“The Best Vacation Ever!!!!”
Review of Giant's Foot Surf

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Gigante
Giant's Foot Surf
Reviewed 30 July 2013

First of All, I would like to thank GFS crew for all the hospitality that we received. To be honest with you, if you like to surf, this is the place to be. Don't you expect luxury in this place, but for sure you going to score some good quality waves with the master Mr. Conrad. The food is so good. You have three meals every single day. Rooms are okay. They have A/C and fans. The only thing that you need to bring with you is the OFF for the Mosquitoes. The only thing that I suggest to is the WIFI. Need more range? Other than that, I would like to go back again to the same place. Thanks GSF, see you soon!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank papote c

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I consider myself a weekend warrior, I work a normal 9-5 job and have to plan my vacations in advanced. So with this in mind I looked around for the best deal possible that met my three key personal requests... 1-reasonable price, 2-had to be an ocean front property and 3- must offer unlimited boat access to surf..... this place has all three. This place is very simple with no luxuries located in a really cool laid back little town, so if you are looking for luxury go elsewhere. Nevertheless, there is WIFI and the rooms are very clean (serviced daily) with A/C, however, no hot water (you dont really need it, but just so you know in case it matters to you). This place is for people who want to surf, surf and surf and they'll make sure of that. They will wake you up really early (pre-dawn) and have you in the water in no time. There are tons of spots around and they have the place wired just make sure you talk to Conrad the night before he'll know where to go and at the best time (he is the man). They will take you out 3 times a day if you are up for it. Other places will take you out on the boat only once daily and then stuck surfing the same spot every afternoon, not here they will show you different breaks at times 3 different spots in a day.The food is really good, from the pre-dawn coffe and cereal to the three main daily meals, all these with endless beer, rum, coke, and frescas. One note, If you like juice with your breakfast you have to get it in the pulperia for cheap since they didnt offer any (they'll keep it cold for you though) and make sure you take mosquito repelant you will thank me later. The staff is full with really cool humble people, they will take care of you. We left the place feeling like we now have really cool new friends for life.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Felix-d-Fish
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I traveled here with a friend to surf our brains out. We were not disappointed. We met Bryce and Nathan in Managua at the airport and they drove us back to Playa Gigante. Be prepared for a 2.5-3 hour drive there. On the way, Bryce made sure we stopped for some snacks, BEER and other refreshments. Once we got to GFS, we quickly unpacked our surf bags and waxed up to join the group for their 3rd session of the day.

The hotel itself isn't that big, so you will get to know the other people very well. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how you guys get along, skill level, etc. Be aware that you WILL be with these people day and night. So if you don't want to get to know others, bring some friends. Luckily, my friend and I got along well with the other guests as well as the surf guides.

The room we stayed in had AC and was clean. Be prepared for mosquitoes!! I forgot to bring repellant and got eaten alive both while hanging out and sleeping. The food was good and unlimited beer could not be beaten. Toña and Victoria beer all day and night. If you don't drink beer, there are sodas and water too.

A typical day for us was as follows. Breakfast at 4-5 AM, . Head out on the boat for Dawn Patrol right after. After surfing for a few hours, paddle back to the boat for some water and beer and go back to camp for a hot breakfast #2. Take a nap on the hammocks or whatever you want to do. We then go back out for session 2 for a few hours. Come back to camp for lunch and a break. Third session is the last one for the day before the sun goes down. Head back to camp for dinner. After dinner, the guests and guides would hang out drinking beer or watch some movies. White trash Wednesdays at the hostel next door and happy hour on Saturdays can get a little loud, but I didn't mind. It was fun to meet the people in town (guests and locals) and listen to some music.

I really liked that you could surf as much as you want. By day 5 session 2, I had to take a break because my muscles could not take it anymore. Paddling muscles were getting weak and I was kooking it on a lot of waves. The cool thing is that if you need a break, you can get one. I ended up going out with Conrad and some of the other guests to go fish instead. There are some cool things you can do if you need a break from surfing. But don't take too many of them. I am missing the offshore winds already and am sad to go. The swell wasn't too powerful when we went, so Conrad and the other guides knew exactly what spot would be fun. He would ask us what we wanted to surf. We had a lot of choices of places to surf and sometimes we would choose the uncrowded spots to surf with just our group. Sometimes we would choose a faster, more crowded break the next time. You can really have your choice here at GFS. They won't tell you where you NEED to go, but they will give you good suggestions on where you CAN go. I would listen to them since they know the tides, the swell, and the crowds.

GFS is a small group of great people and the business is run like a family. This is what I was hoping for when we booked the trip here. We didn't know anyone who had gone there before and just tried it out based on some reviews on TA and surfermag forums. We were not disappointed and would definitely go again. I will send all my friends who want to surf Nicaragua here.

I gave the swimming pool rating average since they don't have one. But I guess you can count the ocean if you want. They didn't really have a fitness center either, but I considered surfing my fitness center and it was definitely excellent.

Room Tip: There aren't many rooms to choose from, but try to get one of the rooms inside the main building...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Just wanted to Thank everyone again at GFS for the time of my life! Bryce, Conrad, Coley, Drew, Kai and the rest of the staff exceeded my expectations for this trip. If your looking to surf your brains out 3 times a day; than this is place! Conrad (head captain) had us scoring at least 2 out of 3 sessions everyday. There are a handful of other surf boats in the area; none have a boat captain like Conrad who makes sure your scoring the best spot each time of day. We came to jokingly call the other boat of surfers in the area "Team Never On It" as they showed up 1.5 - 2 hours later then we did at every break, after we scored the right tide of course. Food and fun was just as great; Lucre (house mother) had prepared some of the best food i have eaten out of the country, alongside Coley (an awesome chef from TX) who added his flair to each meal (and no; its not just rice and beans for lunch and dinner). There was no downtime unless you wanted it. I was there to surf and in a 7 day trip had managed to chalk up 21 surf sessions and 40+ hours in the water. There was no hesitating when we wanted to surf. "You ready?... Nos Vamos!"
The outlook for the rest of the summer looks great for the Gigante Region, that includes breaks likes Colorado's, Panga Drops, Rancho Santana, Lance's Left and Popoyo. I highly suggest this place if your looking to do absolutely nothing but surf. They will make sure you are worry free when it comes to scoring waves.
And if your looking to simply come down for a vacation with your significant other who may not surf; there is plenty to do in the little town of Gigante; massages, kayaks, surf lessons, snorkeling, fishing... you name it they can make it happen.
After my experience with these guys i am currently trying to figure out how to get back there before summer ends and quite possibly move there; as my experience with this Surf Hostel changed my life forever. Hope to see you all down there soon!
And Bryce and Conrad; I thank you both again and again for your service. I saw no way that i could have done a better trip or squeezed anymore fun into my week! You guys are awesome! See you in a few more weeks...Estoy Viviendo!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2012

The thing that really stands out about Giant's foot is the extra care they take in everything they do. In all categories the people at Giant's foot choose comfort and quality over the cheapest solution. It really does feel like you are part of a family or close group of friends.
I think what makes this difference is that everybody that works there also lives there, including the owner. For example, the included meals, served every day? It is good food because the owner doesn't buy the cheap stuff, and the chefs, who eat with you, fix the most delicious healthy meals.
At the end of the day, you can sit down and watch a movie, or chill in the hammock watching the sun set. What’s not to love?
For a laid back get away and a chance to recharge the batteries, it honestly doesn't get better than this, even if you don't surf.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JesseHoward
Reviewed 2 August 2012

GFS provided an amazing surf vacation. The all inclusive nature made it totally relaxing - clean rooms, tasty food, excellent surf guides, plenty of drinks, cheesy movies, and comfy hammocks. The surf guides know the breaks and conditions so well that they can really personalize your multiple daily surf sessions for your skill level and desired experience. If your paddling muscles need a morning off, you can abuse your arms trying to land some fishes. The entire crew at GFS is like a special family that welcomes you home in a little sandy piece of paradise.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2012

i used to think i didn't need much to make a good vacation- a beach, a comfortable bed, and not being at work made me happy. then i came here. i was surrounded by a hilarious group of guys who are fun but make sure you're totally taken care of. i got fed awesome food (ok seriously, you had me at freshly made cookies as if the ceviche hadn't already done that). i got brought to great beaches to surf, caught my first fish ever (we caught lots at that) and generally made to feel a part of the gigante family. and i drank a lot of beer and rum. it is so worth more than the money spent. where else do you get to meet people who are so excited to wake up at 5 am to take you out for dawn patrol every morning, back out later in the morning, back out in the evening, especially when you're a terrible surfer? the people alone made the trip worth it, but everything that comes with staying at giant's foot really made this the best vacation ever. do not miss coming here!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Playa Manzanillo
Mango Rosa Nicaragua
Mango Rosa Nicaragua
#1 of 4 in Playa Marsella

Been to Giant's Foot Surf? Share your experiences!