“A world away”

Hilltop on Tamborine
Ranked #2 of 3 Wongawallan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our visit was a last minute decision and the experience has been a lovely one. Our hosts could not be more engaging or more obliging. The views from the restaurant area are beautiful - with a clear view to the Gold Coast. Although Wongawallan is around 6 kilometres from the Gallery Walk at Tamborine, it is easy to get there and back by car. For those who are looking for a beautiful spot for a wedding or special celebration the small chapel adjacent to the home and restaurant would be a terrific choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at this place in August. We found the couple who runs the place were very friendly and helpful. The place was very clean, the food good and there are nice views towards the Gold Coast from the dining room. We were a bit surprised that, being a B&B, the breakfast was not included. Our room was advertised as having a private balcony with garden views.
In reality it was a shared balcony with mixed views amongst others onto 2 big water tanks. The room did not have A.C. which you would expect when you pay close to $200, as, though technically it was winter, it got quite stuffy at night and we could not find the fan switch.
Overall, a positive experience.

Room Tip: be aware there are no restaurants and facilities in walking distance
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We booked a cabin at Hilltop on Tamborine as we didn't want to pay the extortionate rates that some places on the mountain seem to charge. On arrival we were upgraded to a room in the main house.
Hilltop on Tamborine is essentially a bed and breakfast with the owners' home and an art gallery attached. The room was pleasant, very clean, comfy bed and basic but perfectly adequate bathroom. There are amazing views from the gallery/cafe where we enjoyed a lovely breakfast. The owners are very welcoming and friendly and Evaa cooks a mean breakfast!
If you are looking for somewhere friendly and reasonable to stay, this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank jc3012
Reviewed 1 January 2012

The guest book for Hilltop on Tamborine in packed with glowing comments and I can only say how well deservd they are. In desperate need of a break my wife and I needed somewhere near the Gold Coast that was quiet. I mistakenly thought this was a hotel when I made the reservations online but it didn't matter that we found it was a B&B. The hosts are charming and attentive without beinging intrusive. The breakfast of Eggs Benedict was 5 Star. One day we found ourselves there at about lunchtime and had the best meal of our 10 days away from our home in NSW. We have definitely put Hilltop on Tamborine on our must return list. The guestbook is full of glowing comments about this outstanding B&B, oh and the sweeping views from the coffee shop deck are amazing Just a fabulous place to say for a restful night and to explore Tamborine Mountain while being close to the glitz of the Gold Coast.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank cdcdent
Reviewed 4 March 2010

My partner and I stayed here in February for my birthday which also coincides with Valentine's Day. The website described it as luxury accommodation which I didn't see. Our room was neat and clean but it was like a relocatable container/office fitted out with small bathroom, carpet etc. It was comfortable and I slept really well. The location was really good too. From the balcony of the house itself (where there were other rooms for let) there was beautiful views of the trees, hills etc looking towards the Gold Coast. We sat out there for a glass of wine in the evening. Make sure you take your rid as the midgies are quite bad.

The main thing we were disappointed about was the breakfast. I have done quite a lot of travelling in Europe, Canada and N.Z. and a continental breakfast usually includes fruit juice, good coffee, pastries, a selection of fresh fruit and cereal and toast. At Hilltop the coffee was foul. My latte had thick froth on top which was different. The pastries consisted of croissants still in the foil tray in which they were bought from the supermarket. There was a selection of tiny jams which is usual and some waffles. That was it. I had orange juice which was brought to the table in a bottle which we served ourselves. I had one croissant, tried my second coffee to give them a second chance but decided I couldn't drink it and left, still hungry. There were other breakfast items which could be ordered off the menu but the accommodation included a continental breakfast so we thought that would suffice. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cjk09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wongawallan
The Village B&B
The Village B&B
#1 of 2 in Mudgeeraba
Eagle Heights Mountain Resort
24 mi away
The Mouses House Rainforest Retreat

Been to Hilltop on Tamborine? Share your experiences!