“Great pub,nice food, basic rooms”
Review of Cadgwith Cove Inn

Cadgwith Cove Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Cadgwith B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is a great pub in a great location for walking. The rooms are a bit basic and dated but for the money we paid I thought they were fair value. If you just want somewhere to sleep and shower they are fine, but people who want luxury decor etc should look elsewhere.

The food is good here, with plenty of local seafood, and the bar is cosy with plenty of good beers, which our party sampled in generous quantities.
It's well worth being in the bar on a Friday night when the locals sing sea shanties - definitely a high point. The staff and locals are friendly.

Sunseekers note there is no sandy beach in Cadgwith, but a picturesque rocky/stony cove.

Also, due to the narrow roads and lack of parking in the village itself, you have to leave your car in the car park at the top of the village (£2 per day), up a steepish hill. No problem if you are fit and well but those with mobility issues should be aware.

Its about 45 mins leisurely drive from Truro railway station,where there is a Hertz car rental office.

Room Tip: Some rooms dont have their own bathroom so check when booking if you dont want to use the shared bat...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank zardoz

Reviewed 13 October 2012

We've just returned from a stay with friends at "Smyrna", a wonderful cottage in Cadgwith Cove - I'll review it elsewhere if Tripadvisor lets me.

We've eaten at the Cadgwith Cove in before, heard it was under new management and realised we were taking a chance in eating there this time.

The bottom line is that the food was good - if a little expensive - the wait for food is a little too long - but they do warn you on the menu! and the drinks are extortionate.

Overall, given the idyllic location of the Inn, not enough is done to make it a little special, there's very much an attitude of it being a locals pub - but they'll happily take tourists' money and on our next visit we'll have to think about having a designated driver and looking further afield.

2  Thank Meldrew1950
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I have visited the Cadgwith Cove Inn twice before while on holiday with my husband and we had enjoyed an evening of folk singing and mixing with the locals.So when a friend suggested a visit to Cornwall I thought we could experience an authentic Cornish village and stay at the inn .
What a mistake,The village and the locals are as friendly and helpful as ever, it truly is a wonderful place .Sadly the stay at the Cadgwith was disappointing to say the least.
The room we stayed in was sea facing with a lovely view the bedlinen was fresh and clean, as were the towels.There it ends, one of the cups was chipped the other had not been washed properly.The rooms paint work was chipped,.standard of furniture very shabby We learnt by a note in the room they had only taken over a couple of months previously and apologised that the rooms needed updating .
We went down stairs and ordered a bowel of soup and a drink we waited more than thirty minutes for this although they were not very busy.It was mediocre and accompanied by a tiny doughy bread roll.
The evening meal was not much better and overpriced,so were the drinks.Breakfast was better but served with no smile or conversation .As we left I returned the key and said our goodbyes again no friendly conversation .
This Inn needs a lot of money spent on the rooms but no amount can compensate for lack of friendly service and good food at fair prices for the ability of the chef.
Also the toilet seat needs to be fixed in ladies loos before there is an accident.
It would be a shame to let this lovely village down it deserves better .

1  Thank 870warrior
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Gary and Helen were amazing in organising my daughters pre wedding dinner. They managed to serve 48 people from all over world (Canada, China, New Zealand) with local sourced food. We all had amazing evening. Thank you so much, will certainly be eating there over the winter.

3  Thank KUGGAR
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We had visited a couple of years ago and should have known better than to return when on that occasion they charged us 50p for a tiny jug of extra milk for one of our parties coffee. This time (2012) we found a flustered barmaid who showed us no welcome, high prices-£1.55 for a small tonic water and £7.50 for a crab sandwich. Our groups tuna sandwich (£4.50) came after a long wait with a few chips but with neither cutlery to eat them with nor serviette.
The Cove is a lovely place but take your own packed lunch!

4  Thank Hartland_10
Reviewed 8 October 2012

After reading the rave reviews from other visitors my family and I were looking forward to having a meal here to celebrate my mother in law's birthday. However, we came back with mixed feelings. The food was slightly overpriced and both my mother in law and myself came home feeling very hungry after the small amount of food served with Danny's medallions of monk and the salmon, although these were tasty. Traditional dishes of fish & chips and pasty and chips had by other members of the family scored better with a decent sized portion. Also, the service was very slow - had to wait over an hour for our meals after being initially told the wait time was 20 minutes. Not a place I would recommend unless standards are improved.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I wanted Cadgwith, I wanted atmosphere and I wanted the freshest of fish. I came, I saw and I filled my boots! A delightful experience in the company, first time around of my better half, brother over from Oz and on the second visit, (2 days later) my sister as well. First night, 27/9/2012, I had the lobster salad to start which was nicely presented and very tasty with just the right amount of seasoning and this was followed by pan-fried John Dory fillets with my beloved samphire. The fish had been caught that day and was cooked to perfection. Two days later, it was lobster all the way with another salad to start and then a half lobster with salad and lemon butter, (requested), that had been caught by Cadgwith's very own Nigel Legg of 'Fisherman's Apprentice' fame and was quite delicious. Very sorry that I won't be back in Cornwall for a little while as the jewel that is Cadgwith has a diamond at its heart in this place!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadgwith
4 mi away
#3 of 38 in Helston
Chyheira
Chyheira
#1 of 3 in Ruan Minor

Been to Cadgwith Cove Inn? Share your experiences!