“Not at all up to standard!”
Review of Oddfellows Arms

Oddfellows Arms
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Caldbeck
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I went for a summer evening meal in the restaurant and despite the flies which this restaurant seems to have problems with (this was not an issue)... We ordered a meal and starters was fine as always but then the main course came I was truly disappointed. My steak was that thin I didn't really need a steak knife to cut it, the chips were so soaked in fat that when you picked one up it bent with the weight of soggy fat, this was surprising and not at all appertising. When our waitress came over to ask if everything was ok I very quietly told her about the steak and the chips. She said sorry and she would tell the chef.... I actually thought that the chef would come out or they would replace my meal? No not another visit to our table. This was a long awaited night off for my husband and I and the meal was not up to the normal standard as we have to travel quite a way to come to this restaurant. I asked for the bill and once again the waitress said sorry!!! sorry didnt make my £60 bill feel any better as I because I couldn't eat my meal I would be going home for something to eat.
I must say that we make an effort to travel to this restaurant many times a year and on all other occasions we have had no need to complain but this time sorry really wasn't good enough. We will give it another try during the summer and will not completely count out this restaurant but will force the sorry issue a little further next time !!!

5  Thank Murray192

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Amazing scampi & chips, we visit regularly. Great space, lovely sized dining room, staff are brilliant, always friendly and willing to go the extra mile.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here for 1 night while doing the Cumbria way. Spacious room and bathroom, a bit outdated but nice and clean. The beef lasagna was good, fairly priced. Lovely inn with friendly staff!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked the Oddfellows Arms as a very last minute deal on Saturday morning (12/7/14) - we were actually going to see a band in Thursby, some 8 miles away. When we spoke to Helen, she could not have been more helpful, she quickly got two rooms sorted for us. We asked her about taxis to and from Thursby (not a lot of taxis in these areas) and I could not beleive the effort she put in trying sort the taxi for us - outstanding customer service. As it turns out the taxi driver (who arrived on time at both ends) was great almost give us a sight seeing tour on the way to the gig.
We had dinner at the Oddfellows - the food was outstanding - we had a mixture of steake and homemade stake and ale pie. Again Helen and the rest of the staff could not have been more helpful - nothing was a problem and they went the extra mile to ensure all was OK. We stayed in the annex next to the pub - the rooms were very clean and more than ample for our one night stay.
The breakfast was excellent and very tasty.
I would recommend the Oddfellows Arms and look forward to returning.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked this on a whim as all the boring Premier Inns etc nearer the M6 on my way to Scotland were full - so glad I did. It's a lovely inn in a beautiful village in attractive countyside. The B and B at £40 was a bargain and fish and chip supper was generous in both portion-size and £9.95 price. I didn't ask for poppadums with it so cannot comment on that aspect of things. The room in the annexe was modern and had everything you need. The beer I had was Jennings own real ale and was good. As much as anything I enjoyed overhearing conversations in the bar: there was the pukka septuagenarian male hillwalker who announced loudly that the best place to see scantily-clad young women was Newcastle on a Friday or Saturday night (thanks for the top tip, I'll bear it in mind) or the sneaky guest who told the barstaff that 'there's a dog in Room 6' which I thought was not very gallant. Also some local drinkers found 'Poppadum-gate' very drole (see reviews passim). Breakfast the following day was all you could want also. My only very slight quibble is that I found the 'music' in the bar a bit loud for my taste, but otherwise top marks.

1  Thank BasilFAylesbury