“Enjoyable Visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Castleton Farm Shop and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Laurencekirk
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, View, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Good quality food at a reasonable value, baguettes are large. The menu is varied but not extensive. The staff are friendly and helpful willing to adapt the menu when requested. The food arrives promptly, is well presented and tastes good especially the deserts. Only 2nd class strawberries and raspberries were available to buy on our return trip down the A90 but tasted delicious. Toilets were of a high standard.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank heleneshaw

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Exceptional quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I had driven past here often but never turned off the road before. I wish I had! I arrived shortly after 12 when it was still quite quiet so was shown straight to a table. I had chosen from the main menu before noticing there were specials so changed my order. I started with broccoli and cheese soup which was very nice (and which I later noticed could be bought in the shop to take home). My main course was lasagne and chips, which was a very generous portion. For me the ratio of filling to pasta was a bit heavy on the filling, so that there were some mouthfuls where it was all filling and no pasta, but that's just a personal thing, and the quality and quantity could not be faulted. By then the other tables were filling up so I was glad I had been early. I was also getting full, but I was sitting looking at the cabinet with all the desserts, cakes and traybakes, which must be one of the biggest selections I have ever seen, and everything looked delicious. In the centre was a big bowl of berry trifle, and I just had to have that. It was a delectable mixture of sponge, berries, custard and cream with white chocolate buttons on top. I cannot praise it highly enough and will definitely be going back for more. My bill came to just over £17 which was perfectly acceptable. The staff were friendly and efficient. You pay at the till in the shop, and it struck me that less honest people could just walk out. I hope that doesn't happen. The shop was full of local produce, and you can also order anything from the sweet cabinet as a takeaway. The toilets were very clean, there is an outdoor area which I couldn't enjoy as a torrential shower started when I stepped out. All in all I would recommend this place without reservation.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alastair N
“A fantastic family run Farm Shop and Cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Castleton farm Shop and Cafe is situated just off the north bound A90 between Laurencekirk and Stonehaven. It is a very popular cafe that serves home made food and cakes at very reasonable prices. The ingredients are all locally sourced and produced with the fruit and berries actually coming from the farm.
The food is of a very high standard and the service is very good however the Cafe can be quite noisy when busy due to it's construction.
The Farm Shop is also with a visit as it sells many interesting items.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank DuncanBlack
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food, though it can be a little noisey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nicely located of the A90, the food is good and there is a little area outside for children to play. The location is very pleasant, despite it being close to the A90. My only compaint is that it can become a little noisey at times due to the deisgn of the building, but that is very much a personal thing and I'm sure most people would be fine.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Lost_Somewhere_nice
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Splendid lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

On a friend's recommendation, we stopped at Castleton Farm Shop en-route to Aberdeen - and decided to have lunch - on the basis that the place was full and bustling with families. A brief wait for a table to be cleared and prepared allowed us to check the daily "Specials" menu - a short but wide-ranging choice. Service was swift and attentive - our soft drinks quickly served while we waited for our single course to be freshly cooked to order. The Haddock, salad and chips was superb - and a farmhands size of portion - one course was enough in spite of the delicious looking cakes and sweets on offer in a chiller counter.
The Farm Shop part stocked a wide range of unusual foods and extras - all in all well worth our stop.

• Visited June 2014