“Contemporary rustic charm and great food.”

New Inn Cerne Abbas
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This beautiful 16th century former coaching inn is an iconic building located in the heart of Cerne Abbas, one of the prettiest villages in England. Recognition in the major guide books has come and The Good Pub Guide awarded us County Dining Pub of the Year. The village is within easy reach of Weymouth, Bridport and Shaftsbury. It is also the perfect stop-off point for those coming to or from Devon and Cornwall. Journey-time by car from London is approximately 2½ hours and there is a good train service to both the aforementioned county towns where taxi transfers can be arranged.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Lovely contemporary rustic decor, OH and I went for dinner on a Monday night. Wine list decent and we were pleased to order by the 500ml especially as we always want something different. Both had crab to start with, choice of mains easy for me as they had baked globe artichoke on the menu and even though I'm not a veggie I couldn't resist. It was perfectly cooked with a lovely dollop of hollandaise with it. OH had duck which apparently was sliced to perfection! Praise indeed. Portions good and all in all I'd recommend the New Inn.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had lunch here while staying with friends in Weymouth. Can't recommend it enough. The food was exceptional - the potted shrimps were a mix of, it seemed, shrimps and prawns, I will try to emulate them The roast beef, Yorkshires etc - great. We all ate well.

A venue not to be missed.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We arrived between 12.30 and 1pm and the place was deserted, the one member of staff appeared suprised to get people in for lunch on a Wednesday. We order lunch from a fairly small menu and found a table. The decor is quite nice but the tables looked scruffy and unclean.
The soup of the day was average at best, the belly pork was rock hard and obviously reheated, perhaps more than once. the veg fairly bland. The combined salt/pepper grinder did not work as the salt holes were blocked. Pudding was pleasant enough with approx ten mini puddings some of which tasted quite nice. The price of the food was exhorbitant and not value for money. This place was a huge disappointment and did not meet my expectations as I was really looking forward to this meal.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Being a chef in an accoladed restaurant in Dorset I have an appreciation of the differences between levels of cooking; however recommended by my own chef to eat at the new inn I travelled down with two visiting friends to eat.

Upon arrival the pub was contemporary and very well recently refurbished, the drinks were excellently kept and excelled as a pub with a lovely atmosphere, albeit with the barman being somewhat distant (despite attempting conversation).

After having an electric candle lit for 'atmosphere' we were brought bread and place settings. The bread along with the food theme of the evening wasn't quite cooked through (with a hollow bakers tap on the bottom) resulting in a 'claggy' consistency.

Starters arrived and although under seasoned were very well presented and beautifully accompanied whilst also being seasonal and local.

However when the 2 portions of pork belly and the portion of turbot were served the disappointment couldn't be hidden despite the wanting for them to be brilliant. The pork belly crackling was the solitary excelling point for the pork dish, with the rest lacking in flavour and being extremely greasy :-(
The turbot as a dish of elements worked wonderfully, however the turbot wasn't cooked and ended up being solid, and dare I say stringy in places, as well as the skin being.....well elastic!

Dessert was offered apologetically in place of my turbot dish however with the table being disappointed we decided to leave.

In all fairness the bar manager was generally very attentive and cost was rectified on the uncooked food however it was very apparent that the emphasis was on serving drinks, with no check back done.

All in all a lovely pub in a lovely location but based on our experience was not worth the money not the 'best pub award' accolade.

A real shame.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We visited on a quiet lunch time, towards the end of the service. We were made very welcome. My husband had the belly pork and said it was the best he,d ever had .I had scampi. We were advised there would be a delay of 20 mins for the pork and offered bread whilst we waited. Free water on the table. The scampi was overlooked - possibly because it had waited for the belly pork, a shame, and a basic error, so my meal was average. The high marking is for the exceptional belly pork, magnificent cheese board and impeccable service. We,ll definitely visit again and hope my scampi,s right next time :)