Golden Lion Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
See available hotels
The Traddock(Austwick)
New Inn Hotel(Clapham)
  • Restaurant
The Craven Arms(Giggleswick)
View Hotel
Eldon Country Hotel(Long Preston)
  • Free Internet
Hipping Hall(Kirkby Lonsdale)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsper headcharity eventsteaktraditional english pubsunday lunchfew beersper nightboth nightsclean toiletsmixed reviewsmain barstaff were really friendlyhome cookedate hereevening meallast weekendcrown inn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I'm reviewing the bunkhouse and facilities, not the B&B. Also this is not a review of the converted bunkhouse situated in a seperate building behind the pub (which is actually a lot nicer than this one and only a couple of quid dearer)
We couldnt book in to that one as they dont take bookings for less than 5 in a group.
Anyway...I dont expect much from a bunkhouse, I know they arent 5* and thats fine, usually if you book into one of these places its because you just want somewhere to sleep and wash.
as this place is obviously used by ramblers, walkers and participants of the Three Peask Challeneg I expect just a little bit more than what is offered..and by that I mean some sort of friendly welcome when you arrive, something which I would expect in any place where I have paid for a service!
We stood in the corridor of the pub for about 5 minutes not knowing who to speak to, we moved in to the back bar room where we stood at the bar for about 10 minutes only to be completely ignored. Its obviously more important for them to serve the locals who arent even paying for drinks before they deal with paying customers!
When we were eventually asked what we wanted the girl who served us couldnt speak english and told us the pub didnt have a bunkhouse...! The guy behind the bar then told us to go and talk to a woman in the corner who, we were told, was about to go home! We had phoned the previous day and told them we wouldnt be arriving until about 11pm and were told it was fine.
The actual bunkhouse was as we expected, nothing special, a bed and a bathroom. I would suggest that they change the shower doors for frosted glass or a full solid door...not completely see through glass, especially since the dorm is mixed sex!
The only other complaints we had were more related to the people sharing the dorm with us, the snoring and rudely being told that everyone wanted to be up early! Well we were up at 4.30 and everyone else was still snoring..
Anyway, I would reccommend that you stay at the other bunkhouse, if only to avoid the rude owners at the Golden Lion, its such a shame because it could be an amazing place to stay and after walking the Three Peaks it could be a friendly welcoming country pub, instead its somewhere to avoid and is obviously only interested in keeping the locals happy, if they dont want the business of walkers dont own a pub in the dales!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank katherinehames
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed here whilst walking the Pennine Way on the 15th May, like others I had trouble booking in to start with and had to walk into the back door to find someone. Once I got to the bunkhouse I found all the lower bunks taken, not ideal but thats no fault of the Golden Lion. There is no drying room and limited electric sockets. Bunkhouse is unisex and found there were two couples staying so had to have single sex visits to the shower and toilet area. On one occasion returning to the main room to find myself facing a lady in her underwear! I returned to the shower room whilst she covered up but something to be aware of.
Evening meal and beer were ok and used the free wifi in the back bar no problem. Was told on arrival that there was no breakfast on offer as noone was staying in the bed and breakfast section, I later happened to find out from one of the other bunk house guests that they had agreed to do breakfast as there were several wanting it. I was able to book a continental breakfast which was less that average in the eating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The bathroom (shower, no bath) was modern and spotlessly clean. The bedroom was cold and the duvet thin and didn't keep me warm. For my early start the next morning I was promised 'continental breakfast' comprising fruit, yoghurt, bread - with toast-making facilities, tea and coffee. At 6am there were a few partly filled 'tupperware'-type containers with remnants of rice crisps, bran flakes, shreddies and other cereals. Minuscule jugs of milk, a couple of sweetened yoghurts in tiny pots, a bowl of shrivelled or tired-looking oranges/satsumas and two golden delicious apples. I had to go back to my room to make a cup of tea. My dog was not allowed in the building and slept in the car.
I wouldn't stay there again unless things improve a lot.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank r0sc0ff
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This place has really gone downhill in the last few years, so has the Crown down the road but loud tv, disinterested bar staff and very average beer don't make it a great night out. Ok if the weather is good enough to sit outside but otherwise I'd give it a miss.

The food was awful, they now have a soulless dining room where they have a carvery, the food is expensive and the portions small, but given the quality of the food that may be a blessing

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SMWelli
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I stayed for one night whilst walking the Pennine Way. When I arrived, I found the place soundly locked up. I wasn't able to ring them due to not having any mobile signal, so I circled the building and found a back door open. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to enter, but wasn't sure what else to do either! I could see that my baggage had been delivered and was sitting just inside the door. I opened the door and called out down the dark empty corridors... "Hello?"... no response. There was a CCTV camera on me, so I figured someone must know I was there! Going back outside I found an intercom button and pressed it. A brief alarm went off (!!!) then a man demanded to know who I was. I said I had a booking there. He came downstairs with a key to my room, carried my luggage upstairs for me, and told me to "Speak to the girl. The bar opens at 5:00pm" regarding breakfast and anything else I might require. This was okay - it's all part of the adventure!

I was given a twin room with shower ensuite which had very outdated and basic decor, but was clean, spacious, and good enough for what I needed it for - a good night's sleep before the next day's walk. When I returned after dinner (which I had eaten at the Crown up the road - quite good food there), the woman at the bar was friendly and welcoming and arranged a time for breakfast. I was able to access wifi in one of the bar rooms which was helpful. However, very unfortunately, I might give this hotel "the worst breakfast on the Pennine Way" award. It was very poor indeed. (Tip: the Pen-y-Ghent Cafe just up the road serves a far superior breakfast and it's not too dear either.)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo