“Not anywhere near expectations”

New Inn Cerne Abbas
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This beautiful 16th century former coaching inn is an iconic building located in the heart of Cerne Abbas, one of the prettiest villages in England. Recognition in the major guide books has come and The Good Pub Guide awarded us County Dining Pub of the Year. The village is within easy reach of Weymouth, Bridport and Shaftsbury. It is also the perfect stop-off point for those coming to or from Devon and Cornwall. Journey-time by car from London is approximately 2½ hours and there is a good train service to both the aforementioned county towns where taxi transfers can be arranged.
“Not anywhere near expectations”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Being a chef in an accoladed restaurant in Dorset I have an appreciation of the differences between levels of cooking; however recommended by my own chef to eat at the new inn I travelled down with two visiting friends to eat.

Upon arrival the pub was contemporary and very well recently refurbished, the drinks were excellently kept and excelled as a pub with a lovely atmosphere, albeit with the barman being somewhat distant (despite attempting conversation).

After having an electric candle lit for 'atmosphere' we were brought bread and place settings. The bread along with the food theme of the evening wasn't quite cooked through (with a hollow bakers tap on the bottom) resulting in a 'claggy' consistency.

Starters arrived and although under seasoned were very well presented and beautifully accompanied whilst also being seasonal and local.

However when the 2 portions of pork belly and the portion of turbot were served the disappointment couldn't be hidden despite the wanting for them to be brilliant. The pork belly crackling was the solitary excelling point for the pork dish, with the rest lacking in flavour and being extremely greasy :-(
The turbot as a dish of elements worked wonderfully, however the turbot wasn't cooked and ended up being solid, and dare I say stringy in places, as well as the skin being.....well elastic!

Dessert was offered apologetically in place of my turbot dish however with the table being disappointed we decided to leave.

In all fairness the bar manager was generally very attentive and cost was rectified on the uncooked food however it was very apparent that the emphasis was on serving drinks, with no check back done.

All in all a lovely pub in a lovely location but based on our experience was not worth the money not the 'best pub award' accolade.

A real shame.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Recommended.”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We visited on a quiet lunch time, towards the end of the service. We were made very welcome. My husband had the belly pork and said it was the best he,d ever had .I had scampi. We were advised there would be a delay of 20 mins for the pork and offered bread whilst we waited. Free water on the table. The scampi was overlooked - possibly because it had waited for the belly pork, a shame, and a basic error, so my meal was average. The high marking is for the exceptional belly pork, magnificent cheese board and impeccable service. We,ll definitely visit again and hope my scampi,s right next time :)

• Visited April 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Real asset to a pretty village”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Excellent family lunch on a sunny day at a much improved village inn.
This is an inn that we have revisited a number of times over a number of years and this time we were really impressed by all the improvements that the landlord of the last 5/6 years has now completed. Overhauling both the inside and outside areas of the Inn there is now a very welcoming and comfortable venue. We chose to eat in the courtyard area - once surronded by very run down storage barns but now these sad old buildings have been lovingly renovated and brought back to life as guest accommodation.
The food was lovely. We had meals of perfect fresh Portland crab, homemade burger and scampi, washed down by Palmers - sounds simple and it was but since everything was freshly prepared using the freshest of ingredients it was a perfect meal. A lesson that other restaurants would do well to remember.

• Visited April 2014
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“Annoyingly very average”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have been to The New Inn many times both before and after the massive refurbishment but despite all the money spent it just does not really impress.
I met a friend there yesterday for a drink and since I had my 14 month old and 11 year old with us
we ordered just something easy and small for them to eat. We were told when we ordered that there would be a delay as they were busy. I was busy talking when we were told this but thought it a bit odd as the place was definitely not busy in fact I was quite surprised as to how quiet it was.
Anyhow we were in no hurry so it did not matter. When the food arrived it was wrong as we had ordered a sausage and mash and a spaghetti bolognaise and got the sausage along with a scampi and chips so very politely pointed this out and were told well the scampi is cooked now so we may as well have it for free none of us really wanted it but our friend picked at it since it was a freebie. Having waited 45 minutes for the first meals the forgotten spaghetti bolognaise was bought out within a couple of minutes which I thought odd but was still busy chatting so ignored it. Unbeknown to me the bolognaise sauce was absolutely revolting and left virtually untouched as my 11 year old was too polite to say anything at the time.
We finished our chat and drinks and I went to pay the bill. 2 pints of cider a lime and soda 2 blackcurrant cordials a sausage and mash and a spaghetti bolognaise [ both meals very small childrens portions] £31. Again very stupidly as I was busy and concentrating on the conversation with my friend I did not even query it and even left a tip for the staff.
It was only when I got home that my wife mentioned that something must be wrong with the bill. So despite being assured the scampi was a freebie we had of course been charged for it. Now it was not just a simple staff error as I am certain it was the owner himself who assured me it was a freebie and then gave me my bill and took my money. Also I noticed that although I had 2 pints of exactly the same cider they had been charged at two different prices.
Now without sounding nit picky and I am aware mistakes are only too easy to make when busy these were really very elementary mistakes to make especially by the owner. Doing some reading I find that the owner has a pub C.V that would make most people envious and on their advertising they list all the awards both the pub and himself have won. I will point out at this time that I myself won The Good Pub Guide Licensee of the year award and my pub won more awards than I can remember county dining pub of the year included the same as The New Inn so I am not talking from complete inexperience.
On emailing them with the error I received a really prompt reply and the cheque is in the post for the overcharge which is everything I would expect.
My reason for assessing them as very average is simple. We were told they were busy and they were not [ I call 100 covers busy and they probably did 30] 50% of our order was wrong one of the meals was really horrible [ I quote my 11 year old] drinks prices were different despite the same drink and the bill was completely wrong.
So I am sorry to say an establishment that should know an awful lot better and do an awful lot better it really was very average.

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Best pub lunch ever.”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Just had the most superb mushroom soup and fresh baked rolls at The New Inn. Hot and peppery, with what I think must have been a drizzle of truffle oil. Truly scrum my. And a lovely pint of Palmers Copper bitter too. Sun shining. Happy day.