“Disappointing Food at a High Price”

New Inn Cerne Abbas
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This beautiful 16th century former coaching inn is an iconic building located in the heart of Cerne Abbas, one of the prettiest villages in England. Recognition in the major guide books has come and The Good Pub Guide awarded us County Dining Pub of the Year. The village is within easy reach of Weymouth, Bridport and Shaftsbury. It is also the perfect stop-off point for those coming to or from Devon and Cornwall. Journey-time by car from London is approximately 2½ hours and there is a good train service to both the aforementioned county towns where taxi transfers can be arranged.
dorset
“Disappointing Food at a High Price”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

On a beautiful day we decided to try the New Inn for a spot of lunch. We had a wonderful table outside in the courtyard.Certainly the ambiance of the place is very good and the service was both friendly and professional.

However that is where the positive comments must stop. We were told on the telephone when we booked that they were very full. It was surprising that there were probably only half a dozen other diners there all of the lunchtime.Having read about the awards for the food I was not surprised that the menu was quite short (I usually find that a good sign).The starters were ok but generally lacked seasoning. I chose the pork belly that was quite frankly the worst pork belly I have ever tried. It was very dry and looked as if it had been reheated several tomes. My friend had the turbot. All of the ingredients of the dish were cooked well but in our view should not have been on the same plate.

At the high prices they chartged I would have expected much more. Sorry buit we will not be returning.

• Visited June 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Contemporary rustic charm and great food.”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely contemporary rustic decor, OH and I went for dinner on a Monday night. Wine list decent and we were pleased to order by the 500ml especially as we always want something different. Both had crab to start with, choice of mains easy for me as they had baked globe artichoke on the menu and even though I'm not a veggie I couldn't resist. It was perfectly cooked with a lovely dollop of hollandaise with it. OH had duck which apparently was sliced to perfection! Praise indeed. Portions good and all in all I'd recommend the New Inn.

Visited May 2014
London
“Great lunch venue”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had lunch here while staying with friends in Weymouth. Can't recommend it enough. The food was exceptional - the potted shrimps were a mix of, it seemed, shrimps and prawns, I will try to emulate them The roast beef, Yorkshires etc - great. We all ate well.

A venue not to be missed.

• Visited May 2014
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“A huge disappointment”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We arrived between 12.30 and 1pm and the place was deserted, the one member of staff appeared suprised to get people in for lunch on a Wednesday. We order lunch from a fairly small menu and found a table. The decor is quite nice but the tables looked scruffy and unclean.
The soup of the day was average at best, the belly pork was rock hard and obviously reheated, perhaps more than once. the veg fairly bland. The combined salt/pepper grinder did not work as the salt holes were blocked. Pudding was pleasant enough with approx ten mini puddings some of which tasted quite nice. The price of the food was exhorbitant and not value for money. This place was a huge disappointment and did not meet my expectations as I was really looking forward to this meal.

• Visited May 2014
“Not anywhere near expectations”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Being a chef in an accoladed restaurant in Dorset I have an appreciation of the differences between levels of cooking; however recommended by my own chef to eat at the new inn I travelled down with two visiting friends to eat.

Upon arrival the pub was contemporary and very well recently refurbished, the drinks were excellently kept and excelled as a pub with a lovely atmosphere, albeit with the barman being somewhat distant (despite attempting conversation).

After having an electric candle lit for 'atmosphere' we were brought bread and place settings. The bread along with the food theme of the evening wasn't quite cooked through (with a hollow bakers tap on the bottom) resulting in a 'claggy' consistency.

Starters arrived and although under seasoned were very well presented and beautifully accompanied whilst also being seasonal and local.

However when the 2 portions of pork belly and the portion of turbot were served the disappointment couldn't be hidden despite the wanting for them to be brilliant. The pork belly crackling was the solitary excelling point for the pork dish, with the rest lacking in flavour and being extremely greasy :-(
The turbot as a dish of elements worked wonderfully, however the turbot wasn't cooked and ended up being solid, and dare I say stringy in places, as well as the skin being.....well elastic!

Dessert was offered apologetically in place of my turbot dish however with the table being disappointed we decided to leave.

In all fairness the bar manager was generally very attentive and cost was rectified on the uncooked food however it was very apparent that the emphasis was on serving drinks, with no check back done.

All in all a lovely pub in a lovely location but based on our experience was not worth the money not the 'best pub award' accolade.

A real shame.