“The Golden Lion - Horton in Ribblesdale”
Review of Golden Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Golden Lion Hotel
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed in the B&B. Very basic facilities and extremely dated. Had no hot water when we arrived, but this was quickly fixed. Only bed sheets and pillowcases had been washed - the cover on the duvet had stains on it. The lady who greeted us was friendly, but we couldn't work out who owned the accomodation. The place as a whole is very run down and disjointed. The breakfast was basic and fry-up greasy. Definitely the worst accommodation that we stayed in on our Pennine Way walk.

Room Tip: It's ok for one night - check for big spiders as we had 2 in our room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma N
There are newer reviews for Golden Lion Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Clean and comfortable rooms, decent showers and overall good value for money in the B&B. Good location for the 3 peaks as it's just across the road from the path to Pen y Gent and just down the road from the cafe where you can check in for your walk. Cereals, fruit + yoghurt was provided for breakfast for those with an early start, and the kitchen was available to make tea, coffee and toast as well. Cooked breakfast wasn't massive, but again with access to cereals, fruit etc was still a good deal. reasonable selection of evening meals.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

1 night camping to carry out a recce for the 3 Yorkshire peaks challenge 2 couples coed at Holme Farm campsite in Horton in Ribblesdale. Perfect location. We tried The Crown pub first but found the beer cloudy so we went to the Golden Lion. The beer was fine so we decided to eat there in the evening. The 2 ladies had a curry each but did say it lacked a naan or chapati to mop up the sauce. The 2 fellas had the carvery which was fine. Plenty of choice for vegetables and 2 types of meat. The prices were much cheaper than than The Crown also. If camping in Horton I would recommend a visit to this pub

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We were a group of 7 walking part of the pennine way. Took 4 rooms at the b&b above the pub. Rooms were small and dated, showers didnt all work properly. In retrospect, we should have taken accomodation in the bunkhouse attached to the pub, which would have been much better value.
Eat dinner in the pub, mediocre fish and chips.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank andrew-jerusalem
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I'm reviewing the bunkhouse and facilities, not the B&B. Also this is not a review of the converted bunkhouse situated in a seperate building behind the pub (which is actually a lot nicer than this one and only a couple of quid dearer)
We couldnt book in to that one as they dont take bookings for less than 5 in a group.
Anyway...I dont expect much from a bunkhouse, I know they arent 5* and thats fine, usually if you book into one of these places its because you just want somewhere to sleep and wash.
as this place is obviously used by ramblers, walkers and participants of the Three Peask Challeneg I expect just a little bit more than what is offered..and by that I mean some sort of friendly welcome when you arrive, something which I would expect in any place where I have paid for a service!
We stood in the corridor of the pub for about 5 minutes not knowing who to speak to, we moved in to the back bar room where we stood at the bar for about 10 minutes only to be completely ignored. Its obviously more important for them to serve the locals who arent even paying for drinks before they deal with paying customers!
When we were eventually asked what we wanted the girl who served us couldnt speak english and told us the pub didnt have a bunkhouse...! The guy behind the bar then told us to go and talk to a woman in the corner who, we were told, was about to go home! We had phoned the previous day and told them we wouldnt be arriving until about 11pm and were told it was fine.
The actual bunkhouse was as we expected, nothing special, a bed and a bathroom. I would suggest that they change the shower doors for frosted glass or a full solid door...not completely see through glass, especially since the dorm is mixed sex!
The only other complaints we had were more related to the people sharing the dorm with us, the snoring and rudely being told that everyone wanted to be up early! Well we were up at 4.30 and everyone else was still snoring..
Anyway, I would reccommend that you stay at the other bunkhouse, if only to avoid the rude owners at the Golden Lion, its such a shame because it could be an amazing place to stay and after walking the Three Peaks it could be a friendly welcoming country pub, instead its somewhere to avoid and is obviously only interested in keeping the locals happy, if they dont want the business of walkers dont own a pub in the dales!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank katherinehames
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed here whilst walking the Pennine Way on the 15th May, like others I had trouble booking in to start with and had to walk into the back door to find someone. Once I got to the bunkhouse I found all the lower bunks taken, not ideal but thats no fault of the Golden Lion. There is no drying room and limited electric sockets. Bunkhouse is unisex and found there were two couples staying so had to have single sex visits to the shower and toilet area. On one occasion returning to the main room to find myself facing a lady in her underwear! I returned to the shower room whilst she covered up but something to be aware of.
Evening meal and beer were ok and used the free wifi in the back bar no problem. Was told on arrival that there was no breakfast on offer as noone was staying in the bed and breakfast section, I later happened to find out from one of the other bunk house guests that they had agreed to do breakfast as there were several wanting it. I was able to book a continental breakfast which was less that average in the eating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The bathroom (shower, no bath) was modern and spotlessly clean. The bedroom was cold and the duvet thin and didn't keep me warm. For my early start the next morning I was promised 'continental breakfast' comprising fruit, yoghurt, bread - with toast-making facilities, tea and coffee. At 6am there were a few partly filled 'tupperware'-type containers with remnants of rice crisps, bran flakes, shreddies and other cereals. Minuscule jugs of milk, a couple of sweetened yoghurts in tiny pots, a bowl of shrivelled or tired-looking oranges/satsumas and two golden delicious apples. I had to go back to my room to make a cup of tea. My dog was not allowed in the building and slept in the car.
I wouldn't stay there again unless things improve a lot.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank r0sc0ff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
The Lion at Settle
#1 of 1 in Giggleswick
Falcon Manor Hotel
Falcon Manor Hotel
#2 of 4 in Settle

Been to Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!