“Off beer, rude barman”
Review of Golden Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Golden Lion Hotel
England
“Off beer, rude barman”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I bought a pint of Black Sheep and it was off; had a vinegary smell and taste. So I went back to the bar with it. The almost monosyllabic barman said he'd test it and walked through the hole in the wall to the bar in the other room.
I wondered if he was going to get some beer testing device!

He returned with a small glass which presumably had freshly pulled Black Sheep in it and he passed to one of the regulars. Of course - how would I know what the beer is meant to taste like - I was clearly a tourist! The regular said it was fine, but to his credit asked to taste the pint I had - after tasting it he said to the barman to pull me another (I'm not sure how it would have panned out if he had said it was fine... just given me my pint back after this guy had had a swig of it?!). The barman then explained that my pint was the end of the barrel - no apology though.

I asked the barman for a pint of Landlord instead, but he ignored me and came back from the other bar with another pint of black sheep (and still no apology).

Or perhaps he just went round the corner, waited a minute and came back with the same pint. Either way, the beer still tasted off.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank FrozenVeneer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

stayed here on the 14th of july after completing the 3 peaks.Great food,great beer ,great breakfast and comfy rooms just what we needed after 9 hrs on the hills

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank anthony b
Norwich
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

After finishing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks - a yummy steak, 3 lovely black sheep and a typical pub.

No one minds you falling asleep lol

I really like it, the large dining room help the pub cope with the crowds but stay a real pub!

Like it

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matthew B
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I really do have to wonder at some of the people who wrote some of the previous negative reviews. Myself and 8 friends stayed in the bunkhouse on Friday night; completed the Y3P on Saturday and stayed for another night. We paid £12 each; slept soundly both nights; had 18 good meals over the course of the stay and would return in future. Where else would you get a bed; showers; toilets in a secure place for £12?
One complaint; I couldn't see herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically......all I saw from the window was Horton-in-Ribblesdale. This is sarcasm by the way - just for those who can't make the distinction between a bunkhouse and a 5* Crowne Plaza suite.

1 Thank wirraly
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

11 of us Stayed here while doing the Yorkshire 3 peaks,The place really could do with some updating,the bunkhouse smelled quite musty.
The bar could be really nice to sit in and have chat about the days walking you have all done but the service was so slow that we all went to the pub at the other end of Horton-by-ribblesdale which was nicer and service was a lot,lot quicker.
Shame really......because it could be a lovely little pub.
Only £12.50pppn for the bunkhouse so can't complain much about the price but thats as far as it goes!!!!

Room Tip: O.K. if you just want somewhere to get your head down
2 Thank aimeeben

Travellers are raving about these Horton-in-Ribblesdale hotels

Essex
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed here for one night whilst cycling in the area, I had booked some weeks previously for B&B accommodation. On arrival the receptionist/barmaid was not particularly welcoming, it didn't help that she could not speak very good English. I was allocated a twin room with en-suite shower & toilet. After turning the radiators on I got the room warmed up. The room was basically tired & needed a lick of paint & a good clean. But for the money I paid (£40) I suppose I could not complain too much! I had an evening meal in the bar where service was slow as it was quite busy. Cooked breakfast next morning was just ok - although I was not given a choice of what I could have cooked - it just arrived (although in fairness I had been asked the previous evening if I wanted vegetarian) & was bacon sausage, beans, fried egg, hash brown & toast. Had I been asked I would have preferred poached eggs on toast. I could only recommend this place if you want somewhere cheap & cheerful with no frills & can put up with not so friendly staff. I should say that they did lock my bike away overnight securely though after I asked them.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NytramEssex
Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This place accommodates walkers in groups, in the hotel and the camp site, and while you probably get all the basics you need - food, shower, booze, bed - there's not much comfort involved. It's all budget and basic. Dinner was good value.
Breakfast doesnt start until 8.30 - in a walking area??? This is a joke. So you fix your own continental meal, and astonishingly all early-rising customers are given free access to the main kitchen. But given the needs of the clientele a full breakfast service should surely be offered hours earlier! Equally the morning heating comes on after most people have left!
But it's all adequate....

1 Thank MimiYorkshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
New Inn Hotel
#6 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Top Farm Bed & Breakfast
Top Farm Bed & Breakfast
#4 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale

Been to Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!