“How did I ever miss this one!”
Review of Beamish Park Hotel

Beamish Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marley Hill
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I've visited the Durham area a few times of late and stayed at some good places (but this time they were fully booked) and some that weren't (and I wasn't that desperate to need to go back) and then I chanced on Beamish Park Hotel.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the food as the call of Yo Sushi at the nearby Metro Centre on a "blue Monday" was far too strong but having sampled the delights of a hearty breakfast with smiling service, next time I may just forgo my "treat" to give evening dining here a try.

The arrival was warm and courteous and efficient and when given my keys I was given a key card and a normal key. What's these for I enquired to find out one was for the patio window that allowed me to move my car around to the rear and unpack my car straight into the room. Brilliant for someone who carries so much with him on business trips.

The room was "mammoth" and the bed so comfortable too.

I would thoroughly (and genuinely) recommend this accommodation to anyone visiting the area for one night or for a base to travel around the locality. Oh and yes, I will be returning and keeping my fingers crossed that the evening meal matches the rest of my recent experience.

Room Tip: Try room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter G
SMBP020, Director of Sales at Beamish Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We are absolutely delighted with your comments and happy you found us.

We certainly look forward to your return very soon and eating in our Bistro.

There are newer reviews for Beamish Park Hotel

Reviewed 23 September 2013

A party of 6 of us booked for Sunday lunch for a special family occasion. All of us enjoyed the main course, although the two who had pork felt it was rather on the tough side. The vegetables were plentiful and lovely. However, when it came to choosing a sweet, one member asked for a small or half portion of cheese and biscuits (full portion cost £6 and would be rather too much). This was refused. How mean was that? Rather spoilt the occasion as the other sweets were thoroughly enjoyed. Don't know if we will want to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincere apoIogies for your disappointment on your special occassion. As you are aware this is certainly not our usual standard and the issues have been addressed.

Please contact me direct to make future bookings as we look forward to your return very soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We used 2 interconnecting rooms as were 2 adults traveling with 2 teenage sons. When commented on there being no fridge a small one was bought to our room immediately. One of the toilets became inoperable but the staff were very very sincere in their apologies and did have it adhered to as soon as was practical. The beds were great and the rooms quiet. Our boys made great use of the golf course and range, this is what attracted us to the hotel. The staff were really really pleasant, helping with restaurants, and made a booking for us at an Italian in Sunniside with fantastic food. The bus for Newcastle and the Metrocentre stops right outside and a visit just across the road to the historic railway is really pleasant and a lovely bush walk. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
SMBP020, Director of Sales at Beamish Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

It was good to hear that your request for a fridge was delivered to your room immediately and sincere apologies for the problem with your toilet.

However, it was good to hear that overall you had a great experience and we look forward to welcoming your return soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Wonderful experience. Hotel of high standard, food wonderful. I'd return for sure! Comfortable sleep and a lovely place to stay!

I would not fail to recommend and I am very fussy with high standards!!! Be sure to book, also very close to the Beamish museum, they will also offer you a discount voucher to go there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank YorkshireTinka

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking bthe time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We are absolutely delighted with your comments and happy you had such a wonderful experience staying in our Hotel.

We certainly look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We were holidaying in the area, looked for somewere special for a meal to celebrate my 60th!!
I called in earlier in the day to ask reception if I could look at an evening menu! it was handed to me by a bar staff and I was told I could take it to look at and the hotel number was provided.
We liked the menu so I phone to book a table that evening.
On arrival we were welcomed by the reception staff and told to make our way into the bar, we had a drink and sat down a pleasant young lady brought the menu's to look at, the menu was varied with some special dishes, or you could have cheaper options, I had the Halibut & my husband had the steak which were lovely, served at a nicely set table by the window, we chose a lovely Chilian red, this was at a reasonable price. The sweets are very nice but a little expensive at £6.00 and another tiny grumble the waitress just put the sweet cutlery on the table like school dinners for us to get ourselves.
Overall we enjoyed and would return for a meal. The manager was very attentive also.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
SMBP020, Director of Sales at Beamish Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted will your comments and look forward to your return soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Husband had steak and chips . Great, he said . I had chicken breast , roasted squash , samphire, tomato salsa . Beautifully presented , very tasty . We shared a chocolate raspberry torte and swapped raspberry sorbet for orange ice cream . very nice ! We've been a lot of times over the past 20 odd years and the service has always been pleasant and good. It never seems to be too busy and the bar area is nice .

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pixie056
SMBP020, Director of Sales at Beamish Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted with your comments regarding our food and it is wonderful you continue to return to our Hotel after so many years. A true sign of good food and service.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, and ate in the restaurant both evenings. The hotel is set in a beautiful location and the views from the bar and bistro are truly stunning. The staff were welcoming and friendly, they were also very efficient. Despite being incredibly busy the hotel staff manged to sort out my booking even after I made an initial mistake booking the wrong evenings and at the time I telephoned they were in the middle of a power cut but true to their word they sorted out my mistakes and sent me a confirmation that afternoon. Our room was spotless and comfortable with parking just outside the patio doors. My only critisim being that the outside light stayed on all night which was a little annoying as it seeped in over the curtains.
I was however slightly disappointed with the restaurant and the food. The decor felt dated in fact I felt a little as if I had slipped back into the 70's! I started with smoked salmon with beetroot horseradish and celeriac remoulade expecting a subtle mix of celeriac beetroot and horseradish but instead it was served as separate entities which I think included commercially prepared horseradish cream (which was served to my husband with his beef the following day) this could have been so good because the flavours work so well together. This seemed to be symptomatic of other dishes served to our party but some of the others were excellent the sea bass and smoked haddock especially. Again desserts were mixed with some excellent ( the creme brûlée was gorgeous ) but others didn't quite work my husband had a strawberry and pistachio tart which was quite odd! On the Sunday my husband ordered roast beef which was a beautiful piece of meat but the texture appeared to be more braised rather than roast and my liver was very definitely overcooked not retaining any pink softness but was grey and over cooked. That said the breakfasts were lovely with a food selection and plentiful.
I guess if I had made some other choices from the bistro menu this would have been a 5 Star review but for me on this occasion the restaurant didn't quite make it, otherwise a really nice place to stay, and unlike other reviewers we were not bothered at all by the wedding party or the birthday party that were sharing the hotel with us on the Saturday evening and we heard no noise.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank potion-lady

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We are overall happy with your comments regarding your stay with us especially regarding our staff and beautifully located Hotel.

I was disappointed to read your choice of food from our Bistro menu did not live up to your expectations. However, due to the popularity of our very successful Cook Book and busy Bistro I feel the majority of the time we do get it right.

Once again many thanks for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marley Hill
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hote...
#43 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
#1 of 20 in Gateshead
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#2 of 20 in Gateshead

Been to Beamish Park Hotel? Share your experiences!