“So good!”
Review of Papagayos - CLOSED

Papagayos
Description: We are family run restaurant specializing in fresh homemade food. All our ingredients are locally sourced and in-season. We are simple food prepared with love, served with a smile, in a tasteful atmosphere.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“So good!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The food is fresh and flavourful and the staff is friendly! I enjoyed the ceviche which was delicious and was served with light, thin and crispy plantain chips. It was hands down the best ceviche I have had in Central America. For dessert I had a homemade brownie with ice cream. The brownie tasted like home and was chewy and chocolaty! I have a sweet tooth and would say this brownie ranks in my top 5 brownie I have ever had :)

• Visited May 2014

Victor, Idaho
“Most inspired menu in Gigante, romantic atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

While it's a little out of my price range (I shouldn't say that...it's still pretty good compared to the States, I'm just a cheapskate), this is definitely a restaurant to visit while in Playa Gigante. The service is great, and the food was amazing. I ordered a kale salad for $4, mostly because I wasn't that hungry. It tasted like home, which was nice because I haven't been home in months. My boyfriend tried the soup of the day, beet and tomato, for $6 and it tasted great as well. Sometimes it's hard to get variety in your diet while traveling (I've eaten A LOT of gallo pinto in Nicaragua), so this restaurant is a nice little treat, especially with all its homemade ingredients and some local farm-sourced ingredients. The restaurant itself also looks very classy and clean (which can be hard to find in some places in Nicaragua).

Bellingham, Washington
“Yum”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Pretty damn good food and a great place to grab food, beers and some laughs. Funny as heck, the guys and gals who work there are great, entertaining hosts.

If you are staying in Gigante do not miss pizza night.

• Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“Far and away best dinner spot in the area!!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

New place off to a great start. Limited menu but everything is beautifully prepared and attractively presented. Chef Valerie and sous chef and part owner, Robbie prepare fish, chicken and creative nightly specials. Waiter and barkeep, Hugh, charms everybody and is extremely competent as well!! Don't miss Papagayos if you're on the Nicaragua Riviera!!

• Visited February 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding find in Gigante”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Little Robert, Jack and bar keep Hugh keep the jokes coming, the ambiance charming and the service attentive at this small bar and restaurant at beautiful Playa Gigante.

My girlfriend and I stumbled into Papagayos in January 2014, and wanted to stay for good. We drank heartily, though didn't eat. That said having met the matriarch chef, and judging by the nods of approval from other patrons, we are sure the food is outstanding.

The hospitality of the hosts though is what would keep us coming back. Sometimes places just feel right. Good luck chums.

• Visited January 2014