“Superb Food !!!!!”

Description: Local pub-look at Website
Huddersfield
“Superb Food !!!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just come back from a fantastic week in Cornwall and managed to book a table at The Tolcarne Inn. Heard lots of hood things about this pub and Ben Tunnicliffe the chef. If you like fish and seafood and like something different this is a must place to try. The menu is mainly fish so if you are expecting an extensive pub menu with burgers, chicken,steak etc this place doesn't offer that. The menu is on a blackboard and dishes are made according to what has landed that day as it is next to the fish market. We had the hake, scallops, mackerel, wild sea bass it was superb. The puddings are gorgeous too. Will definetly be paying another visit next year. Met Ben Tunnicliffe at the Newlyn Fish Festival and he is very passionate about what he does.

1 Thank SunshineHuddersfield

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant fresh food”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My partner and I were recommended this restaurant by the owners of the B&B we were staying at for a few days. On entering the tolcarne, the staff were immediately friendly and helpful, most importantly they were knowledgable about the actual food on the menu! The food is so fresh and local that the menu changes daily and you choose your courses from the board up on the wall. For starters my partner had scallops and I had crawfish with avocado and mango. Both dishes were well presented, the scallops were cooked to perfection and both scallops and crawfish were so fresh. Both dishes also came with a more than sufficient level of sauce. For main, I had the Cornish chicken with new potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Again, the chicken was top quality and the vegetables cooked perfectly, portion size I felt was just sufficient and left enough room (just!) for dessert, the sauce which accompanied the dish was particularly flavoursome. My partner had ray wing and gnocchi which was also delicious and the wing was cooked to perfection, again the size of the overall dish was generous with just enough carbs in the form of gnocchi to satisfy without feeling absolutely stuffed! For dessert we shared a white chocolate and pistachio terrine with chocolate and thyme ice cream and fig. I'm not usually a fan of figs but this was absolutely gorgeous, as was the rest of the dish. The chocolate ice cream was tasty and well made as was the terrine. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone considering a place to eat when staying in newlyn or Penzance. Be warned that all tables were booked when we arrived so it might be worth booking a table in advance.

3 Thank Angela T
Watford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“only went for drinks”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Went for drinks as we had been a few years ago. We were planning on booking dinner but didn't feel the atmosphere was as welcoming this time so didn't book.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank suedanski
London, United Kingdom
“Great food....and dog friendly too!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have eaten in The Tolcarne on three occasions now and each time the food has been very good indeed....and our visit on Friday night was no exception! We have friends visiting, with a dog, and it never occurred to me that we could take the dog but after enquiring we were told that they were very dog friendly (although ours was the only one in that night). The atmosphere is that of a old pub, casual and relaxed, but the food is of a standard of the best restaurants. We thought that, given the superb quality of the food, the value was very good and it was also possible to find a decent priced wine (always expensive when eating out). Service, on Friday night, was efficient and friendly. All in all, a great night out...we will be back!

1 Thank Diand11
brighton Uk
“disappointing”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had a couple of hours free before getting the sleeper back to London after flying in from the Scillies .I had heard and read some fantastic reviews of the Tolcarne and decided to taxi there and try it!

The ambiance was friendly and the wine good value. The service was excellent. I was pleased to be accommodated albeit 'squeezed in' as this seems a very busy restaurant and I had not booked
I chose two starters. The first crab and fish cakes were edible but dull and bland.

The cauliflower veloute with scallops and capers should have been interesting Scallops pre frozen (i am sure) and raisons in the veloute UGH! I still have nightmares about the taste memory! What a pity , not a good experience for the end of my trip.

• Visited June 2014