“Very hospitable owner and novel hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Melting Elefante

Melting Elefante
Ranked #1 of 9 Rivas B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Very hospitable owner and novel hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Markus was very nice and his hostel is truly novel. While not being optimally designed for useability staying at the melting elefante is an experience very close to starring in the flintstones. 200 characters

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Granada Department, Nicaragua
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

When my husband and I found the Trip Advisor entry for Melting Elefante, I was intrigued and excited. I thought it looked like a great place to spend our time at the beach. I was terribly disappointed. The architecture is still a novel and cool idea, but it is not what is depicted in the website photos, at least the room in which we stayed which was the "water tower" room.

Prior to our trip, the communication from Marco, the owner, was fantastic. He was very responsive and also very quick to suggest a driver to meet us in Granada and take us to Popoyo.

When we arrived, I was terribly disappointed in the amount of what seemingly was garbage, children's toys and empty boxes strew about and piled up under the stairs to our room. There was a lot of trash in the common area and in the rocks and the landscaping surrounding the main building.

As we entered our room, it was very dark, and very dingy. There was paint peeling from the walls.There one window, but it is blocked by a fan, so really no natural light.There were three fans in the room, and two of them were so caked with dust and who knows what else that it kept braking free from the casing of the fans (one of which is right above the head of the bed) and ended up on your person or the sheets of the bed. We were "greeted" to three cockroaches our last night, and one actually crawled over my arm and woke me up. I realize that this is a third world country and have travelled enough in other parts of the world that I realize that creepy crawly things are inevitable, but NOT in a room that is detached from any cooking areas. We certainly had no food in there.

On first morning Marco asked how the air conditioning was working, and I replied that it seemingly was cooling the room adequately. He then said that the filter had not been cleaned in over a year and that "Maybe they would get around to cleaning it." Not exactly the attitude I would choose if I was running a customer based business.

Because there was no shower in our room, there is however a toilet and sink) we used a shared shower on the premises. I had been concerned about privacy, but at my height of 5'4", it was of no issue.

We will certainly be returning to Popoyo, because the beach is so beautiful, but we assuredly will NOT return to Melting Elefante. There are several nice, brand new, CLEAN options right nearby.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vikngrl
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

This place was so unique, the kids loved the structure and we loved the ocean views. The owners are so sweet and helpful. They accommodated us my moving an extra bed into one of the big rooms so the kids could stay with us. They also made our kids waffles every morning while we were still in bed. PERFECT

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
socal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I stayed in the tower at this place. I have nothing but good things to say. Great spot, next to lots of other hostels and a few restaurants (like everywhere you stay might have to walk a tiny bit for surf, but that's normal and totally doable).
The place is unique, owner is great, ladies working there very sweet.
Rooms are nice, private and very clean.
They have a sushi night and veggies which I had missed at most other places in Nica.

• Stayed March 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I did not sleep here, however, I came here for drinks and dinner a few times while I was in Nicaragua. The food is great. The beachfront view is amazing. The location is great. The people who work there are very friendly. When I was there, every Friday was sushi night and the sushi was yummy! The architecture of the building is amazing down to every last detail. Finally, they have wi-fi you can purchase for use on your own device, and they take credit cards here. I saw one of the rooms, and it is truly awesome, down to every last detail. Very clean and very comfortable looking. I would stay here next time if I return to this part of Nicaragua.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed at the Melting Elefante for a surf trip. The location was perfect for us as it is right on the beach and only a short walk to other restaurants etc. We stayed in one of the 'suites' which were $45 p/n but we were kindly offered a better price as the room we had originally enquired about was taken. The room was big and had some nice extras that you don't normally get like a wardrobe, storage areas and dimmer lights. The room was clean upon arrival but wasn't serviced at all for the 5 days we were there. It would have been nice just to have the rubbish emptied at least every few days, but it's not a massive problem. You can order food from the bar area there. We had a few breakfasts and lunches. The food was pretty good but we kind of felt as though we were inconveniencing the staff when we ordered food, especially when the Marcos wasn't around so we tended to eat out most of the time. There is a good comedor next door and a few cheap places at the end of the street. The only gripe that we had was the TV. We often wanted to sit in the bar area to use the wi-fi but the TV was really loud and the owners had their baby in there so people would be talking loudly over the top of the TV and sometimes it was just wayyyy to overwhelming. A little disappointing because Popoyo is such a chilled out place and this kind of took away from the atmosphere. Overall though, good room, hot shower, beach at your door, you can't ask for much more.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Melting Elefante during a surf trip to the Popoyo area. We immediately fell in love with the design as soon as we saw it while we were walking down the beach one afternoon. The first night we arrived at the "Elephant" it was sushi night (friday nights), super cool crowd and great tunes, convinced us that this was going to be our base for the next couple of weeks.
The staff are amazing, the food was 5 star, and Marcos the owner is the ultimate host! There's a few different room options. We stayed in "The Water Tower room" which was amazing, it has a King sized work bench fitted with super soft Egyptian Cotton Sheets, nice touch.

While we were there, we ended up finishing the last 2 shots of Jack Daniel's, which we later found out was Marcos's personal bottle. It can be a bit tricky to find JD in Nicaragua, so if you're going through Duty Free at the airport, please pick up a bottle and share it with Marcos while watching one of the amazing sunsets...

Room Tip: Water Tower Room is awesome and great value.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivas
Machele's Place
#4 of 5 in Popoyo
Gigante Bay
Gigante Bay
#2 of 6 in Playa Gigante

Been to Melting Elefante? Share your experiences!