“Part-time Spa and facilities!”

BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Axbridge
Winchester,England.
“Part-time Spa and facilities!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

My partner and I stayed here for my Birthday weekend on Sept 14th.
We were most disappointed to find that the Spa only opened til 8pm on weekend nights!
We had been out for the day on Saturday and checked in around 6.
We planned to go out for dinner then come back for a late night swim and were very disappointed to learn we couldn't use the Hotel's facilities as they closed at 8pm.
This obviously caters more for business travellers in the week as the Spa facilities are open til 10pm on those nights.
How about thinking about your customers who are here for a special weekend away and their needs?!
We had a good clean, spacious room and the only complaint about the room was the ziplock bed.
If you are a couple, the last thing you want is an uncomfortable ridge in the middle where you snuggle up.
The bathroom was nice and clean but the shower head was fixed and too high so it took ages to wash the shampoo out of my hair.
I then had to go down to breakfast with wet hair, as I couldn't find a hairdryer that the website claimed was in the room and phoning Reception was futile as they just weren't answering.
I was finally told after breakfast that there should be a hairdryer in the drawer, but I shouldn't have had to ask and it certainly shouldn't have been in the bottom drawer!
There was a wedding going on but we weren't disturbed by noise, although the window was old and had gaps and let air in.
I wouldn't have wanted to stay any later in the year than September!
The Hotel do need to put a better structure in place for wedding guests.
As we went out for dinner, and later on our return, we had to weave our way through loitering guests from the wedding party around the bar area.
I was impressed however, with the plentiful supply of tea, coffee, Galaxy hot choc and small biscuits with our kettle area.
Breakfast was disappointing, although the serving room was very nice indeed.
We had continental.
Orange juice had ran out. The fresh fruit was tinned and not a huge choice.
The toaster was one of those 2 sided elemental ones so you had a choice of doing it once to get undercooked toast or twice to get blackened!
Cereal was ok and the filter coffee was passable.
The Hotel had beautiful views from outside, but alas, I wouldn't return here due to their negligence of the finer details.

Room Tip: Ask for a non courtyard facing one. We had a high room with gorgeous views but be warned - there is...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear MissGlobeTrotterUK

Thank you for taking some time to review our hotel following your recent visit. I was glad to read that you found your guest room spacious and complimented with all the required facilities and a plentiful supply of in room beverages.

We take all guest feedback very seriously and value all constructive comments in order to help us recognise our guests’ expectations. I can assure you that your comments will certainly be used to help us maintain and improve our standards and services for all future guests to enjoy.

I would however like to take this opportunity to apologise for not exceeding your expectations and assure you that should you return you will see that your comments have been taken into account and addressed where necessary to ensure all our guests an enjoyable stay.

Should you wish to return and take advantage of the beautiful views and scenery please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and we will be only too pleased to make a reservation for you and personally welcome you back again.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel & Spa, we do hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Wallasey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Just had a wonderful 4 days at this hotel. The staff were all very helpful in particular the breakfast staff who also looked very well presented. The hotel was spotlessly clean. It was in a beautiful location with wonderful views. After reading previous reviews about noise from weddings we requested a room away from any potential noise , the room we had was at the rear of the hotel and we were not disturbed by either of the two weddings over our stay.

Room Tip: If you are not bothered about the view the rooms at the rear of the new building are quieter. No lif...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jackie0c
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Jackie0c

Thank you for taking some time to review our hotel following your recent 4 night stay. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your break and that our dedicated team could help make it that little more memorable.

I will be certain to pass on your comments to the management and staff at the hotel and I know they will be pleased to read them.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel & Spa, we do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.
North Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Have just returned from a weekend stay at the Webbington Hotel and Spa.Overall it was ok, the rooms spacious and clean, delicious dinner in the restaurant ( especially the Creme Brulee), nice pool and leisure facilities :)
Now for the not so good aspects of our stay :( we were greeted on arrival by a very efficient but abrupt girl on reception who couldn't be bothered to smile, the noisy pop music blaring out from behind the desk wasn't really in keeping with the hotel either so not very welcolming. The bar staff weren't much better as they couldn't understand what we wanted ( not sure what nationality they were !) The restaurant staff spoke more English and were polite and helpful :)
Overall it was ok ( even the music from the ongoing wedding reception finished dead on midnight ) so that wasn't a major issue.
Would I go back, possibly, I have stayed in worse places :)

• Stayed September 2013
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Lizzie123Devon

Thank you for your recent review. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel and the facilities on offer, especially your dining experience and our leisure club.

However I was a little surprised to read your comments regarding our staff. The dedicated team at the hotel pride themselves on the level of customer service they provide and as you can read from previous reviews many past guests positively comment on the friendliness and helpfulness they receive when staying at our hotel. I can only apologise if this was not the case during your stay and I do hope that you will consider a return visit very soon, I can assure you of a warm and friendly welcome and a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

All guest feedback is taken very seriously as to maintain and improve our standards and services for all guests to enjoy. Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel & Spa and for taking some time to offer your valued comments and feedback.
Coventry, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last weekend for a wedding. It was beautiful! The location over looking the hills was lovely. The overall look of the hotel was nice too. The food was very very nice for the wedding and also the breakfast the next day. The room was very nice,big baths & very comfy beds. Only bad thing I'd say is the staff were like robots & didn't speak to you so were a little rude but they did work hard. I can not believe it was only said a 3* !! I advise everyone visits here :)

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Laura c

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us whilst attending a wedding here at the hotel. I shall be certain to pass on your comments to the dedicated team who I know they will be very pleased to read them.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel & Spa we do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We had originally been booked into the Best Western at Clevedon but they kindly phoned us to warn us that there was a wedding party and there would be some noise. On booking at Webbington we told the member of staff about this and there was no mention of a wedding party there. Imagine our horror on arrival to find that there was indeed a party going on.

We were assured that as we were in the Courtyard we were well away from the function and that there would be no noise. Not so. Our rooms overlooked the area between the hotel and the function room and we were right above the 'back' door into the function room.

There was a constant thump thump noise until 1 a.m. plus rowdy laughter from the wedding guests who were spilling out of the back door. The 'music' finally stopped and then there was a lovely peaceful lull. Not for long. The equipment, tables, chairs etc, then had to be moved and stored all of which kept us awake for a further hour or so.

At something past 5 a.m. an alarm clock went off in the room above and that person could clearly be heard performing their ablutions and walking about. Possibly a member of staff at that early hour.

The food (for dinner) was absolutely delicious and the serving staff were excellent. Some horrible music started to be played above which we could not hear ourselves speak, however the staff turned it off when we asked them.

Breakfast was also excellent.

Yes, the place is a little tatty, the Courtyard is a long way from reception, some of the stairs needed a good vacuuming but this didn't really matter. It was the noise and lack of sleep which ruined it for us. We won't be back.

Oh yes, the views are outstanding.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear 544Freda

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I was very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed both your dinner and breakfast dining experiences during your recent stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the dedicated food and beverage team.

I would however like to apologise that you were not informed of the event taking place in the hotel prior to your arrival, it is our policy to inform all guests of any events at the hotel during their stay and a guest room is allocated away from any possible noise disturbance. After reading your comments I can see that this was certainly not the case with your allocated guest room.

I completely understand the inconvenience caused and I would like to ask that you contact me directly with any additional information and comments so that I can investigate fully and discuss your feedback with the hotel management team. Please contact me via email on - operations@latonaleisuregroup.com and I shall certainly reply to you following my initial investigation.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel and Spa, we would very much like the opportunity to extend our hospitality and welcome you back once again. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Over the past six years my wife and I have become increasingly frequent visitors to this hotel because it has great appeal to us; we are now even breaking our journeys to the west country here simply to enjoy another ‘Webbington experience’!

We have stayed in a variety of rooms both in the main house and in the courtyard block; all those now equipped with the ‘Zip link’ beds afford a great nocturnal experience and those with a view provide an additional bonus. The varying size of rooms adds some welcome variety, but all have been equipped with everything we have needed, and we have found them to be clean and tidy on arrival.

We are in part attracted by the splendid swimming pool that is available to guests, it is of a good size and the water temperature is kept at an agreeable temperature suitable for both swimming and just relaxing in the water.

We always look forward to the breakfast as there is a good and tasty choice to help ourselves to, and the staff have always been very attentive, even when the dining room has been full. On a recent visit we tried the Bar Menu for an evening meal for the first time and we can wholeheartedly recommend the gammon steak and the chicken as great value for money.

We too have been in the hotel when wedding parties have also been there, and find that they add an energy and cultural interest to the atmosphere, and have never impinged on our own enjoyment of the hotel. The only trouble we have experienced was with a group of inebriated golfers who, at 1am, found it necessary to try every lock down the corridor until they found one that their key fitted!

We are of an age where we can plan for these visits in advance and choose to book on the advanced pay B&B rate, and at those prices the value for money is unbeatable. It is true that some of the public areas are worn and look a little tired, rather like a favourite armchair becomes, but this doesn’t spoil our enjoyment of the hotel as a whole. All the staff we have met over the years have been cheerful, helpful and courteous, what more could we ask for?

Webbington, we like you the way you are and are looking forward to our next visit at the beginning of December.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear DandSHampshire

Thank you for taking some time to review our hotel. It is always a pleasure to welcome back any retuning guests and I am delighted that we could help make each of your stays with us comfortable and enjoyable.

I will be certain to pass on your kind comments to the hotels management team and their dedicated staff and I know they will be very pleased to read them.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel and Spa and we do look forward to welcoming you back again in early December. Should you require any information or special requests prior to your arrival please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

I'm a corporate traveller I don't want much, my main driver in booking hotels for work are price, cleanliness, location, and points.

This place is a dump!

The website warns of noise at weekends because of weddings and functions which is fair enough, what they should say is that the noise is the combined vocal talents of all the complainees

1) I booked a double and received a single - all that was available!
2) The room, 121 is the farthest away, smelt of damp and had grasshoppers (mid September?!) and spiders in residence
3) The whole place is grotty and dirty
4) The burger and chips in the bar came without the chips! Wen I complained I was told it was too late as the kitchen had closed, it was 9:35!
5) The receptionist is quite pleasant - the only positive I can summon
6) I couldn't even bring myself to shower in the shower room (no bath) preferring to miss a day than risk catching something!
7) There seems to be a chair shortage in the bar, if there at more than 6 residents then you've had it.
8) I'd this were my own money I would refuse to pay, but it's on expenses and I can't be doing with the hassle, I just want to get out
9) It was only £59 Hmmm perhaps should have smelt a rat.....come to think I it........

Please Please Please do not stay here it's dreadful

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear fayretrade

I would like to offer my response to your recent review, but firstly I would like to address the readers of these unfair and untruthful comments and kindly ask that they read our other recent reviews to gain the full and truthful comments of genuine people who offer constructive comments to help us better improve our services and facilities.

In response to you review I would just like to point out that our hotel offers individually decorated and designed guest rooms that are in keeping with our period property. I understand that many people like the repeated decoration and furnishings of other chain hotels, but here at the BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel & Spa we strive to ensure that we emphasise our traditional feel and take every opportunity to offer the quality and comfort our guests would expect from a country house hotel.

Our guest rooms are thoroughly cleaned each day by the dedicated housekeeping team and following our inspection of your allocated guest room we found no evidence to support your comments. I do however apologise for any confusion over your initial reservation.

The hotel bar, lounge, library and terrace areas offer a variety of seating options and the terrace has fantastic views out over the Somerset Levels. Our leisure club offers a swimming pool, gymnasium, sauna and steam room and our guests positively comment on all aspects of cleanliness throughout the hotel.

We always try to exceed customer expectation but unfortunately on this occasion we could not, however I do feel that this was little to do with our hotel and more the guests’ personal preference of facilities and property type. We are a country house hotel and we embrace that fact and endeavour to supply a quality experience for all our guests.

Should you have brought your concerns to the attention of a member of the management team we would have certainly addressed the situation and rectified any issues, and should any sort of refund been in order we would have completed this without hesitation or ‘hassle’ to which ever company account or credit card offered for payment.

I do however thank you for choosing the Best Western Webbington Hotel and should you require a return visit to the area we would be only too happy to offer our hospitality to you once again and maybe convert you to the charm and character of traditional hotels.

Travellers are raving about these Axbridge hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Axbridge
BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
Days Inn Sedgemoor M5
Days Inn Sedgemoor M5
#1 of 1 in Cheddar

Been to BEST WESTERN Webbington Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!