“Perfect B&B”
Review of St Johns House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lecarrow
St Johns House B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Lecarrow B&B and Inns
dublin
“Perfect B&B”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We have just returned from a brilliant weekend at St. John's house and Rinn Duin. We can only echo previous reviews - we were so well looked after by Liz and Richard from the moment we arrived, and were made to feel very welcome along with our 2 1/2 year old boy. Our room was very comfortable and attractive with everything you could need provided including a jar of homemade biscuits!The garden was peaceful with amazing views onto the lake and the hens were welcome company for our little boy. The walk from the house was beautiful and the history of the peninsula fascinating. And to top it off, breakfast was really excellent - with everything possible homemade and delicious. A really perfect b&b and we will be going back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We were very tempted to keep this secret to ourselves but we just had our best weekend away in years in St John's House on the shores of Lough Ree. The room was beautiful and very comfortable with great views. The food was tasty with homemade bread a highlight and very good coffee! The lakeside table with log stove was a lovely touch overlooking the peaceful lake and a few sheep and cows grazing nearby. With Norman remains and medieaval hazel woods scattered around the house, this is a sure win for romantic retreat or family trips.
Liz and Richard are very welcoming and helpful with tips, picnic rugs, coolers (we had excellent weather!) and everything a traveller might need. We are jealous of everyone who goes there !

Room Tip: The front double room (without the lake view) is 5 star hotel standard. Spacious and very comfortabl...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Niamh B B
stjohnsroscommon, Owner at St Johns House B&B, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Niamh - Thank you for such a kind review. I hope you are coming back soon as I have your blue shoes waiting for you! Very happy to send them on if you need them. It is amazing to realise that you were here at the start of the hot spell and guests this weekend were still able to sit outside until late by the stove - this time last year we were lighting fires inside. Long may this summer continue.
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I spent one night in this charming XIX century farmhouse with eight friends and it has been a most pleasant and relaxing weekend. I've choosen this place thanks to TA reviews and everything was even better than expected:

- The owner, Richard, welcomed us with a cup of tea/coffee and cakes as soon as we arrived and he was always ready to give us recommendations on things to do/places to visit.

- 4 of us went fishing on the shores of Lough Ree, just in front of the house, thanks to the equipment kindly provided by Richard. The other 4 of us did a very nice walk along the Rinn Duin Loop: a beautiful and very easy walk which starts just outside St. John's House. The walk is along a peninsula on the lake , and it has beautiful views over the lake and the countryside: the ruins of an ancient church and a castle, and a blossoming field of bluebells make this walk even more enjoyable.

- The rooms are simply lovely: fresh flowers and splendid views on the lake. Every room is ensuite, with fresh towels and sheets.

- In the evening we enjoyed the fireplace in a super cosy living room and in the morning Richard spoiled us with a gorgeous full Irish breakfast, with fresh local eggs in a most elegant dining room.

In a nutshell: beautiful house, breathless landscape, but especially the discreet and warm welcoming of the host made this weekend unforgettable: the place is definitely worth a second visit!

• Stayed May 2013
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2013

In October 2012 my Mom (60's) and I (20's) stayed here one night. I wish we'd stayed a week! It was heavenly!

Roscommon is not a much touristed part of Ireland, and it was a wonderful treat to find this very peaceful, historic, and beautiful B&B in the middle of the county. After a short drive (40minutes) from Clonmacnoise, we arrived at St. John's, following the GPS to a L in the street and a promising farm Gate.

Once through the gate, we arrived at a gorgeous B&B, located on a peninsula jutting out into Loch Ree. It was a beautiful place to behold at sunset, as we pulled up the drive.

Upon arrival, our hosts greeted us with our first Irish Tea, including small cakes, scones, and a collection of cookies; it was such an unexpected treat! As the night wore on, we were offered the chance of either a walk about the grounds -- and the grounds are quite large, jutting out for several acres along a peninsula into Loch Ree -- or a relaxing sit by a peat fire. What a choice! My mom and I chose the walk about the grounds, and were much pleased with the views at dusk, lots of waterfowl on the lake, old ruins, and cattle in various pastures -- a bucolic paradise!

During our stay, our hosts regaled us with stories of the property, local history, and politics. They proved a veritable encyclopedia for those interested in local goings on -- both past and present. They also have a load of recommendations for how to spend time in the area -- from archeological sites to local restaurants to where to catch the best fish, they can direct you anywhere your interests might take you!

Regarding the rooms, they were clean, fresh, sunlit and welcoming. We had a double room at the back of the house, and were happy to find a large picture window giving us a view of Lough Ree. (There were also ample plugs to charge our electronics and a collection of soaps and shampoos bolster our waning supply.) I was most pleased to find an actual cookie jar, with fresh baked oatmeal biscuits (cookies) along with a fin collection of teas on our tea tray. If formal tea wasn't enough, we could have a 2nd tea in the privacy of our rooms. What a treat!

And then there were the beds -- large, soft (but firm) mattress, with large pillows and electric blankets! They felt luxurious! I slept better there than I do in my own bed at home! It was wonderful!

As if the hosts, tea, rooms, and land were not enough, then there was breakfast! And it was divine. This was the only B&B we stayed at where all the breads were freshly baked -- and there were a whole collection of them. They offered the fullest of full Irish Breakfasts -- with breads, eggs, local meats, black & white pudding, roast tomatoes, and on and on. They served us homemade jams and marmalades, local meats and eggs (collected daily from their chickens), fresh fruit (apples, literally picked that morning from their trees!), and homemade apple juice (also from their own apples). I am a vegetarian (though my mother isn't), and our hosts were very helpful in accommodating my dietary needs.

Our breakfast conversation was shared around a large table, where we were joined by three Frechmen on an extended fishing weekend. (Lough Ree is great for fishing!) They were excited to head out on the water early, having made some arrangements with our hosts to bring bagged lunches on the lough with them.

Overall, this was the best stay we had in Ireland -- a true gem of a place. We couldn't have asked more kinder more welcoming hosts. We hope to return again soon!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
West Kirby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This was an absolute delight. Richard and Liz were perfect hosts in their lovely home. We were warmed by a log stove on arrival and fresh tea and homemade cakes! They provided masses of fascinating locally history (and archaeology!) and guidance on where to eat in the evening, not to mention the great conversation. The room facilities covered every eventuality and the bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast was generous and tasty with great preserves and accompaniments, again in front of a warming hearth. No need for lunch ...
Fuelled, we then explored the Rinn Duin peninsula on a sunny November morning - a walk which I count as one of the most interesting I've taken for a while - aided by the wellingtons loaned by our hosts!!
What a great experience - I hope we can repeat it for more than one night in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms have lovely views. We chose the front room because it had a bath!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Briskeby
Virginia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I'd chosen St. John's House based on other TA reviews, and I couldn't have been more pleased. It was the perfect place to spend 4 nights while touring thru Ireland's Midlands. Hosts Richard and Liz even asked their friends to let Yoda The Yellow Lab stay a few days longer, just for me. Yoda took me on a walking tour through the beautiful ruins of Rinn Duin as well as St. John's Wood. And just to be with such a loving dog, when mine was far far away, was a joy.

It's perfect for getting away, and there's still so much to do right there on the peninsula.

I was the only guest for 3 of my 4 nights there, so I truly felt like family with Liz and Richard. Delicious raspberries from their garden each morning, over muesli and yogurt, next to a peat fire. Or creamy, rich local eggs. A trip out out to an island on Lough Ree. And of course the borrowed wellies to save my own boots from the muck. Plus just talking with them. I regret that I disappointed Richard by not taking his GPS and traipsing around the county to see even more historic sights. But I was just tired of traveling by then. Next time, Richard!

Give yourself a treat and stay for more than 1 night with Liz and Richard.

Room Tip: I think every room would be lovely. I was in the blue room, overlooking Lough Ree, and that was gorg...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Salt Spring Island, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I can endorse everything said in the other reviews. This is a wonderful peaceful location with a beautiful home, warm, thoughtful hosts, delicious food, comfortable rooms, fascinating history and a memorable walk around Rinn Duin peninsula. Not only is it worth a visit, it's worth a long detour to go there and as long a stay as you can manage.

Liz and Richard hosted five of us for three nights earlier this month. We were travelling with my wife's brother and his wife and an Irish friend. Part of the trip was to explore Irish family roots and we had discovered beforehand that my wife's family and Richard's shared common ancestors. Not only that but some of the ancestors were buried in the graveyard behind the house and the house itself had been home to various family members for centuries. Richard was well prepared for us (including catching lake perch for our first meal) with family pedigrees, photo albums and histories, uncovered gravestones, a visit with his cousin (the "family historian"), tour advice, all topped off by his great enthusiasm for exploring our common past. We managed to tire ourselves out each day but had Liz' delicious cooking and their warm hospitality to restore us each evening.

St. John's House is a remarkable place. Liz and Richard made it unforgettable for us.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lecarrow
Hodson Bay Hotel
Abbey Hotel
Abbey Hotel
#1 of 3 in Roscommon
Inny Bay Bed And Breakfast

Been to St Johns House B&B? Share your experiences!