“slow service mixed thoughts”
Review of Beamish Park Hotel

Beamish Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marley Hill
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We went for a family birthday celebration in July and the bar was not too busy but for some reason it took a long time for the food orders to be taken, others had arrived after us and gone into eat before we had given our order. If fact we had to go and ask how much longer it would be as we had booked for 7.45 and it was an hour later before we were shown to our table.
The food was tasty and presented well but some of the flvouring twists were not necessary and for some it spoilt was was good food. Because we were a large group then the service for the main courses was a bit hit and miss. For example several of us were having steaks, they came but it was 10 minutes before the chips arrived and we were told the kitchen could only prepare so many at a time. So it was fine for some of the group and for others it was below the mark. The service and waiting time though was not acceptable and we never did get an explanation as to why we were left and we had to chase staff to place our order.
Would I go back, not sure but I certainly would not book here for a group of more than 10 as they seem to struggle to cope with getting the food on the table.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
SMBP020, Director of Sales at Beamish Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

As it was a family celebration the Team did not wish to rush your order and gave you longer than perhaps necessary to choose from the menu.

However, sincere apologies for the delay in service at your table.

Thank you for the compliments with regard to the food and presentation.

The Bistro is very popular for celebrations of large parties and I do hope you will return so we may restore your failth in us.

Please contact me direct to place your booking.

Many thanks

There are newer reviews for Beamish Park Hotel

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Dined here again last night with relatives and had an excellent meal. Starters were all wonderful - and a good selection to choose from - the duck is highly recommended. For mains I had a well done sirlion with triple cooked chips and my cousin had a medium rare one. Both were cooked to perfection and exactly how we both like them. All of the food was excellent and the wine - a 2012 Caberbnet Sauvignon from Chile at about £17 was perfect for our steaks. I'm always pleased when I dine here - the quiet ambience, chic decor, attentive staff and fantastic food all add up to make this the best English restaurant for miles around. AA rosettes are under rated and compare easily with Michelin stars - this restaurant tucked away in North Durham has two rosettes and keeps them year after year. Love it!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank John B
SMBP020, Director of Sales at Beamish Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

As a regular diner in our Bistro, it is good to hear that we continue to serve good food and you are never disappointed!

We look forward to your return very soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

For my wife's birthday I booked a meal at Close House golf club, in the No.19 restaurant. We had " the soon to be famous " Braised beef with dumplings.
It was to put it bluntly, awful! the braised beef was rare with blood in the middle, and the dumplings were so salty they were almost indelible!
When the waitress informed the female chef about this, apparently the reply was " well that is how I cook my food "! We were offered free sweets, we declined! The waitress knocked the price of our ginger beers off the substantial bill!
I was really annoyed and upset because it spoilt my wife's day.
The day after we tried here ( I wanted to put things right! ). We had white vegetable soup with crusty brown bread, my wife had steak and mushroom with Guinness pie, I had salmon fish cakes, we finished with a coffee. Everything was lovely, the service was very good and the place has a really warm feel about it. What a difference!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thewitts

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I was sad to hear of the bad experience you had at another Hotel but delighted you were able to rectify this and enjoyed your meal at our Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming your return soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed here for one night for our wedding anniversary. Wanted a peaceful break so took a chance booking this hotel and wasn't disappointed. Receptionist was very welcoming and willing to help including extending our check out time so we could have a longer lie in. Hotel looked like it had recently been decorated, very clean and fresh looking. Our room was lovely and had everything we needed, was also able to park car outside our room. Slept very well curtains kept the room dark even in the morning. Bed was very comfortable and large. Didn't eat at hotel as we had a meal out in the evening and opted for a lie in instead of breakfast. Had a drink in the bar great atmosphere. Would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted with your comments and next time you stay we look forward to your feedback regarding our award winning Bistro.

Many thanks

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

My partner and myself booked into the Beamish Park Hotel last minute as a treat through laterooms.com for only £75 and could not have been happier.
Firstly, a mistake on my part as I thought I was booking for Beamish Hall but I couldn't have been more pleased with my mistake.
On arrival we were greeted by a polite and friendly receptionist that have us all the information we needed.
The walk to our room was a joy itself as we saw the lovely layout of the hotel and the beautiful decor. First look at our room for the night, we were more than happy. Clean, spacious, fresh smell, nice bathroom and a love n comfy king sized bed. After getting settled in, we headed to the restaurant for our booking and were quickly seated by another friendly member of staff.
Now this is my only negative with our stay, as much as we both enjoyed our meal (we both had steak) I felt the menu was very limited and over priced for what actually came on the plate.
After our meal we had another quick drink in the bar area before heading to bed for a lovely nights sleep.
We would both definitely come back again but would think about dining else where if the menu was the same.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor,

We are delighted with your overall comments and duly noted your comment regarding our Bistro and Head Chef has been informed.

We look forward to welcoming your return very soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Booked at the very last minute due to a bad experience the night before at a different hotel which we had booked to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. Beamish Park Hotel basically bent over backwards to accommodate us. The excellent receptionist did everything she could to make our stay pleasurable including early check-in, free upgrade, price match and complimentary breakfast. Our room was faultless and exceeded our expectations in every way. All staff were professional yet friendly and the meals to a very high standard. Overall an excellent experience, we will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We are absolutely delighted with your comments and it was lovely to hear how we went the extra mile to make your stay memorable.

We look forward to welcoming your return soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I've visited the Durham area a few times of late and stayed at some good places (but this time they were fully booked) and some that weren't (and I wasn't that desperate to need to go back) and then I chanced on Beamish Park Hotel.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the food as the call of Yo Sushi at the nearby Metro Centre on a "blue Monday" was far too strong but having sampled the delights of a hearty breakfast with smiling service, next time I may just forgo my "treat" to give evening dining here a try.

The arrival was warm and courteous and efficient and when given my keys I was given a key card and a normal key. What's these for I enquired to find out one was for the patio window that allowed me to move my car around to the rear and unpack my car straight into the room. Brilliant for someone who carries so much with him on business trips.

The room was "mammoth" and the bed so comfortable too.

I would thoroughly (and genuinely) recommend this accommodation to anyone visiting the area for one night or for a base to travel around the locality. Oh and yes, I will be returning and keeping my fingers crossed that the evening meal matches the rest of my recent experience.

Room Tip: Try room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter G
SMBP020, Director of Sales at Beamish Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We are absolutely delighted with your comments and happy you found us.

We certainly look forward to your return very soon and eating in our Bistro.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marley Hill
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hote...
#43 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
#2 of 20 in Gateshead
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#1 of 20 in Gateshead

Been to Beamish Park Hotel? Share your experiences!