“Very beautiful scenery”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$294.22*
and up
Guided Motorcycle Sidecar Tour: Dutch Countryside and Muiderslot Castle from...
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Muiden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
London, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Very beautiful scenery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

If you are in Amsterdam and you want to see the surrounding areas you should give this place a try. I quite close to the main city and won't take you more than half a day to visit it.

The entry tickets costs 13.5 E (or silver ticket from the Holland Pass). In order to get here you can take bus 320 or 322 from Amsterdam (bus ticket - 3.5e/one way).

The castle tour is quite short, but interesting. Behind the castle is a small annex where there is a film playing constantly. The film is very educative and explains how floods, and water in general, influenced the Dutch life. But besides this, the castle itself looks beautiful as well as the lovely city of Muiden.

Visited June 2014

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boom, Belgium
238 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“nice garden and good tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

The garden is quite nice, the tour is given by volunteers meaning one tour is not the same as the next one. I liked the atmosphere and the free parking. The castle is quite far away from other attractions meaning you lose time driving there. I spend about 3 hours in the castle and garden together.

Visited June 2014
Langley City, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Knights and Warships”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

To many decades ago, I went with my parent to 'het Muiderslot'. I remembered that I was impressed, but it was a vague kind of impression, there was nothing special. All the was left is that we had to go out of Amsterdam to some (seemingly) remote place, somewhere at the edge.

Now, no longer a Dutchman, we took out grand-children with us to have a look at this real fairy-tale castle. This is the real thing, with a mote and a draw-bridge. There are walls around it and turrets on the corners. On the one side it looks out over the old 'Zuiderzee' and on the other side there is the land.

In it you'll find furnished rooms and a (torture) cellar. The rooms can only be visited with a guided tour and that is a good thing for they require explanation. Certain sayings originated based on the items one can find there.

The castle also has a very nice garden and on this occasion (in our opinion) it out-shone the Keukenhof.

We drove there using back-roads and that added to the visit. While it did not seem obvious from the sites that I had visited, there was ample parking. The short walk we took in the little village of Muiden was fun also.

1 Thank hcoesel
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“beautiful & well preserved castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Loved the castle. We downloaded the free guide App on our phones, which has a written guide and an audio guide as you go from room to room. The castle and gardens are in great condition considering its age, and the guided tour was worth joining. I'm told the tour is usually done in Dutch, however our group were predominantly foreigners so we had the tour in English. It was a relatively short tour, but I enjoyed it. You can't access these areas on your own anyways, so there's nothing to lose by tagging along. If you don't have the mobile phone app, they have guide cards written in english for you to read.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to cover as much of the castle as we would've liked as we arrived a little late in the day and it had started raining heavily.

There were also activities for kids which were pretty cool. One of the activities was a jousting machine/game (which we admittedly played on). You and your opponent sit on saddles with a jousting pole and a projected jousting game between the two seats. You then have to bounce on the saddle to get your "horse" running, and thrust the jousting pole at your opponent. It was fun, and I'm glad we were the only people in the room at the time. :)

We took guidance from the Muiderslot website on how to get to the castle, and didn't have any problems finding the castle. It was a lovely walk through the quaint village and we would've stopped for a coffee along the canal if we had time!

Would totally recommend a visit for those who like castles.

1 Thank kim_ta22
“A magical day at a small but lovely castle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I planned a day trip to Muiderslot castle yesterday and it was a Fairytale adventure. We went by bus from Amsterdam. We got there by 10am and were the first to arrive. The lady at the ticket counter was friendly. She booked us for a tour but it was only offered in Dutch however they would be handing out English information cards. The tour was just my husband and I so our guide did it in English. WOW! The castle is small but magical with lots to see and do. The staff is polite and knowledgeable. After the tour we stopped for a quick drink at the tavern at the castle then wandered around the grounds on our own. We left the castle as it was starting to fill up with kids. After we left we had a great lunch in town and headed back to Amsterdam via the bus. It was well worth the 27 euro.