The Old Farm House
Ruaha Hilltop Lodge(Ruaha National Park)(Great Value!)
US$224
  • Breakfast included
M.R.Hotel(Iringa)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
Zakinn(Iringa)
  • Restaurant
Saigon Hotel(Iringa)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsoverland tourthe cottagesone nightelectric fencethe main roadmud wallsfresh producehot waterruaha national parkbeautiful placedelicious dinnerfelt very safelong dropcooked to perfectionexcellent campsitedar es salaamthe owner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I came in a bit group right at dusk on a cold, cloudy, and rainy day in the wet season. Richard greeted us and made us feel very welcome despite the atmosphere. I had joined he group for only a few days as I had a chance opportunity to meet up with a good friend who I see rarely because we live on opposite sides of the world. I was not given many details on the safari and the list of things to bring did not include a sleeping bags, so I was not prepared for a cold night in the Tanzanian highlands. Richard, the site manager, was extremely helpful and helped me to equip myself for a warm toasty night, and I could not be more grateful. The food was superb. We had a Tanzanian fare with a spin of some more European-American style additions, and it was absolutely delicious. The meatballs were especially tasty and even the ugali was better than 99% of the other ugali I have eaten here. Many in the group had hot chocolate with amarula in it, which they said was to die for. If you are in the Iringa area, please go on over to The Old Farm house, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We camped at The Old Farm House (Kisolanza) for three nights and didn't want to leave. The camp manager Richard couldn't have been more hospitable, helpful, or welcoming.
A spacious newly thatched palapa with picnic table at the campsite was useful for cooking under cover. The ablutions were spotless and the hot showers were much appreciated, as was the efficient 4-tap area for doing laundry or dishes. Have a drink in the convivial bar and don't miss a dinner in the adjoining restaurant -- the chef is amazing and the portions are plentiful. Nice wine list. Beef Cobbler was scrumptious. Have breakfast on the terrace overlooking a manicured garden with many flowers in bloom. We ordered a fruit plate (passion, papaya, mango, banana, pineapple, pear, grapes, sweet juicy strawberries), and fresh baked bread with homemade jam each morning which was delicious and beautifully presented. I was thrilled to get the strawberries because it has been 11 months since I had one. Ask at reception for a walking map and do the walk to the two lakes and sunset walk (any time of day). Lovely. On one of our walks we bought some mushrooms from old woman and the chef was kind enough to prepare them as a side dish for our dinner that night. The campsite is spread out and there is a separate area for the big overland trucks. Though there were several in camp while we were there, we never heard them but we did enjoy the birdsong from the nearby bushes and trees each morning. Peek in or upgrade to the camping bandas -- they are charming! Can't say enough about The Old farm House and its management. We felt very safe and well cared for during our entire stay.

Teresa O'Kane, Traveling Africa in a Land Rover named Ndoto

Room Tip: Eat at the Mud Room Restaurant. Buy fresh farm veggies at reception!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

If you are even remotely close to this region, you should visit the Old Farm House. The food was some of the best i"ve had in Tanzania. The owners personally greet all the guests and make them feel welcome. The houses are really nicely designed (some feel like hobbit houses!) with individual furniture, great beds and fireplaces.

There are a couple of nice walks to do locally but not a lot of other activities - don't expect an action packed time, but if you are ready to relax and just be in your surroundings with some home comforts, this is the perfect option. Well priced too.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We were recommended this place by a friend and were delighted we were! The grounds are stunning and the staff and owners were so helpful. We had a great experience here and the food was absolutely fantastic. Probably the best we have had in Tanzania. This place is a must if you are near iringa. The owners are so friendly and are really engaged in their work and look after their guests so well. If we come back to Tanzania, we will come back here!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Lovely shady spot for my tent and, although basic, clean comfortable stable accommodation for children and their mum. Cake with our tea a real treat after a hard push from Mozi and hours on the road. Absolutely magical atmosphere created by lamps in the mud ruin restaurant. A delicious three course dinner. Shared ablutions spotless with hot showers. I loved that we had a covered area in which to cook and enjoy our next dinner, out of the rain. Thank you.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family