“Exceptional B&B”

Higher Melcombe Manor
Old Windsor, United Kingdom
“Exceptional B&B”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Lorel gave us a wonderful welcome to her beautiful Manor. She made us feel us at home from the minute we arrived, and this was reinforced by the quality of the room she provided us with. The location is peaceful and idyllic situated in one of the most beautiful parts of Dorset. Breakfast was a feast and we had truly lovely weekend. I would definitely recommend this as one of the best B&Bs we have stayed at.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Our group of 20 spent a weekend at Higher Melcombe Manor in May 2013. We had an excellent evening enjoying wine and dinner in the big banqueting hall. The catering was first rate all weekend, and the hosts were very welcoming - recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mike P
San Jose, California
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I wanted to explore southern England and a friend recommended that I stay at Melcombe Manor and it was a great suggestion. It is a beautiful home in the county with green rolling hills and scenic farmland. When I arrived Lorel and her trusty dog, Alfie were there to greet me. One walks into a beutiful and well decorated foyer that leads to a stunning sitting room with a fireplace. Lorel showed me to my room as I choose the large but cozy Paneled Room that had a very comfortable bed. I quickly changed so I could go and explore the area. Lorel suggested that I take Alfie who made a great companion on my 6-mile circular route through peaceful countryside with a stop at the Fox Inn at Ansty. On my return Lorel had tea set up for me in the living room with a roaring fire.

The next morning Lorel had a full proper breakfast ready for me before I started my day of site seeing. Since I didn’t have a car I used the Dorchester Taxi service operated by Jude and Karen. Jude picked me up promptly at 10:30 and it was a great day of exploring the area of Dorchester and the Athelhampton House and Gardens.

The next day Karen picked me up and we explored the Kingston Lacey House and Gardens. I would recommend exploring both of these properties.

Overall I had a great time at the Higher Melcombe Manor with its charming English style and the hospitality of Lorel. One would have a great time and enjoy staying at this lovely property in Southern England.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Queensland
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed with Lorel, Michael and Alf (the dog) in January, after many weeks of travel and we felt at home as soon as we arrived. Lorel is thoughtful of her guests needs and the rooms cater for a relaxing, peaceful stay. We had snow while there and the huge fire in the main lounge was so lovely to come in to after a long walk with Alf. Food was very good and so generous. Tea was bought to us on rising, followed by a lovely breakfast in the gracious old dining room. We loved it all and were sad to leave. We will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013
Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Wonderful country wedding venue, made perfect by Lorel's equally wonderful warm and welcoming hospitality. She made us feel so much at home in her beautiful house - we felt like much-loved old friends when she and Alfie (the lurcher) greeted us on our arrival. The bedrooms are lovely, the breakfasts great, the gardens are gorgeous - and the sun shone for the wedding! I've run out of superlatives - can't wait to go back for a luxurious B&B break.

Room Tip: I slept in the very pretty Chapel Close Room at the top of the house overlooking the fields - very q...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Janet R
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We've just had a fantastic stay at Melcombe - Lorel was fabulous, solving our last minute crises and wonderfully accommodating. My room was gorgeous, luxurious feel and yet very relaxed. Beautiful views and gardens really well kept, great venue for a country wedding. Looking forward to returning for B and B.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My mother had a wonderful stay. She compared it with six stars hotels. The service was absolutely amazing. Lorel is one of the friendliest person I have come across -- also very caring with great humour. We would actually make a trip half way across the world, as we live in Thailand, to stay at Melcombe Manor! Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Been to Higher Melcombe Manor? Share your experiences!