equally the morning heating comes on after most people have left!
But it's all adequate....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MimiYorkshire
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed with a couple of lads prior to 3 peaks walk. Ideally placed for this walk. Room was so cold when we went in you could see your breath. Figured out how to turn the radiator on but took hours for room to heat up. Towels were damp and has crusted washing powder on them. Room was clean. Food and beer was good. Early breakfast needs more thought...food and kettles should all be placed in breakfast room rather than help yourself in the kitchen..no glasses put out for fruit juice either.

Overall the whole place needs a good tidy out, painting and refresh. Till that happens its just an average place to stay overnight when walking the 3 peaks. Personally id stay further out and get up earlier.

And if the owners read this...please oil the screaching hinges on the door to the rooms...it started screaching at 5.30 and didn't stop till we left at 9!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank northpawblack
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A group of us stayed here for the 3 Peaks in early April - some of us did B&B, some camped and 1 of our team stayed in the bunkhouse. All of us had a great stay! The bedrooms were really comfy, clean and modern (immaculate shower room). My only complaint would be the dreaded waterproof matress cover - I hate them with a passion!! On the first night we ate at the pub at the other end of the village - taking too much notice of other reviews - and we were VERY disappointed. However, on our 2nd night, after completing the 3 Peaks, we dragged ourselves into the front (boot friendly) bar of the Golden Lion and drank and ate there. Food was good, the Black Sheep pints went down a treat and the company was superb - very friendly bar that was conducive to getting everyone chatting. Just remember that you need to remember to book the night before if you'd like a full breakfast - otherwise, if you're up early for walks, it's a DIY contintental breakfast. We'd all stay again - and eat here too!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed in hotel after completing 3 Peaks walk. Arrived about 7.30pm wet and tired. Disorganised check-in and initially informed that food was finished for the evening even though we had offered to make a choice in advance of arrival. Some discussion resulted in a change of mind as long as we ate before 8.30. Food was sketchy, cold chips, half of main course was cold and half piping hot and half of my main course was on another person's plate along with their lasagne? Breakfast was similar, stone cold toast which we could hear them scraping from the kitchen. No choice of items in full breakfast, you were just given a breakfast.

Rooms tired but clean. Sheets as thin as tissue paper and towels smelt of food.

Some of the staff were curmudgeonly, though the young staff were friendly and helpful, particularly the breakfast staff. Dining room clean and bright unlike the rest of the place, dark, tired and slightly sticky!

Room Tip: Go to the other pub and stay there!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank UlverstonSwimmer
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I walked the 3 Peaks last weekend and chose to stay in the Golden Lion Bunk room. What a good choice, it cost only £12 ,clean,super showers and toilets too. The folk staying in the bunk room were really friendly and after a great meal we all got together in front of the fire for a good chin wag and a few beers. I had forgotten milk for my cereal in the morning,essential before I walked, without hesitation upon enquiries a half pint was put aside for me in the morning and no payment would be expected ! Not the smartest chic place in the world, but hey this was the Dales and the folk running and in the Lion were first class, I WILL stay again.

Room Tip: Book early as this is a very busy place for walkers doing the 3 Peaks.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
The Lion at Settle
#2 of 4 in Settle
The Craven Arms
The Craven Arms
#1 of 1 in Giggleswick

Been to Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!